Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Is there an app that lets you sign in to multiple accounts like the official twitter app does

I know you can share folders between accounts but im not looking for that

The official dropbox app doesnt allow multiple accounts unless you unlink the account then sign back in

Im looking for an app that lets you stay logged in to multiple accounts

Is there an app for that ?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
You can share folders between the accounts. Just create a central folder on your Dropbox account on your iPhone - then, make it shareable to all your other accounts.

That way, people on other accounts to read/add files to the shareable folder.

Members of my band currently do this.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
You can share folders between the accounts. Just create a central folder on your Dropbox account on your iPhone - then, make it shareable to all your other accounts.

That way, people on other accounts to read/add files to the shareable folder.

Members of my band currently do this.

One is a personal account & the other is a work account

So that won't work

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
One is a personal account & the other is a work account

This is certainly reasonable, but such a feature would also make it easier for people to just double up on free accounts and get more space without paying.

As such, I suspect Dropbox wouldn't be very friendly towards any app that tried to implement this.

It's a shame, but I suspect that's the situation.

What I suggest is using two different apps. Like, use the official Dropbox app for home and then log in to the work account with something like this.

Make a shared folder between the accounts for moving stuff back and forth.

tuyentalent

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I think this app can help you: http://airfileapp.tumblr.com/ - AirFile supports multiple Dropbox accounts, dual-pane file browsing, and most of file operations — delete, rename, move, copy, upload, download, share, preview, restore, arrange, sort files.

Last edited:

bitter.lizard

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Awesome

I think this app can help you: http://www.getairfile.com/ - AirFile supports multiple Dropbox accounts, dual-pane file browsing, and most of file operations — delete, rename, move, copy, upload, download, share, preview, restore, arrange, sort files.

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for as I use dropbox for work and my personal life constantly - saved me countless hours of logging in and out of different accounts!!

ROCK ON.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
ReaddleDocs, PDF Expert, GoodReader, iFile, etc.

You can set up multiple accounts on your iOS device to download, sync, upload, and transfer between accounts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is certainly reasonable, but such a feature would also make it easier for people to just double up on free accounts and get more space without paying.
Dropbox has the ability to keep track of things via IP address. They do this to prevent the creation of multiple email addresses with the intent to send invitations to yourself which increase the size of your Dropbox.

While they certainly COULD via this IP method prevent registration of multiple Dropbox accounts under a single IP address - they don't.

Glad the OP found a solution though.

BTW, off-topic, but it's possible to run more than one instance of Dropbox on one Mac. I do this all the time and have even run three accounts at once with three instances of Dropbox. Just a little internal app editing. The downside to all of this though is that Dropbox does take up space on your drive.

tuyentalent

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Dropbox has the ability to keep track of things via IP address. They do this to prevent the creation of multiple email addresses with the intent to send invitations to yourself which increase the size of your Dropbox.

While they certainly COULD via this IP method prevent registration of multiple Dropbox accounts under a single IP address - they don't.

Glad the OP found a solution though.

BTW, off-topic, but it's possible to run more than one instance of Dropbox on one Mac. I do this all the time and have even run three accounts at once with three instances of Dropbox. Just a little internal app editing. The downside to all of this though is that Dropbox does take up space on your drive.

If you use AirFile, you still can add many Dropbox accounts without taking up your disk space. It really just works for your case.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airfile/id747595327?ls=1&mt=12

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
DropBox sucks try Microsoft Skydrive :p
There is absolutely zero way to access Skydrive on any PowerPC Macintosh. Microsoft only offers an option for Macs if you have an Intel Mac.

Skydrive is NOT an option then when it comes to my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and my two 17" PowerBook G4s.

Dropbox, on the other hand, still develops for PowerPC Macs.

And no. I'm not in the market for an Intel Mac.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
There is absolutely zero way to access Skydrive on any PowerPC Macintosh. Microsoft only offers an option for Macs if you have an Intel Mac.

Skydrive is NOT an option then when it comes to my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and my two 17" PowerBook G4s.

Dropbox, on the other hand, still develops for PowerPC Macs.

And no. I'm not in the market for an Intel Mac.

If I were microsoft I wouldn't support PPC either. Not because I have anything against it but logistically and financially it just wouldn't make sense. If Apple dropped Rosetta in Lion (3 os versions ago) and stopped making hardware using PPC 5 years prior to that, why would a competing company no less support such a platform? Apple's market share is quite low as it is but those running Leopard and versions prior on PPC would easily be less than half a percent of all OSX users which is only a fraction of windows users. And then an even lower percentage of those users would even use skydrive.

Once again I have nothing against PPC and have the utmost respect for those who chose to stick with it and can make it work for them. But at the same time I can see why a company would no longer write software for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If I were microsoft I wouldn't support PPC either. Not because I have anything against it but logistically and financially it just wouldn't make sense. If Apple dropped Rosetta in Lion (3 os versions ago) and stopped making hardware using PPC 5 years prior to that, why would a competing company no less support such a platform? Apple's market share is quite low as it is but those running Leopard and versions prior on PPC would easily be less than half a percent of all OSX users which is only a fraction of windows users. And then an even lower percentage of those users would even use skydrive.

Once again I have nothing against PPC and have the utmost respect for those who chose to stick with it and can make it work for them. But at the same time I can see why a company would no longer write software for it.
Oh, I wasn't arguing that they should. I would love it if they would, but it makes no business sense for them to do so.

This comment you quote me on was written in response at the time to what I perceived as an assumption. By suggesting SkyDrive the poster just assumed I was capable of using it, or that I should be. So, my response was to indicate that not everyone could because not everyone is using modern Macs - or PCs for that matter.

I realize that I'm in a considerable minority here and I accept that. And I don't expect anything from companys that have moved on. Even Microsoft is trying to kill XP now, so expecting them to support me on PowerPC even when Intel was around when SkyDrive was first introduced is not realistic. But, in the same way, other posters can't make blanket assumptions that no one is using outdated software or hardware anymore because that isn't true either.

Which is why I respect Dropbox so much. Eight years after the Intel transition they still support PowerPC. They don't have to, but they do.

I included my last statement about not being in the market for an Intel Mac simply (at the time) to head off any repeat suggestions that I buy a new Mac - that's just not affordable for us at the moment.

DaRealFonz

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Is there an app that lets you sign in to multiple accounts like the official twitter app does

I know you can share folders between accounts but im not looking for that

The official dropbox app doesnt allow multiple accounts unless you unlink the account then sign back in

Im looking for an app that lets you stay logged in to multiple accounts

Is there an app for that ?

One way that I have been able to do it is to use a 3rd party app that let's you access Dropbox, like sophos or camscaner pro or any other that requires you to link the Dropbox app to. So what you do is download Dropbox to your iPhone then link the 3rd party app to your Dropbox account then sign out of the original Dropbox app and sign in to another Dropbox account that you have with a different email. What ends up happening is that the 3rd party app will stay signed in to the 1st Dropbox account while the original Dropbox app is signed in and linked to another Dropbox account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.