Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordking65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
San Diego, California, USA
i lost my tuner and i rather pay like $5 for an a tuner app then going to the store and buying a tuner.

Anyone know what a good guitar tuner or tuner at all that is free or a low price?? thanks!

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
It's a bit pricey at $10, but I have had guitar toolkit since it came out and it is invaluable. It has a tuner (can be set for any of dozens of tunings, including many I've never heard of), chord charts, a metronome, a "fretboard" which basically allows you to play each string of the instrument in your selected tuning so you can tune to a pitch by ear. It also has support for 6, 7, and 12 string guitars, 4, 5, and 6 string Bass' as well as ukeleles and mandolins

Its incredible

I also purchased Tab Toolkit (same dev) which is a great guitarpro and powertab reader that can be used on iPhone and iPad

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I personally recommend Cleartune. It's not a guitar-specific tuner, so if you don't know the name of each string (EADGBE), you will have a hard time. It's VERY accurate (within 1 cent, which is pretty much as good as it gets). It displays results in real time, which is AMAZING for a tuner.

I used it pretty much every day in university (I am a music student). It can detect notes from virtually any instrument. I used it for tuba (most tuners wont work for a tuba, but this one did).

It's only $3.99, which is a steal, considering actual tuners cost upwards of $20. It's the most accurate tuner my tuba professor has ever seen (and he's owned many expensive tuners. He loves how it displays results in realtime.

There is another app I had seen about a week back on the app store, called Guitar Machine. If you're looking for a guitar-specific tuner, this might be your best bet. I don't own this app, so I can't vouch for what the developer claims, but they speak highly of it. It's on sale for $0.99, and is accurate within the sub-cent range (they claim it's the most accurate tuner on the app store). It also has guitar features like chord diagrams and a metronome. Great UI too.

Best of luck choosing an app that suits your needs. Let us know what you choose :)

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I have Cleartune, iStroboSoft, and Polytune and IMO iStroboSoft is easily the best and most accurate.
If only it had 'sweetened' tunings like the pedal version it would be perfect.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The TC Electronic PolyTune is by far my favorite tuner app. This is coming from someone that spent 10 bucks on the Peterson iStrobosoft.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
The TC Electronic PolyTune is by far my favorite tuner app. This is coming from someone that spent 10 bucks on the Peterson iStrobosoft.

What do you like better about it, just curious?
In my experience it is simply not as accurate as iStrobosoft.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
i lost my tuner and i rather pay like $5 for an a tuner app then going to the store and buying a tuner.

Anyone know what a good guitar tuner or tuner at all that is free or a low price?? thanks!

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=150

This is the best, and good value when you consider that its nearly identical to their several hundred dollar physical tuners that are found in every high end studio

finley.carter

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
I mostly use Cleartune too which is great (specially with the iRig adapter). Just discovered an interesting one though called the strobalizer, not quite sure how it works but it doesn't use sound just light apparently?! Kinda freaky but seems to work...

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
So...I guess nobody uses their ear and harmonics any more...:p

Without absolute pitch ability, you'll still need a reference, and while I used to have certain songs that were great for that (King Diamond - The Eye - some nice long D power chords!!1!!1) and then go with harmonics, I prefer using a tuner for a Floyd Rose equipped guitar, at least when re-stringing, for minor adjustments (which rarely are necessary with good guitars) the harmonics are what I use most of the time.

On topic: guitar toolkit , love it.

Daikyouju

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010

If you want to tune your guitar within seconds then the answer is: LP Tuner

LP Tuner is the fastest and most accurate guitar tuner available, optimized for iOS 7 and 64-bit devices!
Made for acoustic and electric guitars, in Lite and Pro versions. Works with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with iOS 5.1.1 or later.

Proudly developed by Daikyouju Labs. All feedback is welcome.

Please visit our website for more info. Also, remember to check our other tuners, too!

Last edited:

guitartunio

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2023
US

Guitar Tuner Pro - GuitarTunio​

Try the free Guitar Tuner Pro - GuitarTunio app for iphone.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I use Fender Tune - I’m sure some will have an issue here. The usuals and can tune from Standard to Open G, etc. For use at gigs all the iPhone tuners are crap because of the noise.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Yes. I enjoy the Fender tuner app for my guitar lessons. It does have trouble with ambient noise in the room, but so do i when I'm trying to tune. It's free, if I remember correctly. It also has a tone generator so that you can do it the old fashioned way like with the little "harmonica" tuners.

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
These are a few High-Rated Guitar Tuning Apps available for IOS devices:
  1. GuitarTuna
  2. Fender Tune
  3. Pro Guitar Tuner
  4. Pitched
  5. Cleartune

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.