Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrhyett05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I am looking for some sort of a power strip that can plug multiple high output usb devices into.

I just rearranged my living room and have all my devices at one location for charging... however it takes a full powerstrip to fit 4 charging bricks :mad:

As it is now, I have my MacBook, and iPad 2, a Kindle and both iPhones to charge.. I have been looking for a simple USB power strip (hub) that I can power through an AC outlet and get 2a from multiple ports at the same time... I can't find anything :confused:

The best I can find are some charges that have 4 ports and a total of 2a output, most can dedicate the 2a to a single port, but once you plug a second device, the draw splits.
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adapter-Charger-shuffle-classic/dp/B0052RM8T2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338245&sr=8-10

Or a single charger that has 2 2ax5v ports, but it's rather bulky and only allows 2 ports
http://www.amazon.com/IPAD-2USB-High-Power-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001QVHO38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338331&sr=8-5

Neither is ideal, as the Kindle and iPad both need more than .5 amp, and I'm sure other devices are only going to need more amps in the future.

Is there anything out there that I am missing?

I would love to find a 10 port usb power strip (just like an AC power strip) that offers multiple dedicated 2a ports.... one can dream:rolleyes:

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I am looking for some sort of a power strip that can plug multiple high output usb devices into.

I just rearranged my living room and have all my devices at one location for charging... however it takes a full powerstrip to fit 4 charging bricks :mad:

As it is now, I have my MacBook, and iPad 2, a Kindle and both iPhones to charge.. I have been looking for a simple USB power strip (hub) that I can power through an AC outlet and get 2a from multiple ports at the same time... I can't find anything :confused:

The best I can find are some charges that have 4 ports and a total of 2a output, most can dedicate the 2a to a single port, but once you plug a second device, the draw splits.
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adapter-Charger-shuffle-classic/dp/B0052RM8T2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338245&sr=8-10

Or a single charger that has 2 2ax5v ports, but it's rather bulky and only allows 2 ports
http://www.amazon.com/IPAD-2USB-High-Power-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001QVHO38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338331&sr=8-5

Neither is ideal, as the Kindle and iPad both need more than .5 amp, and I'm sure other devices are only going to need more amps in the future.

Is there anything out there that I am missing?

I would love to find a 10 port usb power strip (just like an AC power strip) that offers multiple dedicated 2a ports.... one can dream:rolleyes:

Is this an option for you?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EOJ7Y...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002EOJ7Y

jrhyett05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the link, those never came up in my searches.

Not really ideal for my current situation, I have everything atop a ~4' tall dresser I converted to an entertainment center, so the reach to the outlets wouldn't work. Also I really need 5+ ports. My goal is to be able to keep my bricks available for travel use, and have a permanent all usb solution for charging. I'll look for other receptacle options though, ideally an ac receptacle with 5 usb ports only would do (i don't need the ac outlets), I could just add an outlet box to my entertainment stand.

edit: Per their website they provide
•2.4A-5V USB 3.0 Power Ports @ 2400 mA (total)

which seems to me it would only provide 1.2a to each iPad if both plugged in at the same time.

But I have saved this to my wish list, as I might put one of these in my bedroom, as it would clear up a lot of clutter behind my bed. :cool:

Last edited:

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Jrhyett05, I've seen the exact product you're looking for! It's called the PowerPad16 and it supplies 2.1A to multiple ports at the same time. This product is made by Datamation Systems, which makes really high quality products at good price points. Here's the link: http://www.ipadcarts.com/solutions/DS-IP-PP16.htm Hope this helps!

I would love one of those. But not for $700. :eek:

Visualedtech

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Northwest, NJ
New 8 USB Power strip in development

I am awaiting delivery of an 8 outlet USB power strip. The manufacturer claims that each USB port will deliver 5V at 2.1A.
The product is undergoing UL review prior to importation into the US.
I expect the pricing to be about $150.00. Once the units pass UL review and I have a final landed cost, they will be available in the US.
John J Caprice

Iamgort

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2011
necro on this thread slightly.....has anybody found a usb power strip/hub that can charge the new ipad along with phones, etc and not get the "not charging" to show up on the new iPad? It is so frustrating dealing with that...

B2FiNiTY

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011
necro on this thread slightly.....has anybody found a usb power strip/hub that can charge the new ipad along with phones, etc and not get the "not charging" to show up on the new iPad? It is so frustrating dealing with that...

see my post above

B2FiNiTY

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011
sorry about that... there are going to be a few more companies selling their products in the next coming months but the only one at the moment in the US is the KANEX SYDNEE

Visualedtech

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Northwest, NJ
8 USB Power Strip Coming Slowly

I have been in contact with an Asian manufacturer. They make an 8 outlet USB powerstrip that provides 2.1A x 5 volt at each USB.
These strips are still being tested by the proper agencies and awaiting approval for import into the US.
Once I receive my samples and they pass my testing, I'll try to get these on the market. They look great, if they work, then I'll bring them in.
John J Caprice

davelondon

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I have been in contact with an Asian manufacturer. They make an 8 outlet USB powerstrip that provides 2.1A x 5 volt at each USB.
These strips are still being tested by the proper agencies and awaiting approval for import into the US.
Once I receive my samples and they pass my testing, I'll try to get these on the market. They look great, if they work, then I'll bring them in.
John J Caprice

Hi! Any update on this? Do you know any of the specs? Dimensions? Weight?

I'm desperate for an 8 x USB charger to charge all my gadgets while I'm travelling...

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm sure you've gotten something by now, but just in case you are interested in this later. We use these at work and they are sweet!

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/satechi-12-port-usb-hub-with-power-adapter-2-control-switches

I really doubt that this would be of use to the OP (and not just because the thread is a year old). They needed charging capability, whereas this unit would be limited by whatever USB port it is plugged into. At best, that whole strip would charge one iPad, but only if it were plugged into an iPad wall charger.

Regards,
Tom

whosnut

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Riverside, CA
I really doubt that this would be of use to the OP (and not just because the thread is a year old). They needed charging capability, whereas this unit would be limited by whatever USB port it is plugged into. At best, that whole strip would charge one iPad, but only if it were plugged into an iPad wall charger.

Regards,
Tom

May not help the OP, but I could use one! Actually, I'm looking for 3.0 and they have a 10-port on their site but it's sold out. I emailed them to see when it would be back in stock.

innocented

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
I will bring this back again :)
I don't need 12 ports, but having even 6 that are fully powered enough to charge the new iPad each would be fantastic!

Any ideas that are at least sub-$100? I have been looking everywhere.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Any ideas that are at least sub-$100? I have been looking everywhere.

I am also looking for the same thing. In my home we have 2 iPhones, 2 Kindles, 2 iPads, and 2 non-smart phones that charge via USB. Our normal charging area has 4 plugs all with USB adapters in them, but I could really use something with 8 USB ports.

Most USB hubs will NOT work because they don't provide power to the USB port until it has been enumerated by a computer. :(

Anyway, if anyone finds something that looks good, please let me know. Since my location for charging is our kitchen counter, thus if it LOOKS nice that would be good as well. :D

For Now, I'm considering the 2 USB port / plug combos. It would give me 4 plugs, 4 USB ports . . . I could use more but that would be better than what I have now.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I finally solved my problem like so:

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

Here's how:

1. Make yourself a woodworking shop. Your basement or garage stall will do in a pinch.
2. Buy lots of tools to fill your shop.
3. Become proficient at woodworking.
4. Bang out this little project.

Regards,
Tom

intextra29

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
I am also looking for the same thing. In my home we have 2 iPhones, 2 Kindles, 2 iPads, and 2 non-smart phones that charge via USB. Our normal charging area has 4 plugs all with USB adapters in them, but I could really use something with 8 USB ports.

Most USB hubs will NOT work because they don't provide power to the USB port until it has been enumerated by a computer. :(

Anyway, if anyone finds something that looks good, please let me know. Since my location for charging is our kitchen counter, thus if it LOOKS nice that would be good as well. :D

For Now, I'm considering the 2 USB port / plug combos. It would give me 4 plugs, 4 USB ports . . . I could use more but that would be better than what I have now.

Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but there is a 6 port solution (brand name is called BlueKi, SKU#BK32308) that outputs 2.1A per port, 8A total shared. I found this site selling them, but can also be found elsewhere http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/POWER-USB-AC-6. It includes a 6 foot power cord so you can place it on your kitchen counter. Not exactly 8 ports like you wanted, but pretty close.

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
While not a power strip, you could also buy one or more Sanctuary4 Charging Stations from BlueLounge. I prefer these to using power bars because they do a much better job of cable management and where it offers a very clean decorative design, can be placed anywhere for easy access (no bending down searching for the right cable). We use one in our living room as a centrally located charging dock for all of our devices, including a Garman GPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.