Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_icon_170.jpg
Apple has recently doubled the number of promo codes that developers receive per app release, according to multiple developers on Twitter. The company is now allowing 100 app download codes to be generated with each app update instead of 50, giving developers more codes to share with friends, family, and press.

Each time a developer releases a new app or an app update, they can generate promotional codes that allow users to download an app ahead of release. Generally these codes are provided to press for reviews, and when the generated codes are used up, no additional codes can be obtained until the app is updated.

With an extra 50 codes to go around, developers will have more freedom and flexibility when promoting their apps in the future. While Apple has yet to confirm the promo code increase, developers are already seeing the additional codes in iTunes Connect.

Article Link: Apple Now Allowing iOS Developers to Generate 100 Promo Codes Per App Release

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Well, since you said that, and since I have a lot of them to spare now, here:

Cine Lumiè
X3N6WH4WNWF7

Coowl
NY3P4X9JF9XF
4EL7Y6WPR6AN

Thank you for generosity. This reassures me that there are nice people in the world.

majorrom

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Here's 5 for my app GravCube:
WWRTPWY3FW4N
W43WAKFJ3FFP
6T94JJTRPPAW
XTRHPXJAE6TH
EEJ44FEFTP7R

Let me know if you use one, and tell your friends about the app since my dev account is expiring soon.

Last edited:

brente

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
confirmed 100 codes

Yeah it's funny because I had an iPad app approved today. The email said that we had 50 codes. Their documentation says you have 50 codes. But within iTunes Connect, you can see 100 codes available.

Very cool Apple, thank you!

I highly recommend using the Tokens app for managing and keeping track of your promo codes. http://usetokens.com

Also check out the trailer for our pretend play iPad app for kids. Going live next week:
http://www.pretendasaurus.com

cheers,
brent

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
WWRTPWY3FW4N
W43WAKFJ3FFP
6T94JJTRPPAW
XTRHPXJAE6TH
EEJ44FEFTP7R

Let me know if you use one, and tell your friends about the app since my dev account is expiring soon.

Thank you!!
I redeemed: 6T94JJTRPPAW

and looks like the XTRHPXJAE6TH was redeemed by somebody too

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
5 codes for Qrafter Pro

Here are 5 codes for Qrafter Pro if you are familiar with QR Codes and would like to generate them on your device in addition to scanning them:

KRJKP3LY97MX
WL6AXY33KKY7
47L34W4R9WKA
LHRMKE6469XR
MHAR3EEKMEFR

Cheers!

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Here are 5 codes for Qrafter Pro if you are familiar with QR Codes and would like to generate them on your device in addition to scanning them:

KRJKP3LY97MX
WL6AXY33KKY7
47L34W4R9WKA
LHRMKE6469XR
MHAR3EEKMEFR

Cheers!
LHRMKE6469XR redeemed

----------

WWRTPWY3FW4N
W43WAKFJ3FFP
6T94JJTRPPAW
XTRHPXJAE6TH
EEJ44FEFTP7R

At this point they are all redeemed. Just tried the first two and both were taken, and as per the other two posters, the 3/4/5 are gone.

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010

KRJKP3LY97MX
WL6AXY33KKY7
47L34W4R9WKA
LHRMKE6469XR
MHAR3EEKMEFR

Cheers!

----------------------------------

Redeemed Code:

MHAR3EEKMEFR

Thank-You... :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder,

Why don't they just make these unlimited? If a dev wants to give away copies of their app, why put a limitation on this?

lukebar

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Oak Park, IL
I wonder,

Why don't they just make these unlimited? If a dev wants to give away copies of their app, why put a limitation on this?

Unlimited promo codes opens the "possibility" of devs circumventing the app store by setting up their own stores and selling promo codes, which can then be redeemed in the actual app store, thereby eliminating Apple's 30% cut.

I'm not sure how likely this scenario would be, but it would certainly be possible.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I wonder,

That's why there's free apps. Dev's can make their apps free for a period of time as well.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Unlimited promo codes opens the "possibility" of devs circumventing the app store by setting up their own stores and selling promo codes, which can then be redeemed in the actual app store, thereby eliminating Apple's 30% cut.

I'm not sure how likely this scenario would be, but it would certainly be possible.

Any app developer that did this to a significant degree would likely be caught almost immediately and banned from the store.

I don't think Apple has to worry about something as easy to police and punish for as this.

johax84

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Finland
Bad timing!

This news arrived just a little to late for me, when all our apps are free at EFDapps at the moment. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.