Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Just updated my mbp to Mavericks, and found this strange bug with using Finder and its new multi-tabs.

When there are mutli-tabs of finder and I want separate them by selecting one and dragging it out, it shows a tiny preview of the finder while still holding down the button and releasing it will split the finder into 2 windows, however, the little preview still appears on the desktop background forever until I restart the computer.
JgOOwu1.jpg

Also when using 'app expose' those tiny preview boxes also get selected even though I have closed their windows. Clicking on them doesn't do anything either.
3jWQOpa.jpg

Restarted after installing mavericks, but problem still persists.
Can someone tryout the same thing and see if this happens to you too?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Noob question I know and slightly off topic but how do I open finder tabs can't see anywhere to open one....smh

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Or Cmd+Clicking on a folder.

So i guess no one else has this problem?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks no way to do it by mouse though,

While in Finder if you click the File menu you will see a menu item for New Tab. Ot go to the View menu while in Finder and select Show Tab Bar. That will put a tab bar at the top with a plus sign on it you can click for a new tab.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
While in Finder if you click the File menu you will see a menu item for New Tab. Ot go to the View menu while in Finder and select Show Tab Bar. That will put a tab bar at the top with a plus sign on it you can click for a new tab.

Thanks guys this is a lot easier going to do that when I'm home. Sorry OP back on topic.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
it shows a tiny preview of the finder while still holding down the button and releasing it will split the finder into 2 windows, however, the little preview still appears on the desktop background forever

Can someone tryout the same thing and see if this happens to you too?

Tried it, but the little preview goes away promptly as the window opens for me.
Have you tried restarting just Finder rather than the whole Mac?
Command-Option-Escape will bring up a dialog that'll let you do that.

Turrican2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I got a Fusiondrive (128GB + 1TB) and folders with with >1000 files in Finder are loading really really slow. It feels like Win98 with 32MB RAM.

winterfresh

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
I'm also having this problem. What's odd is that if I create a new OS X user account, I don't experience the issue on that new account. Nor on a Guest User account. It only occurs on my primary account (the one that I brought forward from Mountain Lion, and Lion, all the way back to Leopard).

roy.5432

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
I've also had the bug with those little preview screens acting as independent Finder windows! Can someone with a dev account please report it to Apple?

Goreb

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
Still no fix for this bug?

Jep, got the same bug since the first day of Mavericks. Dragging a tab in Finder creates a little thumbnail, which stays. Anyone reported this? Cant imagine Apple didnt see that by now...

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
the same

I have exactly the same issues here but it doesn't bother me, I just need to restart the finder and the bug gone.

le20avril

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
brussels
bug tabs maverick - Dragging a tab in Finder creates a little thumbnail, which stays

Ok. I found this solution :

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Last edited:

cineone66

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Re launch Finder and the small finder windows will go away , not the real solution but there is a bug in there that is for sure.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.