Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
How do I write iTunes metadata to ID3 in the files? Seems like the data that I put for songs in iTunes aren't actually in the mp3s that I have - they are only in iTunes. And yet, I want to use MusicBrainz and iTunes in unison.

So, I need to put the iTunes data into the mp3 ID3 tags first - and how do I do this?

Thanks in advance! :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Gary King said:
Seems like the data that I put for songs in iTunes aren't actually in the mp3s that I have - they are only in iTunes.
:confused: You sure? That's not my experience on Mac or PC. A couple of caveats.

1) If you're using AAC/M4A instead of MP3, the tags are stored in a different format
2) iTunes seems to use the ID3 format, which could be ID3V1 that came with the MP3 unless you use the Advanced functions to update to ID3V2 format

Have you checcked both the beginning and end of the files for the tags? ID3V1 are stored at the top of the file, while ID3V2 are at the end. If you've got ID3V1, use iTunes to convert to ID3V2 before using MusicBrainz.

Last have you looked at iEatBrainz? http://indyjt.com/software/

B

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have this one particular file, where I converted it to ID3v2 and changed some tags, but when I play it in Winamp, the ID3 tags are not shown.

But, for other songs that I have that I edited in iTunes, their tags show up fine in Winamp.

This seems weird to me. Is there anything I should check? :(

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Gary King said:
Is there anything I should check? :(
Only thing I could guess is that this file may have more than one set of tags, and one set is empty.

I haven't used Winamp in ages, but can you tag it in Winamp and then see what iTunes makes of it.

On XP my favorite MP3 tagging tool is Tag & Rename. It has a pretty sure fire "remove all tags" feature that I have used on occasion where tags got FUBAR. You could try the trial version and see if you can clean up this one file, tag it again and move on...

B

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
balamw said:
Only thing I could guess is that this file may have more than one set of tags, and one set is empty.

I haven't used Winamp in ages, but can you tag it in Winamp and then see what iTunes makes of it.

On XP my favorite MP3 tagging tool is Tag & Rename. It has a pretty sure fire "remove all tags" feature that I have used on occasion where tags got FUBAR. You could try the trial version and see if you can clean up this one file, tag it again and move on...

B
I managed to get it fixed somehow.

Anyways, it seems as though the way iTunes adds ID3 tags is not always conforming to standards, like Winamp typically does.

This really is disappointing - now I don't know which of my songs has 'proper' and 'working' tags, and which are only for iTunes.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Gary King said:
Anyways, it seems as though the way iTunes adds ID3 tags is not always conforming to standards, like Winamp typically does.
I seem to recall some problems with the way iTunes handles ID3V1. I've had no issues since I started converting to ID3V2 before importing to iTunes.

ID3V1 is an abomination which never really was implemented well and should be eliminated anyhow. ;)

B

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I'm unsure if the file was previously ID3V1 or not, but I think all, or most, of my files are ID3V2 for a while now. I re-imported into iTunes as ID3V2 with the same problems, anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.