Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Spent all day trying to get windows 8 to install on my Haswell Macbook pro, which arrived this morning. Windows looks like it is going to install but at the end gives the error 'cannot update boot configuration.' The install is then cancelled. I am creating a thread here so those who are having this problem know they are not alone and to try to get community recognition of this issue. I have no solution as of yet. There have been some solutions suggested on the apple support forums. They involve using windows 7 (which I don't have) or using texura to reformat the bootcamp partition (which didn't work for me).

This is the apple support forum thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23525460?ac_cid=tw123456#23525460

faslane

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Win7 no go on has well late 13" retina mbp

Spent all day trying to get windows 8 to install on my Haswell Macbook pro, which arrived this morning. Windows looks like it is going to install but at the end gives the error 'cannot update boot configuration.' The install is then cancelled. I am creating a thread here so those who are having this problem know they are not alone and to try to get community recognition of this issue. I have no solution as of yet. There have been some solutions suggested on the apple support forums. They involve using windows 7 (which I don't have) or using texura to reformat the bootcamp partition (which didn't work for me).

This is the apple support forum thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23525460?ac_cid=tw123456#23525460

Same here but with Win 7 64-bit. Win7 installs fine but NO usb, No wifi, no keyboard or trackpad and can only force power off to leave windows. NO USB anything works at all after the win7 install so can't install bootcamp or drivers because no drivers for pan or wifi. So you basically get a stock service pack-less windows install until Apple releases a fix.

Jason HB

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Same here...has anyone figured this out yet? Or do we have to wait for Apple to fix something in bootcamp?

I've heard a few things on the Bios work around, but this seems to have ill affects on battery life and the system not able to switch between graphics cards.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Have you tried copying the Boot Camp drivers directly to the Windows partition (assuming you have Paragon NTFS for Mac or a similar program allowing read/write access to the Boot Camp partition) and installing from there? Should work at least with Windows 7, where the base install completed successfully.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Installed win 8.1 and didn't like it. Wen't back to win 7 and had an error the first time installing it. Deleted the partition and started over and it worked. Wen't through apples bootcamp assistant.

Jason HB

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I talked to Apple support...they were looking right at threads on their support forum about the problem but said "Sorry, I haven't heard of this before" and told me to call Microsoft. Why even have Bootcamp then?!

I called Microsoft and they were clueless and no help at all. I could hardly even understand the support reps I talked to.

Tried pretty much everything that people said was working from them but no luck for me.

I eventually ended up installing Windows 7 which worked and upgraded to 8.1 and everything seems to be working great. Only thing I don't have working 100% is the graphics card. I don't think it's setup to switch between dedicated and integrated graphics.

zeale

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
I just got my new rMBP yesterday and got Boot Camp installed successfully from a USB hard drive. I had to install the ISO (downloaded via google search direct link from Microsoft) on to the hard drive via Boot Camp Assistant, allow it to download support software, and I also downloaded and copied the boot camp support file from Apple's support site which created another folder full of drivers on the USB drive. I then let Boot Camp Assistant create the Windows partition, rebooted, held option down to force it to boot from the USB drive, and it took it from there. Once Windows was up and running, my USB was working and I was able to run the boot camp support setup which installed all of the remaining drivers for me.

I don't know what might have went wrong for you, but I wanted to go through my process that did work for me.

Platerpus7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Bootcamp Issues

I talked to Apple support...they were looking right at threads on their support forum about the problem but said "Sorry, I haven't heard of this before" and told me to call Microsoft. Why even have Bootcamp then?!

I called Microsoft and they were clueless and no help at all. I could hardly even understand the support reps I talked to.

Tried pretty much everything that people said was working from them but no luck for me.

I eventually ended up installing Windows 7 which worked and upgraded to 8.1 and everything seems to be working great. Only thing I don't have working 100% is the graphics card. I don't think it's setup to switch between dedicated and integrated graphics.

Hey, I was wondering how you got Windows 7 to install with Bootcamp? I have tried every way, with bootcamp and without. I have tried on 3 different brand new Haswell rMBP's and all have the same problem. It either freezes at 65% on installation, or it gives me an error and wont go to desktop. The problem is clearly on apples end but they refuse to help. If you know anything about fixing this that would be awesome, thanks.

----------

I just got my new rMBP yesterday and got Boot Camp installed successfully from a USB hard drive. I had to install the ISO (downloaded via google search direct link from Microsoft) on to the hard drive via Boot Camp Assistant, allow it to download support software, and I also downloaded and copied the boot camp support file from Apple's support site which created another folder full of drivers on the USB drive. I then let Boot Camp Assistant create the Windows partition, rebooted, held option down to force it to boot from the USB drive, and it took it from there. Once Windows was up and running, my USB was working and I was able to run the boot camp support setup which installed all of the remaining drivers for me.

I don't know what might have went wrong for you, but I wanted to go through my process that did work for me.

Do you have the Haswell MBP? bc those are the computers having the problems.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I had a hell of a time as well, and ultimately it came down to buying a new USB drive. I was using two high speed ones and it always failed, but finally using a new "slow" one it worked great. Used the Bootcamp assistant and all the driver installed correctly. Only took me about 20 attempts though :mad:

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Hey, I was wondering how you got Windows 7 to install with Bootcamp? I have tried every way, with bootcamp and without. I have tried on 3 different brand new Haswell rMBP's and all have the same problem. It either freezes at 65% on installation, or it gives me an error and wont go to desktop. The problem is clearly on apples end but they refuse to help. If you know anything about fixing this that would be awesome, thanks.

----------

Do you have the Haswell MBP? bc those are the computers having the problems.

I have a Haswell 15" MBP. No issues so far. I had a little trouble installing windows. Bootcamp wouldn't recognize my iso as 64 bit. I downloaded a different one and it installed flawlessly.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011

Mind sharing the iso link for Win 8 or 7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.