Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjiro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
The editor in Coda looks incredible. I want to jump ship from DW and starting to look. Is there an WYSWYG app with a Coda editor that you recommend?
RapidWeaver is template based but can you edit/tweak like Coda? And looks like Freeway cannot tweak code correct? I know i can D/L free trials. I wish to get feedback from users who use the programs. I guess i'm 'too used' to DW but i want to jump. Wishing to combine a new editor with Pixelmator. Thanks!

iLina

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
why dont you try the fck-editor. it is really easy to plug into a website

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
iLina and Maxington, I think you're on the wrong track for what the OP is asking about. They're asking about web site designer editors, not in page editors.

I can't speak to Coda. I hand code everything.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
There is TacoHMTL Edit which is very similar as it gives you hand coding with a web preview though you wont have access to fancy drag and drop.
Espresso is also quite similar in that approach. Though i know of no environments that have similar to coda coding features and a wysiwyg drag and drop like dreamweaver interface. I only know of coders with a rendering engine to show you what your hand written code will output.

If you really want to get stuck into designing a page i recommend Espresso + CSSEdit as these are dreadfully efficient for plain html and css design. You'll need to let us know how far your understanding of html and css is before i would put my full recommendation out.

ppayne

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. Trying to find a replacement for Dreamweaver, something like good old Claris Home Page 3.0, but NO, it's apparently too much to ask for.

Flux looked good but took 2 minutes to load any of my pages, then crashed hard. Something called Quick n' Easy Web Builder seemed nice but was way over-engineered and couldn't open simple HTML pages and let me work with them. Sadly the elitist attitude that writing code directly is |<00L so all wysiwyg editors must be n00bs (I'm looking at you, Coda 2) isn't helpful. I am trying to write blog posts, not code HTML/CSS, hence I need wysiwyg.

Never seen a product category get hollowed out as fast as I did this one. And I've been using these apps some PageMill 1.0.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. Trying to find a replacement for Dreamweaver, something like good old Claris Home Page 3.0, but NO, it's apparently too much to ask for.

Flux looked good but took 2 minutes to load any of my pages, then crashed hard. Something called Quick n' Easy Web Builder seemed nice but was way over-engineered and couldn't open simple HTML pages and let me work with them. Sadly the elitist attitude that writing code directly is |<00L so all wysiwyg editors must be n00bs (I'm looking at you, Coda 2) isn't helpful. I am trying to write blog posts, not code HTML/CSS, hence I need wysiwyg.

Never seen a product category get hollowed out as fast as I did this one. And I've been using these apps some PageMill 1.0.

The market for wysiwyg editors pretty much died probably because many people run sites running CMS such as Wordpress, use a pre-build template that is good enough, or hire a web developer who customize a template for their use.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Sorry to jump in late, but my recommendation is a well respected web editor for Mac named Amaya. It can also be used to create and update documents directly on the Web.

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

There is a binary distro for Mac available and the features are impressive, if not daunting. This is a professional solution, and in my opinion for WYSIWYG editing nothing comes close. Please check it out.

However, any experienced developer might tell you that any such editor is not perfect because the browser engines are so varied and with unique quirks. So alignment and styling variances are always possible. I happen to be a Coda 2 fan, I like the interface, the fact it does not eat system resources and the syntax highlighting choices. But I acknowledge I need to keep browser windows open for testing and preview. Especially for dynamic sites where a server side language and DB might be involved in parsing and caching pages.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Is there a plugin for Coda that highlights the coda when highlighting text/objects in preview?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.