Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Major U.S. carriers Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are still experiencing back orders on the cellular version of the iPad Mini with Retina Display, signaling that the 3G/4G version of the tablet is still experiencing heavy supply constraints, reports CNET. While Apple's online store still shows that cellular Retina iPad minis are available to ship in 5-10 business days, Verizon's page for the device shows that the device will ship by December 2, with T-Mobile and AT&T showing 6-8 week and 21-28 day delivery estimates, respectively.
ipadminispacegray.png

Small amounts of stock of the cellular-capable models of the device began trickling into Apple's U.S. retail stores one day after the device's surprise launch last week, with Apple offering a Personal Pickup option for online orders. However, overall production of the device has been heavily constrained for the time being due to suggested display production issues, with shipments of the tablet likely to double in Q1 2014 as shortages ease.

First announced at Apple's iPad-centric October event, the second-generation iPad mini features a high resolution 2048x1536 display, with 326 pixels per inch, and a 64-bit A7 chip with the M7 motion co-processor. Those interested in purchasing the device can also check out an unofficial web tracker for checking the availability of Retina iPad mini models at Apple's U.S. retail locations. The tracker continues to show low in-store availability, with Sprint and low-capacity Wi-Fi models seeing the best supplies.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Shipping Times Lengthening at Major U.S. Carriers Amid Supply Constraints

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I got my LTE version. Nice piece of equipment. However, I can see how it is not ultimately a replacement for a full-sized iPad. Some stuff just comes up on the screen a bit too small. But it does what I need it to do. I left my briefcase at home this morning and was still able to read emails and documents on my subway ride into work. :D

Not pocketable into inside suit jacket though. Which is a negative over the Nexus 7 form factor. It being winter, it easily fits into winter coats. But still a drawback on this form factor.

akron0488

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
Apple still seems to have plenty though. So much for constrained supplies "for the rest of the year."

----------

I got my LTE version. Nice piece of equipment. However, I can see how it is not ultimately a replacement for a full-sized iPad. Some stuff just comes up on the screen a bit too small. But it does what I need it to do. I left my briefcase at home this morning and was still able to read emails and documents on my subway ride into work. :D

Not pocketable into inside suit jacket though. Which is a negative over the Nexus 7 form factor. It being winter, it easily fits into winter coats. But still a drawback on this form factor.

That's what your iPhone/smartphone is for. Not sure why people need iPad to read emails while on the go unless you're looking at charts or graphs constantly.

I love my mini. Couldn't go back to regular iPad now as it seems far too big. The mini is perfect for travel and the screen isn't intrusive to anyone. You can privately watch a movie without taking too much space and it fits perfectly in one hand.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
This year has shown the most dysfunctional supply chain management from a so-called technology giant the world has ever seen. Apple really needs to hire someone like me to clean up their mess; I am supremely qualified and stuff just seems to get done a lot quicker whenever I'm around.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
My space gray 16GB WiFi + Cellular T-Mobile version is to arrive on Friday. Looking forward to my first iPad!

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
So glad I'm poor right now cuz I'd just be blowing my cash on Apple products ;)

This allows me to wait for this whole fiasco to settle and maybe have a few rMini's show up on the refurb store. :D

btollenaar

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2006
refurb is great way to go. couldn't wait myself. picked up a 32GB wifi version and couldn't be happier.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
refurb is great way to go. couldn't wait myself. picked up a 32GB wifi version and couldn't be happier.

I usually hold out for the refurb thing too, but I jumped on it on launch day. The tech sites were dead on when they said that this was the iPad mini we all wanted in the first place.

Last edited:

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Ordered my iPad mini 32gb silver from AT&T's website on the morning of 11/13. When I ordered it the order status said it didn't ship for 21-28 days but I received an email Friday 11/15 saying it shipped and just received mine on Tuesday :)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
So, if the cellular versions are in short supply why is then the bottle neck the display production issue? Doesn't make sense to me.

One of the biggest challenges in production is prioritization, particularly with so many models. MR readers aside, wifi models are the most popular so apple focused the limited display stock on making wifi models available in the most places as early as possible.

Having said that, the TMO change may have shifted things a bit.

staveb

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
Why would it matter which carriers have the iPad mini in stock? I thought you can just switch out the SIM as these new models work with all the different bands. Am I missing something?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Wow! What kind of briefcase shows you emails?

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Why would it matter which carriers have the iPad mini in stock? I thought you can just switch out the SIM as these new models work with all the different bands. Am I missing something?

My understanding is that since the devices are not carrier locked that you can swap out SIMs and use them on any network but that the different versions available are optimized for use on a carrier specific network.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I got the last 16gb wifi model best buy had. They blew out their whole shipment within 60 miles in one day.

It's very slick.

Last edited:

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I ordered the 128G WiFi only model from Apple on-line. Although the website said 5-10 days it shipped in a day. No antenna of course but still the stated lead time was more than reality.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple still seems to have plenty though. So much for constrained supplies "for the rest of the year."

----------

That's what your iPhone/smartphone is for. Not sure why people need iPad to read emails while on the go unless you're looking at charts or graphs constantly.

I love my mini. Couldn't go back to regular iPad now as it seems far too big. The mini is perfect for travel and the screen isn't intrusive to anyone. You can privately watch a movie without taking too much space and it fits perfectly in one hand.

Emails are no problem. But I've got time on my commute to read a 10 page document and that would be a pain on a phone, even a phablet. I also prefer reading the paper on the Mini than on the iPhone. The full iPad worked great, especially if I had a seat. But for one handed reading it wasn't ideal and it necessitated a bag to carry it in. Sometimes the iPad was the only thing in my briefcase. It was kind of silly.

----------

Wow! What kind of briefcase shows you emails?

A brief case with an iPad in it. Now Mini just goes in coat pocket and briefcase stays at the office unless laptop and printed docs are coming home with me.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
That's what your iPhone/smartphone is for.
- Agreed [putting in your pocket].

Not sure why people need iPad to read emails while on the go unless you're looking at charts or graphs constantly.
- Sometimes you need to not only read emails, but comfortably respond to them on the go also. I for one cannot do that on the [current form factor...] iPhone.

- Same here. The mini is great for travelling and on the go. I am still impatiently waiting for my new one to arrive.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago

It's just a convenience thing, since the carrier-specific nano SIM comes preinstalled. If you swap the SIM yourself, then it becomes a non-issue, mostly. I've heard Verizon is a jerk when it comes to activating devices that are not certified by them, so getting a Verizon SIM could be challenging for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.