Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
All the details you've provided sounds like the expected behavior for a stock PC card. What this means is you'll see nothing onscreen until the user environment loads. There does exist a procedure to add the neccessary EFI code to your cards ROM so it's properly initialized at boot. In effect you'll end up with a hybrid Mac card rendering full screen support at boot. Granted the success rate is highly dependent upon the card and how far it deviated from the reference design. In other words, the best way to insure a good flash is to get a PC card that's as close as possible to the specs of the Mac card you're trying to mimic. It's been years since I flashed my own card so I can't recall all the steps off hand but I do remember having to research which make and model of card to buy before flashing. I can't guarantee a prompt response due to it being Thanksgiving tomorrow but if you post your cards original ROM, the modified ROM you're currently using and the exact model of the card I'll have a look into rolling you a new ROM.

No worries - it works fine as it is - the boot screen is pretty unnecessary 99% of the time and now I have boot.efi working fine on Mavericks, I'm not too bothered about flashing it again. I've seen plenty of people who have flashed cards with no boot screen. The process you described sounds pretty similar to what I already did, so there's no guarantee it'll even fix it.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The behavior you described indicates that your card isn't flashed at all, just a stock PC card dropped in.
Flashed radeon HD 5000 (and I guess 6000) series don't show a boot screen, except on VGA (for some). No one has managed to fix the issue, AFAIK.

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Flashed radeon HD 5000 (and I guess 6000) series don't show a boot screen, except on VGA (for some). No one has managed to fix the issue, AFAIK.

Now you've got me curious. If they still lack a boot screen, which indicates they're not being properly initialized after post, then what purpose does flashing them serve exactly?

mutantst

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
Any news on a release date for MLPostFactor - Mavericks and an MLPostfactor download link and instructions?

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
All you need to do actually is replacing the boot efi file(s).
Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/[COLOR="DarkOrange"]boot.efi[/COLOR]
and
Code:
/usr/standalone/i386/[COLOR="DarkOrange"]boot.efi[/COLOR]
delete them with the Terminal
Code:
sudo rm -rf **file path**
Now just drag and drop the boot.efi file by tiamo to those locations.
You do not even need to care about permissions (as the firmware does not care either).
Afterwards just reboot, hold the option key and select your system drive.
To make sure the Mac will boot this partition every time select it as the Startup drive in the System Preferences.

The Advancements? Much faster boot times. Full hardware recognition*.
*You need to have a GPU which works with Mac OS (presumably no unflashed PC cards).

No need for a 32bit kernel.

Thanks man... it appears to be working nicely. Bye bye Chameleon. Now I've got a blank 1GB partition. For people that want to hang on to their Chameleon partition, you'll have to use the option key on start-up every time to select your HD of choice, otherwise Chameleon will boot. You'll have to log out of iMessages and back in, but I didn't have to change my password. I did have to repair permissions.

Now the big question I have is... Can I Clone this drive including the System to my MacBook Pro and have it boot without problems or just clone the User folder?

Last edited:

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
For people that want to hang on to their Chameleon partition, you'll have to use the option key on start-up every time to select your HD of choice, otherwise Chameleon will boot.

This is incorrect. After setting the Mavericks drive as the default in Startup Disk it will be booted automatically every time.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
[...]

Now the big question I have is... Can I Clone this drive including the System to my MacBook Pro and have it boot without problems or just clone the User folder?

Install whatever Mavericks to your MacBook, and run the Migration Assistant afterwards (it's located in the OS X utilities folder - The clean install on your MacBook however will ask you upon first boot whether you'd like to migrate another system).

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
Install whatever Mavericks to your MacBook, and run the Migration Assistant afterwards (it's located in the OS X utilities folder - The clean install on your MacBook however will ask you upon first boot whether you'd like to migrate another system).

You misunderstand. I use CCC to Sync (back-up) my Mac Pro 2,1 to my MacBook Pro. I just wanted to know whether or not these two boot files will clash with the laptop. I think they don't

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
You misunderstand. I use CCC to Sync (back-up) my Mac Pro 2,1 to my MacBook Pro. I just wanted to know whether or not these two boot files will clash with the laptop. I think they don't

No I did not misunderstood. I just would advice not to do so but using the Migration assistant instead.

However if you want to do it this way it depends on your MacBook Pro whether it will be successful. If it's officially supported by Apple (64bit efi) it (properly) won't work unless you replace the boot.efi files with the original ones afterwards.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Hmm... that wasn't the case for me. I'm almost sure that I tried restarting from start-up disk in system prefs.

I found that you have to set the startup disk after booting from Mavericks using the new boot.efi. If I set the startup disk when booted from Chameleon (i.e. before switching to boot.efi for the first time) it reverted back to Chameleon afterwards.

Last edited:

enricoferro

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
Italy, Calabria, Vibo Valentia
Mavericks on Macmini mid 2007: It works but without WIFI card

Hi there, i'm new to this great forum and i'm italian, so exscuse me for my bad english...
This morning i managed to install on my Macmini Mid 2007 (1,83 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM and Intel GMA 950 64 MB) Mavericks!
It has been really simple using CCC and Tiamo Boot.efi.
Starting from my Macbook Pro, i make a clean install of Mavericks on an external USB HD.
Then, using CCC i cloned the new installation on the secondary partition on the hdd in my Macmini.
I log in as root user, backed up Boot.efi (in both the directories), delete the originals and copy the Tiamo Boot.efi (non verbose version).
Reboot with option key and selected the Mavericks partition.
In a few minutes Mavericks was on my Macmini, but it doesn't recognize the WiFi card.
Does someone know if it's possible to make it works?
Should i make something else to enhance the GPU performances?
Does i need some kext?
Thank you very much...
It's really intresting to read your post... Thanks :)

pfeoora

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Hi there, i'm new to this great forum and i'm italian, so exscuse me for my bad english...
This morning i managed to install on my Macmini Mid 2007 (1,83 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM and Intel GMA 950 64 MB) Mavericks!

Awesome! I've got the same model. Hopefully hackerwayne finds a way to get this working as smooth as MLPostFactor installation. Can't wait for Mavericks on my "slightly" obsolete Mac Mini :D
BTW: is there any news about 10.8.5 support in MacPostFactor or MLPostFactor?

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Awesome! I've got the same model. Hopefully hackerwayne finds a way to get this working as smooth as MLPostFactor installation. Can't wait for Mavericks on my "slightly" obsolete Mac Mini :D
BTW: is there any news about 10.8.5 support in MacPostFactor or MLPostFactor?

10.8.5 is working fine if you use the 10.8.4 during setup. (Like being said many times before.)

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hmm... that wasn't the case for me. I'm almost sure that I tried restarting from start-up disk in system prefs.

Did you reset your NVRAM? I just reset my NVRAM after installing the two boot.efi files and never held option once. Resetting the NVRAM kicks it out of legacy boot mode and it will boot the efi files instead.

NotLordXenu

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
It has been really simple using CCC and Tiamo Boot.efi.
Starting from my Macbook Pro, i make a clean install of Mavericks on an external USB HD.
Then, using CCC i cloned the new installation on the secondary partition on the hdd in my Macmini.
I log in as root user, backed up Boot.efi (in both the directories), delete the originals and copy the Tiamo Boot.efi (non verbose version).
Reboot with option key and selected the Mavericks partition.
In a few minutes Mavericks was on my Macmini, but it doesn't recognize the WiFi card.
Does someone know if it's possible to make it works?
Should i make something else to enhance the GPU performances?
Does i need some kext?
Thank you very much...
It's really intresting to read your post... Thanks :)

You need Atheros21 for wifi. it does NOT work with WPA encryption, Open, and WEP only.

I've done some work on GMA950, but no QE/CI yet.

I'm waiting to see what hackerwayne, and the others are doing, to know if it's worth the time or not. If they do something with it, I won't bother with it.

This has the kexts you need. It works with Mini 2,1. Yours should be the same.

MacMini_Mavericks.zip

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
No I did not misunderstood. I just would advice not to do so but using the Migration assistant instead.

However if you want to do it this way it depends on your MacBook Pro whether it will be successful. If it's officially supported by Apple (64bit efi) it (properly) won't work unless you replace the boot.efi files with the original ones afterwards.

OK. When I use CCC for this I'll just back up the user folder only. I would rather not use Migration Assistant because it will take too long to copy everything that way. CCC will only copy any new files

enricoferro

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
Italy, Calabria, Vibo Valentia
You need Atheros21 for wifi. it does NOT work with WPA encryption, Open, and WEP only.

I've done some work on GMA950, but no QE/CI yet.

I'm waiting to see what hackerwayne, and the others are doing, to know if it's worth the time or not. If they do something with it, I won't bother with it.

This has the kexts you need. It works with Mini 2,1. Yours should be the same.

MacMini_Mavericks.zip

Thank you very much... I'm dure your work will be useful for me and i hope Hackerwayne or someone else will do the rest :)

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
OK. When I use CCC for this I'll just back up the user folder only. I would rather not use Migration Assistant because it will take too long to copy everything that way. CCC will only copy any new files

If it's only the user you won't have any Problems concerning compatibility, but keep in mind, that having a user folder does not equal to have an OS X user account.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
If it's only the user you won't have any Problems concerning compatibility, but keep in mind, that having a user folder does not equal to have an OS X user account.

Other than Applications, what else would I have to worry about copying...

I just had a thought. In CCC, I believe I can copy everything except those two boot.efi files. Just deselect them.

The boot file in the System folder isn't there to uncheck within CCC, so maybe it won't work. Sorry to get slightly off topic guys. It's really not a big deal.

----------

Just let Migration Assistant run overnight.

I'd rather not leave my MacBookPro in TDM all night. That thing gets hot, even with four external fans underneath. If there was a way to have that sleep when the Mac Pro sleeps that would be good.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I'd rather not leave my MacBookPro in TDM all night. That thing gets hot, even with four external fans underneath. If there was a way to have that sleep when the Mac Pro sleeps that would be good.

I wouldn't think it would get that hot, it's not really doing much and the hdd should spin down when it's not in use. Besides unless it is like 90 degrees and you are sitting the MBP on a soft pillow it's not going to overheat.

lokocool

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Guys, I have read this thred and I'm confused.

I have Macbook Pro with ATI x1600, and is it aby chance to run maverivs on it ?

If the answer is YES please give me the step by step ( or link ) how to do it... Becouse with MLFactor it was easy, and right now I don't know from what to start.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Guys, I have read this thred and I'm confused.

I have Macbook Pro with ATI x1600, and is it aby chance to run maverivs on it ?

If the answer is YES please give me the step by step ( or link ) how to do it... Becouse with MLFactor it was easy, and right now I don't know from what to start.

No. Not possible yet. You will properly have to wait for MacPostFactor (the successor of MLPF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.