Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
My friend switched to android, but my iPhone insists on iMessaging her and then telling me "delivery failed". I tried deleting her contact info and all texts from her and typing her phone number in, and it still remembered it and tried to iMessage it. How can I make my iPhone stop attempting to send an iMessage to an android?

dustrho

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Delete all texts from her and don't add her contact info into your phone. Have her text you. Reply to her. It should then know to send it as a text vs iMessage. If that works, then add her as a contact.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
yea this is what happens when the person switching doesnt turn off their imessage before they switch phones. apples servers think they are still on an iphone. try seeing if she can switch back to her iphone temporarily, turning off imessage, then switch back to the droid.

or do what the guy above me said, delete her contact and have her send you a message first.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
no your friend needs to do that
Her old iPhone has been traded in.

Leave iMessage on but do u have send as sms when iMessage not available checked?

Do their messages to you go through?
Yes, I receive messages from her phone. And the SMS option is checked in. Yet, it doesn't do it automatically, i always have to do it manually.

Delete all texts from her and don't add her contact info into your phone. Have her text you. Reply to her. It should then know to send it as a text vs iMessage. If that works, then add her as a contact.
Will try this tomorrow.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
have her go into itunes, into her account settings, and remove the device from her device list. that may disassociate it from apples servers.

Spidious

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
Same thing happened to me when my son traded in his 5S for a note 3

Delete the contact information and then just reinstall it.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
If you call Apple, we can remove iMessage from being associated with your number. We'll send a message to the number with a confirmation code, then enter that code on our end, and then poof; fixed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you call Apple, we can remove iMessage from being associated with your number. We'll send a message to the number with a confirmation code, then enter that code on our end, and then poof; fixed.
Is that something official and documented somewhere?

kamalaggi

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
You need to edit the contact and change the label on the phone number to mobile from iPhone.

This fixed it for me on one of my friends who switched from iPhone to android.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I doubt it. But it can be done by pretty much any Tier 1 technical advisor.
Good to know. At the same time there's really no way for a user to do something simple like that themselves without their iOS device? You'd think you should be able to do it online where you manage your Apple ID.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
You need to edit the contact and change the label on the phone number to mobile from iPhone.

This fixed it for me on one of my friends who switched from iPhone to android.

The iPhone label doesn't change the way your contact gets treated. It knows that when you make/receive the text. I'm guessing the header on the packet contains the hardware/software information.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Have her log in to her apple account on a web browser and change her password.

This forces a reset of all devices linked to iMessage & FaceTime. Since she no longer has any devices logged into iMessage, other peoples's phones wll send texts instead.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You could just wait a week and when she comes back to the iPhone you'll be all set.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Hopefully she's not signed into iMessage using her telephone number from a Mac or another iOS device.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread was closed temporarily to remove off-topic posts. Now that it has reopened please remain on-topic. Thank you.

Last edited:

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
The only thing that worked for me was calling Apple and having then disassociate my number with iMessage. I'm not sure what code eww7633 is talking about because I didn't have to do that. The rep simply removed my number and since then I haven't had any issues.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Some people complain that Google Hangouts does not auto select SMS or Google+ i for one am glad that i can manually select to avoid situations like this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.