Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I have an early 2011 MBP which has had the internal optical drive removed and a second HDD added. I performed the plist edit to allow an external SuperDrive to work with my machine.

I did this edit whilst my machine was running 10.7.5, but recently I upgraded to Mavericks and - it must've been a couple of weeks after the upgrade - I finally re-attached my SuperDrive but I now get the below error:

dvderror_zps337fefc8.jpg

Any ideas? I've done the SMC and PRAM resets.

Is there any extra I have to do under Mavericks? I have checked the plist and it still has the "correct" entry.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I just did an upgrade to my MBP, added an SSD and replaced optical bay w/HDD, made a DIY fusion drive, got external USB case for optical drive. I got this same error with DVD Player but VLC works just fine. I did this with mavericks and did not know it would disable DRM playability w/DVDs. I contacted OWC support since I got their data doubler kit, and this was their only solution. I did not know you could do a work around in Lion. I'm sure apple disabled that ability.

I am subscribed to this thread now...if someone finds a way to use DVD Player with the SuperDrive being external, I would also like to know!! :)

binaryspiral

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
I just did an upgrade to my MBP, added an SSD and replaced optical bay w/HDD, made a DIY fusion drive, got external USB case for optical drive. I got this same error with DVD Player but VLC works just fine. I did this with mavericks and did not know it would disable DRM playability w/DVDs. I contacted OWC support since I got their data doubler kit, and this was their only solution. I did not know you could do a work around in Lion. I'm sure apple disabled that ability.

I am subscribed to this thread now...if someone finds a way to use DVD Player with the SuperDrive being external, I would also like to know!! :)

I wish I had a fix, but I wanted to chime in and let you know that the AppleUSBODD file that would have normally needed editing to add MacBookPro to the list of supported devices already had it - I did a clean install and now I'm stuck.

Seriously Apple... this is the stuff that really grinds my gears, there is no valid reason not to support external optical media on a laptop.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Click on the black apple while holding down the 'option' key and select "System Information'. When "System Information" opens up select 'Disk Burning' and tell us if OS X sees the drive.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Try going to the Library folder and renaming the com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist file.

I think the problem is that the DVDPlayer.app is expecting the DEV to be elsewhere. It happens to me on Linux quite often when I move things around, but it's pretty easy to point the app in the right direction. I'm not that experienced with OS X, but it seems to me that the plist file would contain the relevant information that needs changing.

Anyway, it's a shot in the dark... Maybe you'll get lucky, if it doesn't solve it, nothing lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.