Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Last evening I was having a strange problem with the Trash folder on my 2012 MBA recently updated to Mavericks.

When I dragged files to Trash they would simply disappear and not show on trash. When I try to empty Trash there is nothing to empty. This was after adding & deleting a large amount (around 15Gb added and 3Gb deleted) of songs from iTunes). Are the files deleted fully? I also noticed that the free space on my HDD was slow to update when I checked info.

So I'm wondering what has gone wrong. Why is this happening? Are the files deleted fully?

BTW, I was deleting the songs by right clicking and clicking "delete" in iTunes ... but I was not asked to confirm deletion ... the songs just disappeared. I'm presuming this is the correct way to COMPLETELY remove songs from both iTunes and the computer?

Thanks in advance,
OF

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Just to add ... this is happening after I repaired permissions earlier yesterday. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem.

MikMak

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Freeing a frozen Trash bin

I had a similar problem: I deleted files, but there became less and less space free in the harddisk - and it was not possible to free the trash bin, because there was nothing there.

It turned out that I, as a user, did not "own" the Trash folder. To see if you are the owner, open the Terminal application and type: ls -a -o. ( space after "ls" and the 'a' ) : The command lists al the folders and files on the root with permissions, owner and date. The Trash folder is ".Trash" and if the owner is "root" and not your log-in name, you have to change that ownership so that you become the owner. If this is the case, please let me know and I will tell you how to solve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.