Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacemaker427

macrumors member
Original poster
I just opened the box on my new iPad Air and I'm having trouble already! There are 3 stubborn icons on the Safari screen that I've been unable to delete. They represent are 3 sites I visited on my old iPad-1 before I even ordered this iPad Air. I've searched online and found almost nothing related to THIS Apple device, though apparently MacBook has the same annoying issue. These little square aggrivations may or may not be called "applets." I really, REALLY hate having anything on my screen that refuses to be deleted!

Whoever can tell me how to delete this disease and prevent a repeat appearance will be my new best friend (okay, aside from my husband and sister). Help!!!

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I just opened the box on my new iPad Air and I'm having trouble already! There are 3 stubborn icons on the Safari screen that I've been unable to delete. They represent are 3 sites I visited on my old iPad-1 before I even ordered this iPad Air. I've searched online and found almost nothing related to THIS Apple device, though apparently MacBook has the same annoying issue. These little square aggrivations may or may not be called "applets." I really, REALLY hate having anything on my screen that refuses to be deleted!

Whoever can tell me how to delete this disease and prevent a repeat appearance will be my new best friend (okay, aside from my husband and sister). Help!!!

Can you provide some screen shots so i can better help you?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Those are iCloud bookmarks. You can disable them.
This. They are the sites in your Favorites folder in bookmarks (My Favorites folder has a star icon next to it)

It's just another way to get to your favorite sites quickly.

Lacemaker427

macrumors member
Original poster
I didn't expect 2 people to help within minutes! Thanks much!

We'll guys, I would be happy to post a screenshot if I knew how. I can take a Screenshot, and collect if from Photos, but as far as putting it here in MacRumors, that's where my knowledge hits a brick wall! (Additionally, I would rather keep these sites private {no, they're not puppy strangling "how-to" sites}, because they are medical in nature. I think I can, however, describe these "thingies" to your satisfaction.

In the large center "display box" portion of the screen space where websites (like MacRumors) reside while in use, there are 3 approx 1/2" x 1/2" icons, that when touched, take me directly to that website. I'm sure this is supposed to be some wonderful new feature, but, I really don't like it,...no, that's too generous,... I hate it 100%!

I can immediately find "Always Show Bookmarks" on my old iPad-1, but it is either not called that now, or it has been moved. However, since I downloaded everything from the old iPad-1 to the Air from my most recently saved version, shouldn't "Always Show Bookmarks" also be off on the Air? I just verified that ASB is OFF on my iPad-1.

Do you guys think these annoyances are, indeed, applets?

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
We'll guys, I would be happy to post a screenshot if I knew how. I can take a Screenshot, and collect if from Photos, but as far as putting it here in MacRumors, that's where my knowledge hits a brick wall! (Additionally, I would rather keep these sites private {no, they're not puppy strangling "how-to" sites}, because they are medical in nature. I think I can, however, describe these "thingies" to your satisfaction.

In the large center "
display box" portion of the screen space where websites (like MacRumors) reside while in use, there are 3 approx 1/2" x 1/2" icons, that when touched, take me directly to that website. I'm sure this is supposed to be some wonderful new feature, but, I really don't like it,...no, that's too generous,... I hate it 100%!

I can immediately find "Always Show Bookmarks" on my old iPad-1, but it is either not called that now, or it has been moved. However, since I downloaded everything from the old iPad-1 to the Air from my most recently saved version, shouldn't "Always Show Bookmarks" also be off on the Air? I just verified that ASB is OFF on my iPad-1.

Do you guys think these annoyances are, indeed, applets?

They are exactly what the guy above you said they are. Just go into the browser, click bookmarks, tap favorites then edit. Then delete all the sites saved in favorites and hit done. It's as simple as that. You're making this harder than it is.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
New iPad Air has 3 icons on Safari I can't delete!

This folder:
egu6u3ar.jpg

Contains the bookmarks that show up here:
upejy6u9.jpg

Understand?
You edit and delete the bookmarks in the favorites folder.

falconb

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
this is the solution to your problem

I'm gonna give you the solution without making you have to delete your favorites

(IF you want to delete your favorites that would solve your problem but you won't be able to reach for your favorites anymore. so that's what you should do if you want to permanently lose them)

follow these steps to remove the icons and keep all your bookmarks unharmed:-

(find the photos below and they should help)

1. go to safari on your iPad and click on the bookmark sign (i'm using iPhone but it looks like the one inside the red circle)

2. click "Edit" on the lower right corner then click on "New Folder" on the lower left corner and give any name you wish (i named it "Junk")

3. go to the "Settings" App then scroll down to "Safari" settings

4. click on "Favorites" then choose the newly-created empty folder instead of "Favorites"

then your problem should be solved

Attachments

• Photo Nov 13, 3 30 21 PM.png
    Photo Nov 13, 3 30 21 PM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Photo Nov 13, 3 41 04 PM.png
    Photo Nov 13, 3 41 04 PM.png
    73 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo Nov 13, 3 41 35 PM.png
    Photo Nov 13, 3 41 35 PM.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Photo Nov 13, 3 41 53 PM.png
    Photo Nov 13, 3 41 53 PM.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo Nov 13, 3 42 00 PM.png
    Photo Nov 13, 3 42 00 PM.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 190
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.