Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OS X 10.9 Mavericks continues to gain popularity, overtaking previous versions of OS X like Mountain Lion and Lion in November of 2013 according to the newest market share data from Net Applications (via The Next Web). First introduced on October 22, Mavericks is Apple's newest operating system and the first version of OS X to be released free to consumers.

During the month of November, Mavericks gained 1.58 percentage points, growing from 0.84 percent of total operating system market share to 2.42 percent, while other versions of OS X lost share. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion dropped 1.48 percentage points to 1.85 percent, while OS X 10.7 Lion dropped 0.22 percentage points to 1.34 percentage points. OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard dropped 0.07 percentage points to 1.53 percent and OS X 10.5 dropped 0.01 percentage points to 0.32 percent.

mavericksadoptionnovember.jpg
Though Mavericks market share has continued to grow steadily since its release, overall OS X market share, at 7.56 percent, remains dwarfed by Windows market share, which is at 90.88 percent with Windows 7 being the most popular Windows operating system.

While Net Applications data shows Mavericks gaining ground over its predecessors, data from GoSquared suggests that though Mavericks usage has continued to rise over the course of the last month, it is still lagging behind OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.7. According to the data, Mavericks usage is at nearly 21 percent, compared to 31 percent for 10.8 and 24 percent for 10.7.

The difference between the two measurements is likely due to the number of visitors tracked and the different sites being monitored, but both data points suggest that Apple's strategy of delivering the update free to all users has worked favorably for the company, encouraging users to upgrade to the latest software.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 Mavericks Adoption Continues to Grow Steadily

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Is this a glimpse into the future of iOS marketshare? Let's hope not.

Who cares? Market share is just one metric and not even in the top 5 of the most important metrics. Mac OS X having a tiny market share means absolutely nothing to the designers and developers I work with who use Macs almost exclusively.

The masses will always have the cheaper stuff. That's always been the case in any industry.

Last edited:

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It is truly amazing how the Windows world has fragmented itself. It used to be that people advance ordered the new Win and could not wait to get it. Seeing a third of the WinWorld still using XP is amazing and I know some who are using Win2k in machine-specific roles. This really shows a lack of enthusiasm by MS's customers and they need to get back to building an OS people actually want to use.

dkhenkin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
Windows XP...really? These numbers have to include enterprise machines, because that Windows XP number seems rather high for consumers. If it does in fact include Enterprise customers then I imagine there will be a drastic shift after April of next year when Microsoft ends XP support.

obitow

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Berlin, Germany
"OS X 10.7 Snow Leopard"

I really don't like those "grammarnazis", but this time the information is unclear.

Last edited:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The number of XP machines out there is sickening haha. What will all these people do come April 8th this year? :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Windows XP...really? These numbers have to include enterprise machines, because that Windows XP number seems rather high for consumers. If it does in fact include Enterprise customers then I imagine there will be a drastic shift after April of next year when Microsoft ends XP support.

Must be enterprise. My work machine is still windows XP and IE 8. :eek:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why are Windows 8 and 8.1 counted as two different OSs? 8.1 is pretty much just a service pack for 8. As 8.2 will be.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Haha, Windows XP... Even at my work, we use Windows 7 and many of our customers as well. A few actually still do use XP but that's much more rare than this chart indicates.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How many applications are available for Mac versus those for Windows on PCs? That's why I care about what could happen for mobile devices.

I don't know...these days I find it much harder to discover well-designed apps (and I'm not just talking about the veneer) on Windows than on OS X.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Good to see Windows XP still going string. It was all downhill for Windows after that release.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Why are Windows 8 and 8.1 counted as two different OSs? 8.1 is pretty much just a service pack for 8. As 8.2 will be.
Microsoft is considering the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 as a full version release.
Similar to how Apple considers each release a full version release between 10.7, 10.8 and the like.

The number of XP machines out there is sickening haha. What will all these people do come April 8th this year? :p

its enterprise.
Enterprise software / hardware is extremely hard, if not next to impossible to replace. Regression testing takes years to get enterprise platforms working on latest released Operating Systems. When you're talking about extremely large behemoth of Corporations running very large enterprise back ends, you dont get a lot of quick Turnover.

As a Development company. We see this regularly. A client Will spend a good 6 months to a year installing. updating, configuring and getting their enterprise system up and running with a very specific configuration.
Once that configuration hits "production". it never changes. The OS stays the same. THe platforms stay the same. The Runtimes and even the OS the clients run on.

Many cases, A client built their production environment mid 2000's and went with XP cause of stability fo the time. Their UAT showed XP works. Until they do their next system upgrade and do a full blown system testing again, which can take months, they will stick hard and fast to XP. even since is not longer the current platform (and we support Windows 7).

Change management at large corporations.... it's a pain

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
It's free hence the adoption rate. If it were $30 like Lion it would be less . And the bugs with this OS are plentiful. It is the Vista of OSX. Don't believe me? Well just check out this forum's 10.9 section.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Raw numbers are relatively meaningless. What matters more is whether you can do what you need to do on the platform.

And you can't do much without applications. Macs hardware would probably be dead by now if Apple did not switch to Intel CPUs thus enabling Macs to run Windows applications.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Vista has a higher market share than Mavericks.

This doesn't really mean anything, but it's funny to think about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.