Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I've done 2 casual wedding videos and even just being casual is just a pain and then reliving the whole pain through editing is no fun and when you fine out you didn't get the right shot or something went wrong...I think wedding jobs are pure hell, survivable and a good way to make money if your good but you gotta have stamina. For video I like multicameras like nuts, if allot of stuff is happening in one area 3 cameras is nice to switch the angles up and ensure you get everything, of course make sure that your cameras do timecode or you'll probably just cry on import and go to bed (I lost timecode on a 3 camera shoot once and was up for 30hours straight...not cool). And pleasing the client is fun too....either way I'll probably end up doing other weddings just for the cash since I barely get paid but just go in prepared, theres no room for error.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
...of course make sure that your cameras do timecode or you'll probably just cry on import and go to bed (I lost timecode on a 3 camera shoot once and was up for 30hours straight...not cool)...

Which NLE? Most decent NLEs these days can do multi-cam well and FCPX is wicked at audio matching.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Which NLE? Most decent NLEs these days can do multi-cam well and FCPX is wicked at audio matching.

It was actually FCP X....it was a very early build however and I found that on earlier builds the audio matching was miss, miss, miss, miss or hit....LOL..literally I was trying to sync 2 AVCHD/XDCAM EX cameras (One panasonic, one sony) and my own DSLR and It just would not sync...I believe I was using 10.0.1, maybe even 10.0.0, for the record I was dealing with 3 different frame rates, one was shooting 30p, one was shooting 24p and the other was shooting 60i. That was one of the few instances that ticked me off with the audio syncing but since 10.0.6 FCP X nails audio matching and syncing every single time and I've come back to it (although not relying on it over timecode of course), still I can set up external audio for a DSLR make an obvious noise at the start of the recording (a clap, clear my throat, etc.) and sync it all with ease, I actually don't even need to do that but it helps confirm the sync when you get in FCP and see the audio spikes match.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
All I can say is that I applaud you wedding heads.
I tell you its not fun and not rewarding.
I will get the occasional from close friends and colleagues and I respectfully decline (well usually I give a maniacal laugh then say NO!!).
My Scarlet was the target for awhile there to match that Slo-Mo video that went viral.
I put the kibosh to that when I stated three things:

1. Production Insurance cover no less than 50K

2. Hire me as a DIT/Tech to deal with the idiots that man handle the camera so they can see them selves after a shot

3. The cost of post would be no less than 100 per hour

Sure I want to make money but not like that sorry.

Again I give the dedicated wedding guys full respect for putting up with that kind of stress.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
All I can say is that I applaud you wedding heads.
I tell you its not fun and not rewarding.
I will get the occasional from close friends and colleagues and I respectfully decline (well usually I give a maniacal laugh then say NO!!).
My Scarlet was the target for awhile there to match that Slo-Mo video that went viral.
I put the kibosh to that when I stated three things:

1. Production Insurance cover no less than 50K

2. Hire me as a DIT/Tech to deal with the idiots that man handle the camera so they can see them selves after a shot

3. The cost of post would be no less than 100 per hour

Sure I want to make money but not like that sorry.

Again I give the dedicated wedding guys full respect for putting up with that kind of stress.

Ahaha the maniacal laugh and then "NO" is great for many things for us computer savvy persons. Normal people really don't understand how insane it is...my family, friends, etc. that don't do anything with a computer beyond checking sports and facebook and download movies think I have a problem for needing 6TB's of Disk space until I sit them down and show them what a render looks like and what the resulting file size is...even then they don't get it.

I would totally drag one of my very few tech savvy friends to a wedding job and pay them as a DIT but honestly I don't want someone mangling my precious images. "I transcoded all your Canon H.264 files to H.264 @ 5mbps to save space, its also 720p since 1080p is overkill, is that ok?" *fill in my angry response*. (and yes similar thing happened before, person didnt want to deal with "large files", luckily it was a casual shoot and nothing near important)

Also you would let some drunken idiot at a wedding man handle your Scarlet? Even with insurance I think I'd rather break a leg and leave by ambulance....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.