Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
It's been over an hour and my iPad Air has charged only 14% via an outlet. This is a far slower charge time than my iPad 3. Has anyone noticed the same?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Are you using the charger that came with the iPad or your phone charger?

It's an older (but official) charger. Shouldn't be any difference, but for curiosity's sake I've plugged it into the one that came with the Air. This is the same outlet I always use.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It's an older (but official) charger. Shouldn't be any difference, but for curiosity's sake I've plugged it into the one that came with the Air. This is the same outlet I always use.

The latest chargers are 12W, older chargers are 10W or less.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Yeah, use the charger that it came with, my air charges from 0 to 100% in a little over 3 1/2 hours. Very happy with it.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
The latest chargers are 12W, older chargers are 10W or less.

Okay, I stand corrected! It's already charging much faster. Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know they had changed the wall charger power output. I assume that these 12W chargers should not be used with older devices?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Okay, I stand corrected! It's already charging much faster. Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know they had changed the wall charger power output. I assume that these 12W chargers should not be used with older devices?

They can used with older devices. You can check apples website to be sure.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

All the chargers are interchangeable.

A 12W charger will not hurt a device that needs a 10W charger - it won't charge any faster, it will just use 10W.

Mslittlebookowl

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
I think mine charged very slowly the first time I charged it, but its way faster the second time, is that normal? hmm

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Mine always charged slowly with the stock ipad air charger and cable.

Something around 5-6 hours for a full charge.

When I charged it overnight plugged into my Mbp USB port, it only reached 93% after a good 7-8 hours.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Last night I plugged in my Air at 11pm and it had 24% left. At 7am it was at 99%. Pretty slow charge. I'm using the adapter and cable that came with it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Last night I plugged in my Air at 11pm and it had 24% left. At 7am it was at 99%. Pretty slow charge. I'm using the adapter and cable that came with it.

It reached fully charged in the proper time. The charger must cut off after the batt has reached a full charge (they are like a balloon and you can keep filling them until they explode). It can lose a little bit of charge before it starts charging again. Also monitoring the amount of charge is very complicated (just like what is the "exact" level a balloon is full) so 99% can be a full charge.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

Like the above poster said you battery charged way before when you looked at it. It is only reporting 99%. Reboot and you will see 100%.

My Air charges every bit as fast as my 3 and 4 units.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One reason I was keen to get an iPad Air was for quicker charging time. My iPad 3 was soooo slow! The new iPad Air charges in about 3 hours and 15 minutes -- big difference! When the 12W power adapters first became available from Apple last year I immediately snapped one up hoping that it would speed up my iPad 3, and while it helped some, it still took that device over 4 hours. I am very pleased that the new iPad Air charges so much more quickly!

itaita

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
It's been over an hour and my iPad Air has charged only 14% via an outlet. This is a far slower charge time than my iPad 3. Has anyone noticed the same?

I am having the same problem. I bought already 2 extra charges. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.