Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Funny you should say about the screen. I've never used screen protectors on my iPads and only really wanted the rear skin but I ordered both simply because it was only a little more for the front one too and I thought I might change my mind.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Funny you should say about the screen. I've never used screen protectors on my iPads and only really wanted the rear skin but I ordered both simply because it was only a little more for the front one too and I thought I might change my mind.

I did the same thing.

In the past I used a screen protector on my iPad 2, but the tpu cover I had for the back peeled the edges away. Also, I didn't like the feel of it, compared to the glass screen the increased friction was noticeable. Additionally, screen clarity didn't seem as good. So I stopped buying them.

These new skins are thinner and I'm pleased to say, even with the retina display, that the screen clarity is excellent. In fact, it's not obvious that there's a screen protector on at all.

There's still an increase in friction, but it's not as great as before and would only really bother you if you were gaming. For the time being I'm going to leave it on.

If I were you, I would put the screen skin on first, you can always peel it off if you don't like it.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I should have said that most of the installation was done when the iPad was flat on the table, so there's less chance of water getting into the various openings. In fact the iPad was on top of the BestSkinsEver cardboard packaging, for easy manoeuvrability and to protect the screen. I only lifted it up when I had to do the corners and by that time it was drying.

With the sides and corners, I waited until some of the solution had evaporated. It really will depend on how much liquid they have on them. I left them for about half an hour, but it probably took about another ten minutes of applying pressure before they started to adhere.

The best advice I can give you is take your time.

When I ordered a skin which used a dry install method for my iPad 2 I used a hair dryer to get the corners right but this was a 3M skin, Would a hair dryer work with the BSE or would it ruin the skin?

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
When I ordered a skin which used a dry install method for my iPad 2 I used a hair dryer to get the corners right but this was a 3M skin, Would a hair dryer work with the BSE or would it ruin the skin?

I don't know, I've never tried it. Personally, I would use the application process recommended by the manufacturer.

Eric5964

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Southeast Michigan
I just installed the a skinomi on the back only yesterday, went pretty well and I like the look/feel. Just take your time and follow the instructions! Can't beat the Amazon price of it, and why get an air to bulk up!?

EricE

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
What I did was use the Zag screen protector from the ipad mini on the back of my Air. Looks great gives enough covarage and I don't have to worry about the corners lifting on the rolled edges. Also it does give me enough grip for the back.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I used the matte BSE on the back of my Air. I didn't want the back looking shiny. Went on great. Only tough part was the curved edges, but doing what the instructions said, which was to let the solution dry before finishing the edges, worked great.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Are there any dry application protectors for the back? I'm not looking for something that covers the sides and whatnot, just the back. :)

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
This is the matte back protector that I bought from BestSkinEver. It took me 45 mins to apply it but then it aligned perfectly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 443

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
One more pic. Sorry I'm on the mobile site on iPhone and it doesn't t allow me to attach multiple pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354

Hoyasaxa

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I'm partial to BSE, took two years and only just starting to peel on the edges. My big thing is that they're a cheap insurance policy for maintaining the resale value of my devices since I generally sell to trade up to new gadgets. Always nice when someone stops haggling once they see that they're basically getting a like new device cosmetically.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
This is the matte back protector that I bought from BestSkinEver. It took me 45 mins to apply it but then it aligned perfectly.

Considering one for the rMini. If you don't mind me asking, why did it take 45 minutes to apply? Was there complications to the process, or just obsessive attention to the details? :)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

If they use the vinyl that automotive clear bra manufacturers use (3M, Ventureshield, etc.) then heating the skin with a hair dryer will not harm it. I am pretty sure they are the same material. Some even explicitly say so.

If anything, a blow dryer will not only make the skin pliable, but shrink it back down to its original size after it has been stretched.

Search youtube for some videos. There is one where they demolish a skin by stretching it and crumpling it, and the hair dryer brings it back to like-new shape.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Took me about 45 mins to get mine perfect, then wait for the corners to dry up a bit. Really happy with my BSE, wondering if it will start to peel like my others do after about a year.

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Considering one for the rMini. If you don't mind me asking, why did it take 45 minutes to apply? Was there complications to the process, or just obsessive attention to the details? :)

^This! lol great job applying that mason, but im also curious as to how and why it took 45 min

Well, I sprayed a lot of solution (water+Dawn soap) so it would be easier to align the film. The tricky part was the edges. They didn't stick to the iPad at all and I had to use a hair dryer to dry it and align it at the same time.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Well I finally got round to doing mine this afternoon.

Took me quite a while to get it done but then I'm ham-fisted at the best of times. Took a few goes to get it lined up perfectly and was paranoid about getting liquid into any of the openings so took it very slowly.

Once lined up correctly the main back section is easy to squeegee out then you have to deal with the edges. This took an age to get them to all stick down properly and the little corner pieces were the worst but eventually I got it all stuck down.

I'm happy with it to be honest - there are a few tiny bubbles left but hopefully they should go over the next 24 hours, or at least that's what they claim. I've also trapped a couple of tiny bits of dust under it but I'm not too worried about that.

The real test will be how long it lasts before it starts peeling at the edges. I hope it does last because it feels good and offers the scratch protection I want without adding any bulk to the iPad :)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I've not done a wet install before and I was worried that squeegeeing the back would cause liquid to drain out of the edges and down past/into the connectors etc.

I find the easiest, low-risk way to install these is to simply use some painter's tape (or even just regular scotch/masking tape) to cover speaker holes, ports, etc.

Takes a few minutes and then I can just concentrate on alignment, not trying to keep liquid out.

faxao

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Milano, Italy
Installed BSE matte back skin on my iPad Air today: it was not "super easy" (especially around edges/corners) but once you get it done it is great !

Just my 2cents: be sure you spray over the sticky side a "generous" amount of solution (I have used water+one small spoon of neutral dish soap) and be patient with the allignement. Corners need to "gently pressed" with your fingers/hand palm as it is rather difficult to stick them to the iPad body.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I put mine on last week. Use plenty of solution and be patient with the corners. It's perfect. My corner trick is that once they stick well enough to stay in place, I put the iPad face up onto a soft pillow and weighed it down. As the iPad sinks, the pillow form fits to the back, sides, and corners and holds everything until the adhesive is good and dry.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I got a BSE and usually recommend it sad to see though my month old install is already peeling from the edges. I followed all the instructions in making the solution as well. It looked perfectly fine when installed, yet it's already peeled in three parts. I think a lot though has to do with how the Air has completely rounded flat edges. Blah.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Bumping to ask how these bestskinsever skins are holding up after a bit of time?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Are there any dry rear protectors? Even if they cover the flat area that would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.