Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_interface_2012-250x160.jpg
While Apple has been rumored for a number of years to have been working on a television set project, reports have become more scarce over the past year as interest in a potential smart watch has gained steam. According to a report from NPD DisplaySearch, the rumor trends are indeed a reflection of what is happening at Apple, with the company apparently putting the TV project "on hold again" as wearables such as the "iWatch" have taken priority.
According to sources in the TV supply chain, it appears that Apple's long-rumored TV plans, which were far from concrete anyway, have been put on hold again, possibly to be replaced by a rollout of wearable devices. Although many financial and industry analysts have been speculating about Apple's entrance into the TV business via an actual TV (instead of the Apple TV "hobby" set-top-box) for years, during the last year the rumor-mill has shifted into high gear about a 2014 introduction. Indeed, our own information from TV supply chain sources pointed to the fact that Apple appeared to be lining up resources for a product introduction in the second half of 2014, likely with 2-3 large screen sizes and 4K resolution.

However, the hangup has always been the content.
The report is not specific about how DisplaySearch has arrived at its conclusion that Apple's TV project has been put on hold, but the firm closely watches the display supply chain and likely is not yet seeing any significant movement toward an Apple television.

Apple has reportedly been working on advancing its Apple TV set-top box, but Apple's efforts to revolutionize the television experience will require the company to reach agreements with content providers and cable companies, a process that has been underway for several years but yet to result in any significant progress.

Meanwhile, focus on Apple wearables has continued to pick up steam amid continuing rumors that the company is shooting for a late 2014 launch of an iWatch that would run "full iOS". Fueling speculation in recent days has been an announcement that Apple will build a major new manufacturing plant in Arizona to produce sapphire glass. While sapphire is currently used to protect the iPhone's rear camera and the Touch ID sensor of the iPhone 5s, the deal points to a major expansion of Apple's sapphire plans that could include scratch-resistant wearable devices or even full sapphire glass front panels for future iPhones.

Article Link: Apple's TV Plans Reportedly On Hold Again as Wearables Take Priority

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Some day, some day. But seriously, I question whether there really is a "TV" in development, or if this has all been some mirage.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You mean they won't build TVs that have been rumoured for ages, without one bit of actual evidence, but instead they will work on "wearables", which also have been rumoured for ages, without any bit of actual evidence?

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Makes sense. The TV market is far harder to break into. Most people don't have smart watches.

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
While I am disheartened at this news, it is the better business decision. One device per person vs. one device per family is better for the bottom line.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
AppleTV is the easiest market for Apple, release an SDK and let the developers do their magic. Yet they continuously shoot themselves in the foot. Even game consoles are integrating media powerhouses.

Abandon this ridiculous tv 'set' and focus on the box.

This watch better be damn good.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I'm sorry but the TV makes no real sense. They cost quite a bit to produce, Apple owns no plants aside from maybe a stake a in the Sharp which hasn't been great-

Why not just revolutionize the AppleTV to do the same thing? Much cheaper to produce, sell, and probably a far higher margin than any TV...

jestep

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Dumped Anyway for Roku

I replaced my downstairs Apple TV with ROKU anyway as it has much more flexibility and more channels out of the box.

My point is the TV will be just as "good" as Apple TV anyway

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Makes sense as wearable are the "hot" and growing category here BUT I'd bet whatever Apple's TV plans are they are more delayed by its inability to cobble unique programming deals than anything else. TV is nothing w/o content. It's got to me more than just a TV screen w/ an Apple logo. That's kind of a losing horse out the gate as margins are tight there and even "high end" quality and "large screen" TVs are rather inexpensive.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
I have a virgin wrist.

I don't have a watch on my wrist and I don't like wearing any jewelry on my fingers, neck, wrists, etc. But, Apple will probably change that because it will be the new cool to wear wearables.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I replaced my downstairs Apple TV with ROKU anyway as it has much more flexibility and more channels out of the box.

Please explain. I've been debating whether to get my parents a Roku 3 or ATV. They are no tech savvy at all & would mostly be watching Amazon prime content which ATV doesn't have unless you stream from an iPad. No problem for me, but for them it could get kind of confusing. Would love to hear the negatives on Roku vs ATV.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Please, we just want an A7 based Apple TV 4 with apps (even if more heavily curated than the App Store) and game controller support...

Certainly strategy must be more of what's holding this up than technology...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I know content providers are a pain in the ass but apple should just go the route they did with the iPhone and get a Provider to work with them instead. They can make the tv cheaper through subsidies and they can just plug the tv in with the cable wire and get all the content right there. Over the coarse of time most providers will just release a free app anyway.

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I'm not surprised. I hope Apple keeps the Apple "TV" just a box, and focuses its time on new, more innovative products than a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.