Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
How do I create a compound path or clipping mask for text in front of lines in AI. I want there to be no lines wherever there are openings in letters like "o", "a" etc.

I cheated with a white rectangle lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 6.05.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 6.05.12 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 6.14.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 6.14.24 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
How do I create a compound path or clipping mask for text in front of lines in AI. I want there to be no lines wherever there are openings in letters like "o", "a" etc.

You don't need to deal with compound paths at all. Your best solution is simply to create stroked lines around the text.

1. Create a series of short lines above and below the text.

2. Create a series of long lines that run through the text. Add an Anchor Point on each line above and below the text, select the segment of the line in between the added Anchor Points with the White Arrow Tool (without the plus sign) and Delete that segment of the line.

3. Create a series of long lines that run through the text. Turn the strokes into shapes: Object > Path > Outline Stroke. Use the white rectangle you cheated with and Pathfinder (Minus Front) to delete shapes.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Hmm. That seems a bit complicated, TBH.

I'd just turn the text to outlines, Offset Path, ungroup and fill the offset shape with white…

Cheers

Jim

But what's the difference between that and just putting a rectangle of white like the OP did? Both simply knock-out the black lines.

The key question that really needs to be addressed is how will this graphic be used and what is the output device for it's usage?

If all you're going to do it print it as is, then slap a white box on it and be done with it. Likewise if you're going to turn this into a graphic for the web. Sometimes the simplest and quickest solution is the best.

However ...

If you plan on putting this graphic onto a background, then the white box (or letter) solution won't work. And some forms of output (vinyl cutting for instance) read every vector line, necessitating the art to be edited down to its simplest form.

As a "best practice", I always try to remove anything that doesn't absolutely, have to be there.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012

If you need to do this with a lot of text, I would recommend doing it in InDesign, since you can adjust the underline on text to have it fill the background behind it with white. Afterwards you can always transfer the text to Illustrator, but you will not be able to edit the white boxes behind the text once you do so.

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/create_a_yellow_highlighter_style_in_indesign.html

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You could also use the Path tools to just make all the black lines one shape, then draw your white box and subtract that from the lined shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.