Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
So, I can't be the only Mac user who wants to be able to play this game natively, without wineskin ports, without Bootcamp or Windows.

Let's discuss it!

Heard any development rumors? Post them here!

Want to share how your excitement for the game has been stoked by either seeing it on another platform, playing it on another platform, or watching web playthroughs?

This is the place for you.

For me, I watched some HD playthroughs on Youtube, and loved the dynamics of the game.

See this one first, and you'll be hooked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV7U8e3P9k

But, even before that, I think many of us were sucked in by that slow-motion, backwards-playing trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

Last edited:

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I played through this in bootcamp when it came out, great fun.

I'd love to see a Mac port, but I really doubt it would ever happen. Fairly niche, unique, and not to mention ultra-violent. I know for a fact one Mac porting house has already passed up on porting this. And I doubt the others are going to pick it up.

We can dream though.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I played through this in bootcamp when it came out, great fun.

I'd love to see a Mac port, but I really doubt it would ever happen. Fairly niche, unique, and not to mention ultra-violent. I know for a fact one Mac porting house has already passed up on porting this. And I doubt the others are going to pick it up.

We can dream though.

Who passed up? Do you recall?

As for it being too niche, I disagree. We have "Left 4 Dead" 1 and 2 for the Mac, just as violent and niche as "Dead Island".

To my eye, "Dead Island" is just updated visually.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Haha, of course I know. I'm not saying because its confidential.

Dead Island is significantly more violent than left 4 dead (1 or 2) mostly because of how visceral and intense it is to (often) slowly dismember the zombie hordes. Guns are rare as you would know if you've played the game, its almost exclusively melee based. Both are rather violent yes, but having played L4D 1 & 2, and also Dead Island, I find Dead Island far more violent in general.

By niche I mean, its open world rpg/slash/shooty zombie slaughter. We don't have anything like that on the Mac. L4D 1 & 2 are shooters, which are common everywhere. A Zombie shooter, but still a shooter.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Haha, of course I know. I'm not saying because its confidential.

Dead Island is significantly more violent than left 4 dead (1 or 2) mostly because of how visceral and intense it is to (often) slowly dismember the zombie hordes. Guns are rare as you would know if you've played the game, its almost exclusively melee based. Both are rather violent yes, but having played L4D 1 & 2, and also Dead Island, I find Dead Island far more violent in general.

By niche I mean, its open world rpg/slash/shooty zombie slaughter. We don't have anything like that on the Mac. L4D 1 & 2 are shooters, which are common everywhere. A Zombie shooter, but still a shooter.

I guess I'm the only one who prefers to play L4D2 with a katana or ax. :)

Aspyr? Feral? The list is getting shorter quickly. :)

Also, I'm sure I'm forgetting some porters who don't publish.

What is the landscape in Mac game porters and publishers? Who am I missing?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Dead Island : Riptide will be out in a few months, doubt you'll ever see a native mac port. Maybe the sequel will be however.

Velociround

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Dead Island available for download for Mac

Just so you guys know, Dead Island has just appeared on my Mac games list on Steam, and I'm downloading the game now. I don't know if it works, thought. It seems there are some DirectX folders in it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just so you guys know, Dead Island has just appeared on my Mac games list on Steam, and I'm downloading the game now. I don't know if it works, thought. It seems there are some DirectX folders in it.

I see no Dead Island listed in the Steam store with a Mac icon next to it, only Windows...

For playing Dead Isand and avoiding Windows, best bet is Xbox...

Velociround

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
I see no Dead Island listed in the Steam store with a Mac icon next to it, only Windows...

For playing Dead Isand and avoiding Windows, best bet is Xbox...

It does not show Mac support on the store page, but Steam is incorrectly (as I just found out by downloading it) showing it on the Mac games library.

A coworker found this out and told the other guys here at work, we wasted like an hour working waiting while the game downloaded, just to find out it doesn't actually open ("missing game executable"). We could have spent this time playing Dead Island on bootcamp instead!
tilt.gif

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
just downloaded it on steam, it came online today

update: does not work "missing executable"
i guess it will be working soon

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
just downloaded it on steam, it came online today

update: does not work "missing executable"
i guess it will be working soon

Um, what? The steam store still shows "Dead Island" as Windows only.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
And it will until it's actually released for OSX.

Although if you already own the windows version, it'll probably show up in your mac library. Just no executables yet....

Can't be far away though :)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why precisely are you concluding that the Mac version can't be far away?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I noticed it's been about a month since the last post to this thread and still no Steamplay for Dead Island. :(

It is still showing up as a Mac game in my library though.

I hope this is still really going to happen - if it ever was going to really happen.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
On Steam... It only gets uploaded there when it's out of private beta. It's not going to be too far away.

Not true, it could mean they are testing alpha 1 and have months of testing left, or they are just seeing if a Mac version is feasible and are running a basic test app :)

All the database logs mean is a Mac app has been uploaded but you can't tell anything else about timing or status really.

Edwin

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Not true, it could mean they are testing alpha 1 and have months of testing left, or they are just seeing if a Mac version is feasible and are running a basic test app :)

All the database logs mean is a Mac app has been uploaded but you can't tell anything else about timing or status really.

Edwin

I was being a little too hopeful..
Now, Edwin... When is Tomb Raider being released? ;)

Hopefully Dead Island does end up coming out... And in the near future.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I was being a little too hopeful..
Now, Edwin... When is Tomb Raider being released? ;)

PM me, I might have something that might interest you next week (Not Tomb Raider being released but still pretty cool) ;)

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.