Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the start of orders for the Retina iPad mini a few hours ago, Apple has issued a press release officially announcing the launch. The release notes that the Retina iPad mini will not only be available for online orders, but also through the in-store Personal Pickup mechanism by which customers can check stocks at their local Apple retail stores and purchase online before heading to their stores to pick up their orders. Walk-in sales will apparently not be offered until supplies improve.

ipad_mini_retina_pickup.jpg
Stocks of the Retina iPad mini have apparently yet to make their way to Apple's U.S. retail stores, as all stores are currently showing no availability for pickup, but limited supplies should be arriving shortly. Some of Apple's international stores do, however, already have stock available for in-store pickup, as noted by MacStories' Federico Viticci, who has placed an order for pickup and confirmed with his local store in Italy that supplies are indeed available.

Availability through Apple's online store appears to be holding up for the time being, with the company's U.S. stores showing the same shipping estimates seen at the time orders went live: 1-3 business days for 16 and 32 GB Wi-Fi models and 5-10 business days for all other models.

Update: Some U.S. retail stores on the East Coast are beginning to show availability of Wi-Fi models for Personal Pickup. Many stores have all 8 color/capacity Wi-Fi configurations available at the moment.

ipad_mini_retina_store_available.jpg
Update 2: Apple has now opened up Personal Pickup availability for a number of its stores across the United States. Many stores are, however, still listing no in-store stock, and those that do have stock are seeing quick sellouts of many models.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Launching with Personal Pickup, but No U.S. In-Store Availability Yet [Updated]

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
I ordered a 32GB WiFi, Supposed to Arrive 19-21.

If they are available earlier, ill just cancel order.
But incase of backlog, thought I'd get in line.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Picked up in store Salem, NH.....got a Space Grey 32GB.

Very nice!! Screen is gorgeous.

-Kevin

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Any rumors on when Target will start getting them? Got this $200 trade-in card burning a hole in my pocket...

fr3drik

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Picked up a silver 16GB Wi-Fi in SoHo, NYC. I got an email 15 minutes after having placed the order, saying I could come pick it up. I skipped engraving (which may or may not have made the order processing quicker).

$434 all in all.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Awesome. Do you notice that little bit of extra weight?
Any tinting issues on screen?

Do I notice any extra weight.....yes, when holding iPad mini in one hand and the retina in the other.....the retina is slightly heavier. Would I notice it without holding both....probably not.

As for the screen....so far so good. This coming from someone who went through 8 iPad 3's when they came out and eventually skipped it and the 4. Pretty uniform as far as I can tell right now. The real test will be using it daily and reading on it.

Comparing the screen to the regular iPad.....hands down no brainer choice to get the retina mini.

-Kevin

kulkep

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
just picked up a space gray 64 mini retina from W14th St. This upgrades my 3rd gen iPad. So far so good :)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Do I notice any extra weight.....yes, when holding iPad mini in one hand and the retina in the other.....the retina is slightly heavier. Would I notice it without holding both....probably not.

As for the screen....so far so good. This coming from someone who went through 8 iPad 3's when they came out and eventually skipped it and the 4. Pretty uniform as far as I can tell right now. The real test will be using it daily and reading on it.

Comparing the screen to the regular iPad.....hands down no brainer choice to get the retina mini.

-Kevin

Thanks!

I assume that the front glass is similar to the original mini (i.e., not laminated)?

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I cancelled the initial online order that did not allow in-store pickup and re-ordered it and just picked it up in a local Apple store on the East Coast. So far it looks very good, the color profile is a bit cooler than on my iPad 3.

It does not feel noticeably heavier than the first generation iPad Mini to me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ordered 2 16GB WiFi + one 16GB Cellular (VZW) this morning. Was lucky and spotted a local store w/ 16GB WiFi so picked up one but too late to cancel one of the online orders as it was already "preparing to ship."

Last edited:

Eitel

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Picked up in store Salem, NH.....got a Space Grey 32GB.

Very nice!! Screen is gorgeous.

-Kevin

I got a Space Grey 64GB. Same store. Still waiting for the email saying it's ready.

andy318

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Just curious, what was the deciding factor for you to go from full size to mini? Thanks.

I am in the same boat upgrading my 3rd gen iPad and am as confused as ever, lol. :confused:

The fact that i can slip the mini into the back pocket of my jeans is why its the perfect size for me. The iPad Air is too big for that of course. Btw, the Nexus 7 fits in the back pocket but is narrower than it needs to be. Its not the right form factor for reading.
The iPad Mini is perfect in that sense.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
got a 32GB space gray from rockingham park. Pickup email 20 minutes after pick-up order placed. Awesome!

kulkep

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Just curious, what was the deciding factor for you to go from full size to mini? Thanks.

I am in the same boat upgrading my 3rd gen iPad and am as confused as ever, lol. :confused:

Well when I went from the iPad to to the 3rd gen, I immediately notice how much heavier it was. The only thing that is great about the 3rd gen is the screen. The charging time, how hot it gets and weight all are awful.

Now to answer your question. Since I just got the mid 2013 MacBook Air 13, I felt like I didn't really need a full sized iPad anymore. I went to the store last week and it was confirmed when I held the iPad Air. The weight isn't the issue, it's the form factor.

I'm restoring from back up now and will update my experience, once I use it.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
are there any theories on why this is a quiet launch.

At first, the apple supporter in me was like well Apple really cares about its loyal customers and doesn't really care about simulating demand with massive sellouts within hours.

Then after calmly reflecting, I realized Apple probably just purposely don't want to tell people to buy an ipad mini with retina because ipad air maeks so much more $$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.