Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I think you used that line already.:rolleyes:

Doesn't make it any less funny.

Unfortunately I don't just root for my team after they won the World Series.

Says Mr. "I don't even start watching football until the Yankees are done." So by your own qualifications you were on the Giants bandwagon then a few years ago? :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Doesn't make it any less funny.

Says Mr. "I don't even start watching football until the Yankees are done." So by your own qualifications you were on the Giants bandwagon then a few years ago? :D
And the Yankees were done in September when football season started.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Have you seen the NFC East? Giants are not out yet.

I agree but wouldn't you say odds are pretty slim for NYG resurgence?

But I wouldn't even try to guess on this division. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. Maybe NY Giants will get in on wild card. I thought another Pats-Giants matchup would be fun, for old times sake and be this era's Steelers-Cowboys rivalry, but earlier this year I kind of wrote off that rematch possibility but who knows in sports. As with Boston Red Sox with bad year last year all the way to WS this year, it's never over until it's over and that can be said of any sports team. As long as it's numerically possible, a team can regain footing and win it all. I am sure people thought it would take years to rebuild the Red Sox into a great team again, but it only took a season.

As for teams surprising it fans, it can go the other way. I followed my Raiders when they went 8-0 only to lose eight in row and miss playoffs, and in baseball, went to see my SF Giants go 76-86 this year after WS victories in 2012 and 2010. Smart money, if I had to bet, would say that I would go with Dallas to win NFC East this year. I think it's the worst year for NYG in a long time but you can never count Eli Manning out. His numbers wouldn't indicate a severe threat with a 68.4 rating and 10 TDs mid-season but I didn't think he would have Super Bowl rings from the years that he pulled it off against what seemed better teams and QBs those years. Let's say NYG squeaks into wild card and gets past the likes of (probably) Saints and 49ers and Green Bay, and then beats Denver for SB, then some will say they thought it would have been like that because of the NYG talent. I just don't think too many people called it in 2007 and 2011 for them, and I don't think many will even call it for NYG to get into playoffs this year.

With seeing rival LA Dodgers start off similarly bad but then go onto dominate NL west and see Red Sox turn 2013 into the polar opposite of 2012, then who is to count out NYG in football's NFC East? IF the NYG get into the playoffs, then there is no better QB to face pressure than Eli Manning. I think he loves being considered the underdog. His actions have proven him to be an elite QB, even if it barely defines that definition over entire career stats.

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Have you seen the NFC East? Giants are not out yet.

They might as well be. That division is terrible. It's funny too because usually you're the one making fun of the Patriots for being in the "powderpuff division" but this year it's your Giants and they still aren't even .500 :p

Back on the topic of baseball, who's going to the parade tomorrow? ;):D

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
nope, nope. even year. giants turn again.

With that Lincecum signing it makes you wonder if they are even going to try this upcoming year. With Lincecum money the Giants could have landed other starters who seem less risky of becoming a dud.

I get what he meant to the club and his past contributions, but geez when does the business sense take over?

For the record, I hope he proves me wrong, but man this is truly a head scratcher.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
With that Lincecum signing it makes you wonder if they are even going to try this upcoming year. With Lincecum money the Giants could have landed other starters who seem less risky of becoming a dud.

I get what he meant to the club and his past contributions, but geez when does the business sense take over?

For the record, I hope he proves me wrong, but man this is truly a head scratcher.

IF: we stay healthy and our pitching stays strong i think they feel we can make a run with him in one role or another as we did in 2012.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Aah...the laments of the also rans...

Bwahahahah!

Attachments

• Smiling Face.png
    Smiling Face.png
    39 KB · Views: 67

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
IF: we stay healthy and our pitching stays strong i think they feel we can make a run with him in one role or another as we did in 2012.

Strangely they didn't pay him one role or another money, they paid him starter money. Im really scratching my head. Cain, Bum, Lincecum,

They need a lefty in the BP, possibly a closer, a left fielder, and two more starting pitchers... possibly another arm that can slide into the rotation should the lincecum experiment fail. I look forward to seeing how the roster rounds out. I think the dodgers stand a better chance at capturing the division but I love to be pleasantly surprised.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Strangely they didn't pay him one role or another money, they paid him starter money. Im really scratching my head. Cain, Bum, Lincecum,

They need a lefty in the BP, possibly a closer, a left fielder, and two more starting pitchers... possibly another arm that can slide into the rotation should the lincecum experiment fail. I look forward to seeing how the roster rounds out. I think the dodgers stand a better chance at capturing the division but I love to be pleasantly surprised.

he he he... yer not wrong.

but i'd stop trying to figure it out and live in the moment... :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So why did Terry Franconia win the Manager of the year award :confused:

I'm not knocking what he did in Cleveland, but you look at the RedSox where they were in last place, the clubhouse was in disarray, players in revolt and you have John Farrell taking that mess and helped steer the team to a wold series win.

I understand the GM had a lot to do with it, but getting rid of the caustic players, and getting some really good veterans but still the turn around was much more starker then the Indians.

I'm not upset, but wondering why - I'm sure Ferrell would rather have a world series win then a manager of the year award anyways

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

I'm not knocking what he did in Cleveland, but you look at the RedSox where they were in last place, the clubhouse was in disarray, players in revolt and you have John Farrell taking that mess and helped steer the team to a wold series win.

I understand the GM had a lot to do with it, but getting rid of the caustic players, and getting some really good veterans but still the turn around was much more starker then the Indians.

I'm not upset, but wondering why - I'm sure Ferrell would rather have a world series win then a manager of the year award anyways

Because absolutely nobody believed the Indians would be anywhere close to contenders; even the front office admitted they were spending money not to win this year but to show the fans they still cared and to fill some seats. A lot of people begged Cleveland as a .500 team.

The talent in Cleveland didn't add up to a winning team; the talent in Boston did.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

These awards are decided at the end of the regular season before the playoffs start. They don't take the World Series in to account.

I would argue that Girardi deserved some votes for keeping the walking dead afloat for a whole season.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Because absolutely nobody believed the Indians would be anywhere close to contenders; even the front office admitted they were spending money not to win this year but to show the fans they still cared and to fill some seats. A lot of people begged Cleveland as a .500 team.

The talent in Cleveland didn't add up to a winning team; the talent in Boston did.

That's not really how things were predicted at the beginning of the season. That's been hindsight + Boston's payroll, etc. Boston was supposed to finish third or worse behind Tampa Bay and Toronto/New York. This was predicted by lots of different news outlets and sites.

Without even considering the postseason, Boston led the division wire to wire when no on thought they had enough talent to do so.

I don't even really mind that Francona won. I love Tito. He's a great and deserving manager - however, a few people left Farrell off their ballots completely. That is absurd.

These awards are decided at the end of the regular season before the playoffs start. They don't take the World Series in to account.

I would argue that Girardi deserved some votes for keeping the walking dead afloat for a whole season.

I would, too. And didn't he get some? If not, he should have. Again, you have a big market bias in effect as usual in these races. Oh well, the only trophy that matters is in Boston right now. :)

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That's not really how things were predicted at the beginning of the season. That's been hindsight + Boston's payroll, etc. Boston was supposed to finish third or worse behind Tampa Bay and Toronto/New York. This was predicted by lots of different news outlets and sites.

Without even considering the postseason, Boston led the division wire to wire when no on thought they had enough talent to do so.

I don't even really mind that Francona won. I love Tito. He's a great and deserving manager - however, a few people left Farrell off their ballots completely. That is absurd.

I would, too. And didn't he get some? If not, he should have. Again, you have a big market bias in effect as usual in these races. Oh well, the only trophy that matters is in Boston right now. :)

I was one of the guys that definitely though Toronto was going to be #1. But I also thought Boston was going to be #2 as long as their past clubhouse problems were put in the past. Farrell did so, so I give him props. Toronto's inability to utilize talent shouldn't count towards Boston's ability to utilize talent, if that makes sense.

Cleveland expected to do much worse than they did.... Boston was expected to do slightly worse. I do think Farrell deserves some credit, but Francona much moreso. Cleveland never had a solid #3 and #4 hitter in that lineup, never a solid ace or even a #2 quality pitcher, and they had several positions with players shuffling daily. It's much more impressive on Francona's part. They were a team filled with average to mediocre players with a couple above average players sprinkled in there. Boston is a team composed of a couple elite players, a handful of good players, and the rest pretty average.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I get Clint Hurdle as manager of the year, but I'm not understanding how Matheny was all but overlooked. Considering how many rookies he had to bring up this year, key injuries at the beginning of the season, and the unknown middle infielders that Mozeliak handed him at the beginning of the season.... he had a pretty tough job this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.