Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vesper, a note-taking app developed by a team led by Apple blogger John Gruber, has launched an update that features a complete redesign in-line with the "flat" design principles of iOS 7, as well various other enhancements such as 64-bit support on the iPhone 5s, new typography settings and improved text rendering. The update also includes brand new gestures for photo management and performance improvements.

vesper_ios7-800x473.jpg
Originally released in June, Vesper offers a simplistic user interface that focuses on quick input and customizable organization, using a "tags" based system to easily group items into collections. The app also supports photos in addition to text along with an in-app browser, and drag and drop functionality for organization.

Vesper can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Note-Taking App Vesper Updated with iOS 7 Redesign, New Typography Options

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
No question this is a great looking and polished app. Lack of sync and no iPad version is still going to be a deal killer for many though.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
STILL no sync? $4.99?

WTF?

As some blogger said, why is no one saying "data silo"?

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Is there anything that this app does that Day One doesn't do way better?

Simplicity. In Vesper, you tag your notes, swipe to the right, and you see the drawer of your tags. In Day One, I don't think it works that way. Day One is more of a journaling/entry type of app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
STILL no sync? $4.99?

WTF?

As some blogger said, why is no one saying "data silo"?
Currently on sale at $3.99.

I agree that the app is expensive considering limited feature set, but included features are very well done with great "physics" that cannot be demonstrated in pictures.

Having said that, the app badly needs cloud sync, share (not email/SMS variety but live cloud-based share), and iPad version.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
No question this is a great looking and polished app. Lack of sync and no iPad version is still going to be a deal killer for many though.

lack of sync for sure. if i cant read my notes on another device or even one of my computers as i can w/ Notes, then i dont know why i want it.

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
It's all very well having a 'beautiful app' but if their is no sync it really is a waste of time. Looking at the list of developers involved in this app I can't believe they haven't realise this.
It may not be so attractive but I'll stick with Simplenote, it's free and even has a free Mac app too.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Interesting comments about sync being essential.

I'd agree cloud sync is great for things like shopping lists and todo lists, but I don't want it for very personal information (medical, financial, passwords, etc). I want to keep that information out of somebody-else's nebulous cloud. The recent macrumors security breach serves as a reminder that determined hackers are a constant threat to sensitive online data - particularly where it exists in large, lucrative concentrations.

So that's why I like the idea of no sync (or at least being able to turn it off and keep it off)

That said, the vesper devs have sync on their todo list: http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/vesper_whats_new_whats_next. But it's reassuring to see they understand the dangers of just throwing everyone's data into some cloud somewhere:

(Conversely, we’ve also received a surprising number of comments from users over the past few months praising Vesper for not having any sort of online syncing — some of it fueled by the revelations regarding the U.S. government’s warrantless surveillance of popular Internet services. Syncing in Vesper will always be optional, and off by default. If you want your Vesper data to be stored only on your device, that will always remain possible.)

I bought the app recently. It's simple and beautiful for it. We'll worth $4.00. These devs get it. A point made abundantly clear from their frequent and very thoughtful blog posts, such as:

The navbar is a pretty good example. In our iOS 6 releases, the glyphs and the back button weigh down the top of the screen pretty heavily. When the icons are present, your eye is pulled toward them. Done correctly, outlined icons can maintain their spatial weight without being cognitively heavy.

I ask you, how many iOS devs agonize over the spacial and cognitive weight of their icons?

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Interesting comments about sync being essential.

I'd agree cloud sync is great for things like shopping lists and todo lists, but I don't want it for very personal information (medical, financial, passwords, etc). I want to keep that information out of somebody-else's nebulous cloud. The recent macrumors security breach serves as a reminder that determined hackers are a constant threat to sensitive online data - particularly where it exists in large, lucrative concentrations.

Then I sure hope you also be careful with iCloud sync/backup - at the very least.

So that's why I like the idea of no sync (or at least being able to turn it off and keep it off)

My take is that, for that kind of use case, you want/need a concrete feature, namely encryption and generally information security focus - not the lack of another feature. No?

(...are you really using a non-encrypted notepad for that kind of info?)

That said, the vesper devs have sync on their todo list: http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/vesper_whats_new_whats_next. But it's reassuring to see they understand the dangers of just throwing everyone's data into some cloud somewhere:

I bought the app recently. It's simple and beautiful for it. We'll worth $4.00. These devs get it. A point made abundantly clear from their frequent and very thoughtful blog posts, such as:

I ask you, how many iOS devs agonize over the spacial and cognitive weight of their icons?

I ask you back, how many iOS devs do you want agonizing over icon placement (for months!) instead of offering real features like, oh I don't know, sync?

Needless to say, you are free to use the app you want and pay whatever you want. If the agonizing over placement of icons is more important for you than sync, sounds like Vesper is perfect for you.
But certainly that doesn't reflect my priorities - I am not even sure if I know what would make a note-taking app "beautiful". So probably Vesper is too exquisite for me.

And so I find the free, excellently-sincyng SimpleNote to be good enough for me.

Also, secondarily but important for me at least, I find myself not wanting to support developers who wax philosophical over icon placement and beauty in half-baked note-taking apps while other apps are already offering the real meat - for free.

And just so you know that it isn't about the "free" part, I am waiting for SimpleNote to start accepting premium accounts again to get one. Simply because I want to make sure that they stay around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.