Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Thought I'd start a thread where we can all add news tidbits that might be of interest to our Folding Team 3446.

and I thought I'd start off by noting that PG sez that the stats server is back online so perhaps we'll see updates on the next cycle :)

Louis

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Changes in Core17: update and move to full fah

With FAH GPU Core17 taking over the lion share of our calculations, with the older cores (especially core15 and core16) phasing out (as previously announced), we’re rolling out core 17 to full fah (not just adv). This should hopefully resolve the issue that many GPU donors have been seeing in terms of not getting any work, now that Core15 and Core16 jobs are at end of life.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/changes-in-core17-update-and-move-to-full-fah/

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Change in BA requirements coming in 2014

We have a policy of periodically re-evaluating the bigadv program, including the threshold required to run bigadv projects.
It is the intent of bigadv to match large and resource-intensive work units with some of the most powerful machines used by FAH donors. This "most powerful" line naturally advances with computing power. To date, bigadv has been a CPU-based program, and with increasing numbers of CPU cores and power of those cores, we have decided to lay out a roadmap of bigadv threshold changes for the next several months.

Feb 17 (two months from today): bigadv threshold will become 24 cores
Apr 17 (four months from today): bigadv threshold will become 32 cores

We want to give advance notice of these changes, and we recognize that change is not always welcome or comfortable. We should also emphasize that the science performed by donor machines is valuable in all parts of the FAH project, and part of the change in bigadv threshold is because we would like to encourage moderately powerful machines to help boost the capabilities of non-bigadv SMP projects where we do a lot of this science.

We also recognize that core count is not the most robust metric of machine capability, but given our current infrastructure it is the most straightforward surrogate to evaluate.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=24&t=25410

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
BA changes...

Thanks for pointing that out Christian!

Not a lot of notice, esp. for all the folks who have been buying 4p socket F machines lately (and I was tempted too -- good thing I didn't). What does that mean for the 2P E5 machines I wonder? Because it's not all cores, it's also clock speed…

Louis

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks for pointing that out Christian!

Not a lot of notice, esp. for all the folks who have been buying 4p socket F machines lately (and I was tempted too -- good thing I didn't). What does that mean for the 2P E5 machines I wonder? Because it's not all cores, it's also clock speed…

Louis

2P with 2680v2 should be ok, that's 40 core with HT, but become dangerous low-end; only BA for [H] :eek: (but let's discuss outside this news collector)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
new BA GPU units

...and that's BA for Big A** -- they're 9401s and are worth 13,000 base points...

it'll take my 7970 GPU most of a day to do one (@ 8:24 TPF) but it'll be worth about 55K points :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Out of beta, into advanced GPU project 9401

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=25814

This is a simulation of tumor suppressor protein 53 (p53), an important cell cycle regulator and oncoprotein, binding to Sir2. From this project, we hope to learn how mutations in p53 can disrupt binding and potentially cause cancer.

Some details:
Available for Windows and Linux
~53000 atoms
13000 points
14.1 deadline
10.9 timeout

Happy folding!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Registration open for a free webinar: The Next Steps for Folding@home

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/webinar-the-next-steps-for-foldinghome/

Registration open for a free webinar: The Next Steps for Folding@home
February 18, 2014 by Vijay Pande ·
I’ll be presenting a webinar on Folding@home open to the public on Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM PDT. You can register on this link: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/688201986. The goals are to talk about what we’ve been able to do so far and where we’re going.

Summary. Folding@home is a large-scale volunteer distributed computing project, started in October 1, 2000. For over a decade, new types of hardware (such as GPUs, multi-core CPUs, and PS3) and algorithms have been pioneered in order to make significant advances in our ability to simulate diseases at the molecular scale. Join Professor Vijay Pande from Stanford University for a brief introduction to the goals of Folding@home, followed by the successes so far. Prof. Pande will end with a discussion of what’s being done today, as well as the plans for greatly enhancing what Folding@home can do through new initiatives currently under way.

Please note that this webinar starts at 9:00 AM Pacific, 12:00 PM Eastern, and 5:00 PM BST.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.