Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Now this is what I've been waiting for! I hope apple does the same screen lamination process as the new iMacs instead of the air gap style in their external display.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Now this is what I've been waiting for! I hope apple does the same screen lamination process as the new iMacs instead of the air gap style in their external display.

I hope not, I hope they will come up with something better. The glossy crap is driving me mad. Wish they were still selling the 30" ACDs. Those were great displays

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
What's with the priceing? 24" $1400 28" under 1000 but 32" is $3500!? Why would anyone buy anything besides the 28" at those prices.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
So does this mean that we will finally be able to easily adjust the text size of everything at once in OSX someday, or should I just buy a more powerful magnifying glass?

houkouonchi

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
What's with the priceing? 24" $1400 28" under 1000 but 32" is $3500!? Why would anyone buy anything besides the 28" at those prices.

As others have mentioned the 24/32 inch are 10-bit (deep color) and they are IPS/IGZO (expensive panels). Its looking like the 27 inch will be a VA panel which is much much cheaper. The Seiki 39 inch 4k ($500) and 50 inch ($750) are way cheaper than these displays as they are S-MVA panels. That being said they do only support 30Hz as they are HDMI only which is the downside of them.

Apple currently doesn't support MST at all and their own display may use SST so these displays may not work well on a Mac at all.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
All are 4K. The price appears to be a mistake.

I don't think you understood what "pixel density" meant. They can both be 4k, but if the same number of pixels occupy a larger area, the pixels are less dense and, the poster hypothesized, cheaper to produce. (Of course, the 32" model breaks that trend, but, assuming none of these are typos, perhaps the larger size of components needed for that display is enough to significantly offset any savings the lesser density is hypothesized to provide.)

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Speed used to be a long-underappreciated competitive weapon of Apples—they rolled-out iPod and iPhone iterations at a staggering pace. It's why, in part at least, MS came up with the Zune. Apple kept moving the target, and Microsoft hit the wrong one.

Now Dell—DELL—is setting the spec and pricing of the market. It's rumored the same thing happened with the retina display on the mini—Apple had to respond to Android. The same thing is happening again as the retina is behind on specs.

Some things are worth taking your time with. Wearable computing. TV.

But somethings are obvious, and Apple should have moved faster and controlled the discussion. When you release a 4K compatible computer, you need to release the monitor to go along with it.

My bet is it's coming in June 2014 at WWDC. Unless Dell has forced their hand faster.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Don't care. Where's Apple's version?

Care to explain why Dell's version is irrelevant, bearing in mind that they shared the same IPS panel as Apple's 27". Bit strange to dismiss something just because it's not Apple...surely you weren't being that shallow were you?

Apple's version would be the same panel in a different frame, maybe with a magsafe power cable added on or something for another ~$1k.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I'll wait for the Koreans to offer the same panel for 1/4 of the cost.

Lets hope that happen's with the 4K's, their 27" IPS ones were flawless, and a fraction of the cost. Made it a bit of a no brainer really.

Last edited by a moderator:

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
And of course, no Thunderbolt support (unless you use one of Apple's exclusive Thunderbolt adapters, priced accordingly).

You know, when is Apple just going to admit this Thunderbolt of theirs is a joke; no one else has adopted it, and it's just too expensive for what few accessories out there.

Can't wait for the MacPro with its octopus-like Thunderbolt cable extensions linking everything to the motherbeast.

P.S. Yes, I'm an Apple user and have been since 1990. I just don't like this walled-in-garden approach they've been taking since 2007.

Apple have a history of trying to create their own standard when there is a perfectly good standard being used by the rest of the industry. Remember Apple Display Connector , Apple connector that ran data and 25V of power to the screen using one cable. Using a non ADC screen on a Pro Mac or an ADC screen on a computer without the ADC connector (this included Mac laptops) required all kinds of adaptors.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Speed used to be a long-underappreciated competitive weapon of Apples—they rolled-out iPod and iPhone iterations at a staggering pace. It's why, in part at least, MS came up with the Zune. Apple kept moving the target, and Microsoft hit the wrong one.

Now Dell—DELL—is setting the spec and pricing of the market. It's rumored the same thing happened with the retina display on the mini—Apple had to respond to Android. The same thing is happening again as the retina is behind on specs.

Some things are worth taking your time with. Wearable computing. TV.

But somethings are obvious, and Apple should have moved faster and controlled the discussion. When you release a 4K compatible computer, you need to release the monitor to go along with it.

My bet is it's coming in June 2014 at WWDC. Unless Dell has forced their hand faster.

The Mac Pro hasn't really been released yet. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Smaller pixel density?

That's the only feasible explanation, but doesn't really make sense to me either.

the 24'' is out now.

the 28'' will be out sometime next year for that "breakthrough price".

But since its not out YET, the pricing makes sense. (letting people know does not make much sense though, but perhaps the 24'' is superior in some way besides the size.)

They can drop the price of the 24 when the bigger one comes out

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Perhaps the 28 inch screen size were snapped up by Apple, hence Dell facing no supply to release them. They don't supply any exact specs of the 28 inch panel so may have just thrown out the sub $1000 figure now to give people food for thought if Apple were to release a 28 inch 4K alongside the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.