Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Phone subsidies are abolished in Spain, Germany, Italy and Russia. (iphone market share is weak)

Phone subsidies are strongest in USA, Japan, UK, Australia and France (iphone market share is strong)

Phone subsidies favor high-end smartphones since it masks the true cost of the device.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Who cares? I never hear people asking how many Galaxy Mini's or HTC One mini's were sold. I don't remember last year people being obsessed with how many 4S's Apple was selling. Besides, we'll never know as Apple will never break out iPhone sales.

The article states that the 5C broadened Apple's market, yet the market share is down. I'm curious as to how many 5C's were sold to broaden this market. By many indicators, the 5C is not selling as well as many thought. Go to your local Apple store and ask. I've gotten the same answer at all three in my area.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
Misleading Numbers

Android is like the generic mobile OS, so it's no surprise the numbers are high.
I really hate how everyone looks at sales numbers year over year and not increased active user numbers. In the two years I had my iPhone 4 my youngest son went through 3 Android phones. Whereas my original 2007 iPhone 8GB is still in use by a grandchild as is my 3GS both as iPod touches with emergency calling capabilities (ages under 12). My other Son and Daughter are using my iPhone 4 and 4S while my Wife is using my iPhone 5, how many Android users can claim that they (or someone) is still using their 2008 Android. In 6 years Apple iPhones just keep working. NOTE: all older iPhones had their batteries replaced (Phones Exchanged) before their AppleCare expired thereby extending their useful life.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
It's because they make cheap off-contract phones. I would love to see a market share comparison of high end android phones (in iPhone price range) with the iPhone.

This is like comparing Hyundai, Honda, ford, Chevy, and dodge sales etc with audi, BMW, or Mercedes lol

Great comparison.

I've always seen and considered Android as Windows when compared to Mac (iOS). Dozens of cheap $400 Windows computers from dozens of brands compared to $1200 Macs from one brand.

I've talked to so many people that bought a cheap Android phone and all they do is complain about it.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
IDC 3Q of 2013

idc_smartphone_os_q3_2013.png

Android 81%
iOS 12.9%
windows 3.6%

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Android leads because there are more different models from more different companies, which has the big negative of creating a fragmented user base.

Exactly .... With hundreds of android phones, most of them crappy low cost / low specs models ...

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I had to set up an android tablet for a friend yesterday; and the experience was awful! The GUI is laggy, animations are years behind iOS, crap ware is across the entire device, impossible to even just set up an email (on iOS you enter username & password, android you enter username, password, domain, security type, email type, IP, port, and it still doesn't work). The only reason more people buy these is because they just see the price tag and thinks it is somehow as good as the more expensive iPhones. It could also be up to biased sellers, I know someone that went to buy an iPad for FaceTime, and the seller said that this android device had that but it is better.

God; just because sellers buy ****y devices, doesn't mean you have to mis sell them to others!!! The must think it is like the Ring; and they have to make someone watch the tap!!!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Basically. When you have 50 android phones and 3 iPhones, there will always be more androids out there.

Looks like the 5C set out to do exactly what apple wanted.
Where are the iPhone 5c bashers ?
5c is selling like it was supposed to do.

----------

Android is like the generic mobile OS, so it's no surprise the numbers are high.

How many crappy ridiculous 140€ (Free of contract) android smartphones there are ?
Comparing market share where apple just sells two models targeted at the high end segment (629€ and 729€ here in Italy) is useles ....

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Basically. When you have 50 android phones and 3 iPhones, there will always be more androids out there.

Looks like the 5C set out to do exactly what apple wanted.

The iPhone 5c is equal to the Galaxy 4 ... Which is only about 20% of Samsung's "android" sales.., everything else is SEVERELY lower spec'd. It's similar from other companies too.. Real "iPhone" -class Android phones are only about 1/4 -1/3 of the Android market... So if Apple wants to sell non-updatable crap, they could try.

Right now Apple selling slmost as many TOP TIER PHONES as the other companies put together.. When you consider iPhone 5/5c as a "starter phone".

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It's because they make cheap off-contract phones. I would love to see a market share comparison of high end android phones (in iPhone price range) with the iPhone.

This is like comparing Hyundai, Honda, ford, Chevy, and dodge sales etc with audi, BMW, or Mercedes lol

Note3 is selling like 4 to 5 mil per month. S4 is selling like 7 to 8 mil per month. That's like 33-39 mil per quarter high end comparable to ip5/5s.

Let's take the best case scenario for Apple at 50mil per quarter of which 60% are high end giving 30mil. In reality it will be somewhat lower.

Just samsung alone sells more high end than apple. So your car comparison is just nonsense.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Android leads because there are more different models from more different companies, which has the big negative of creating a fragmented user base.

Android "leads" because there are tons of cheap little Android phones around, and people replacing cheap feature phones with equally cheap smartphones. Mostly because they want a touch screen instead of a keypad. These guys counting unit sales should really look at revenue.

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I have long left the iPhone for android and will never go back. I own several macs at home but I am very tired of the closed in nature of IOS products. My Note II is better than the iPhone is pretty much every way. I have 64gb storage, complete file access, googlemaps, customization, changeable battery, the build quality is great (sure it is not aluminum, but I have dropped it several times and no cracked screen, I see so many cracked iPhones it is ridiculous.

I love the large screen and the true multitasking. I have converted several of my friends to android and it is almost like there eyes were opened. I still love my iPad, but only because it is jailbroken. You can't even upload a file natively other than photos to your email or on a website on an IOS device!!

Once I find an android tablet that has a complete smooth UI and the build quality of the iPad I am leaving it behind. If only apple would design a tablet that is suited more for the power user that includes a stylus, but I guess they don't want to stick to steve's vision. Too bad.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So it worked! Congratulations Apple!

"It" did not work. This survey shows Apple's market share falling in almost all markets worldwide.

The 5c is a good product, but it does not hit the right price point to stem the tide of market share loss to Android. If Apple care about the long-term future of their platform then they need to do better.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How many crappy ridiculous 140€ (Free of contract) android smartphones there are ?
Comparing market share where apple just sells two models targeted at the high end segment (629€ and 729€ here in Italy) is useles ....

So what segment do you think it would be appropriate to use for Apple?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The best life lesson I ever learned from life in America is never to be #1 at anything. The only thing Americans hate more than a loser is a winner. The top guy is always the target. It's better to slide in at #2 and not have to deal with all of the shells that are aimed at #1. Then you can get something done!

There may be some truth in that. I am not bothered by the increasing market power of Android. In fact, I would like to see even more pressure on Apple. If the company becomes too big, then it will at some point lose the flexibility it had in the past, i.e. to do things differently.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Some surprisingly high Windows numbers there. Especially GB. I've seen exactly one Windows phone in the wild yet they have 10% :confused:

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Or more like singling out a Toyota Camry vs. V8, V6, and 4-cylinder, i.e. a specific model vs. the generic engines that power all other cars.

Samsung purposely does not reveal individual handset sales, so they lump all of their 2.3 third-world sales in with their flagships to give the impression that all their sales are on par with iPhone, which they are not.

In my experience on any given day on the NYC subway, if I look around the train car and see 10 people using their smartphones, invariably 8 or more of them are iPhones. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The article states that the 5C broadened Apple's market, yet the market share is down. I'm curious as to how many 5C's were sold to broaden this market. By many indicators, the 5C is not selling as well as many thought. Go to your local Apple store and ask. I've gotten the same answer at all three in my area.

You really should know that the whole market is in a multi-year transition from feature phones to smart phones.

Apple's market share in the total phone market has been growing year after year after year.

And "Not as well as many thought"? "Many" or mostly stupid. The 5C isn't going to sell to someone who replaces a $80 feature phone with a $80 Android smart phone. But they are apparently taking quite a few sales away from high-end Android phones, that is in the market where Apple is actually competing. This is like Mercedes coming up with a new car that really appeals to BMW customers. Doesn't matter if the sales are not stellar as long as every buyer is someone switching from BMW.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Windows market share is going up a bit too. Who is losing out on this, Blackberry or Android?

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I recently switched from iPhone to Android. I don't know why I waited so long - lots more innovation and choice on this side of the fence. Moved my parents over this weekend as well - they are also thrilled

Really? What Innovations does Android have that iOS lacks? Cause one of my coworkers was showing off his Nexus 5 and there wasn't anything that my iPhone 4S can't do.... And some things my 4S can do that his Nexus can't.

I did the Android thing and it was such a poor experience I doubt I'll ever go back. And that was on a new, great, hot Android phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.