Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Apple began offering refurbished models of the current 27-inch iMac in its online store for the first time, and while two of the three available models quickly sold out, the company is clearly working to expand availability by adding not only another 27-inch configuration but also a pair of 21.5-inch models today. The newly listed models, all of which ship in 1-5 business days, include:

- 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, and Intel Iris Pro graphics: $1099 ($200 savings)

late_2013_21_imac_refurb.jpg

- 21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M: $1269 ($230 savings)

- 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics: $1699 ($300 savings)

Article Link: Refurbished Late 2013 21.5-Inch iMac Debuts in Apple's Online Store

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
LOL i do like me a good i7 quad, but not everyone needs it :D

To be fair he did not state that. :)

And I like my Quad, too. 2011 tech, but imho it might be a bit older than current models, but I get so many benefits with it. A DVD drive that doesn't have to sit on my desk separately being one of them. I don't fancy clutter.

Glassed Silver:mac

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
To be fair he did not state that. :)

And I like my Quad, too. 2011 tech, but imho it might be a bit older than current models, but I get so many benefits with it. A DVD drive that doesn't have to sit on my desk separately being one of them. I don't fancy clutter.

ditto :)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

Me too. I am in the market for one and when I found out there was no dvd drive, I literally stopped in shock. It's supposed to be an all in one.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Me too. I am in the market for one and when I found out there was no dvd drive, I literally stopped in shock. It's supposed to be an all in one.

Get a 27"er, fully maxed out, slap in an SSD and buy yourself enough RAM.
You won't regret it.

I have a fully specced out (just HDD though... YET) one and I'm damn happy.
This thing is still a beast and the DVD drive is there.

I know Apple thinks that what they did with the floppy drive is true again nowadays, but I for one do need it, so they can have this fancy idea of moving forward all they want, I need the drive and I hate clutter on my desk.

I was so damn lucky I got my new iMac model in the year 2011 and I was positively surprised that even in 2012 and 2013 my model still looks damn nice. (the choice of model I mean)

iTunes movies are too expensive here.
As are TV shows on iTunes.
Also you don't get to "own" them. You just license them with crappy DRM tacked on it.
The movie/tv show industry needs to take a lesson from the music industry, but it seems they haven't suffered enough yet. DRM is on a surge, games are no better.
When I buy games for Windows, granted it's often a Steam sale, but I fancy my PS3 DRM-free ones way more.
I'm a collector, so the physical disc I'll always get, PC Steam versions are good for eventually getting my Youtube gaming channel going etc...

Wow, sorry for the long post.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
but I fancy my PS3 DRM-free ones way more.

What makes you think the PS3 games are DRM-free? Or any physical disk for that matter? Just because it's on a physical disk doesn't mean it's DRM-free.

The last truly DRM-free console was the Dreamcast - where you could literally just burn copies of the game like a music CD. Since then, DRM has been in nearly every console and physical media format.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Get a 27"er, fully maxed out, slap in an SSD and buy yourself enough RAM.
You won't regret it.

I have a fully specced out (just HDD though... YET) one and I'm damn happy.
This thing is still a beast and the DVD drive is there.

I know Apple thinks that what they did with the floppy drive is true again nowadays, but I for one do need it, so they can have this fancy idea of moving forward all they want, I need the drive and I hate clutter on my desk.

I was so damn lucky I got my new iMac model in the year 2011 and I was positively surprised that even in 2012 and 2013 my model still looks damn nice. (the choice of model I mean)

iTunes movies are too expensive here.
As are TV shows on iTunes.
Also you don't get to "own" them. You just license them with crappy DRM tacked on it.
The movie/tv show industry needs to take a lesson from the music industry, but it seems they haven't suffered enough yet. DRM is on a surge, games are no better.
When I buy games for Windows, granted it's often a Steam sale, but I fancy my PS3 DRM-free ones way more.
I'm a collector, so the physical disc I'll always get, PC Steam versions are good for eventually getting my Youtube gaming channel going etc...

Wow, sorry for the long post.

Ok totally unrelated but i must say: LOVE your signature...! :D

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
What makes you think the PS3 games are DRM-free? Or any physical disk for that matter? Just because it's on a physical disk doesn't mean it's DRM-free.

The last truly DRM-free console was the Dreamcast - where you could literally just burn copies of the game like a music CD. Since then, DRM has been in nearly every console and physical media format.

I did not say copyprotection.

Maybe my wording was lackluster, but I mean no need to connect to the internet.
Steam runs in an offline mode, but if you want to reinstall games, will that work?
One patch and that policy changes. My PS3 disc is different, because it's a disc I'll always be able to go to another device and play my media there (not activated with some stupid internet-reliant account, who knows how long these servers stay accessible for that particular device? Steam or PS3 doesn't matter.)

No "activation", no need to be online and rely on things totally out of my control, freedom to bring my disc to any system (I like to have backup consoles and spare parts - any retro gamer better prepare for breakdowns of their systems if just for peace of mind), etc...

But you're right, the last truly free and "unprotected" system was the Dreamcast.
My favorite console by the way. ;)
Oh Sega, how I miss you in the console race... :(

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I did not say copyprotection.

Maybe my wording was lackluster, but I mean no need to connect to the internet.
Steam runs in an offline mode, but if you want to reinstall games, will that work?
One patch and that policy changes. My PS3 disc is different, because it's a disc I'll always be able to go to another device and play my media there (not activated with some stupid internet-reliant account, who knows how long these servers stay accessible for that particular device? Steam or PS3 doesn't matter.)

No "activation", no need to be online and rely on things totally out of my control, freedom to bring my disc to any system (I like to have backup consoles and spare parts - any retro gamer better prepare for breakdowns of their systems if just for peace of mind), etc...

But you're right, the last truly free and "unprotected" system was the Dreamcast.
My favorite console by the way. ;)
Oh Sega, how I miss you in the console race... :(

I see, you're right that PS3 doesn't need any internet activation for the games. However (to play devil's advocate slightly), that doesn't mean Sony can't easily shut off your game; the internet isn't the problem. Sony can issue a patch anytime that turns off features or blocks certain games, and Sony can also make that patch a pre-requisite to playing any future games (this point is mooted by the fact that the PS3 probably doesn't have any future games, but it applies equally to the PS4 or any device for that matter).

Remember what they did to OtherOS on PS3? They can do it to any software, anytime. So you could keep two PS3s around, one pre-patch and one post-patch, to play the respective games. But thats not really efficient; not any more efficient than worrying about steam servers being shut down. Plus, what if they issue 3, 5, 50, n patches. Will you keep n PS3s around for full compatibility? My point is that physical media isn't necessarily more secure or exempt from external control. Personally, I have more faith that Valve won't screw me out of my Half-Life purchase than faith that Sony won't screw me out of using my PS3 the way they promised on the day it was released.

Also, I think the internet helps keep games around forever, it doesn't hurt that. The internet facilitates more freedom to play games than any console ever. I think eventually all good games will become available free online, in some form. Either through abandonware, expired copyright, or fair use. It's already happened to plenty of games (https://archive.org/details/software). Keeping a PS3 around for 20 years is silly; that would be like keeping my Intel 80386 computer around so that I could play King's Quest today. It's easier to just fire up DOSBox on whatever I have.

As an aside, I totally still rock the Dreamcast sometimes... emulated of course ;)

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Quad-core i7 or BUST!

haha, love the enthusiasm! :

Actually according to Anandtech's CPU database the typical Haswell i5 keeps up in single-threaded apps and is only about 20-30% slower in the most heavily optimized multi-threaded apps.

Now if you want to talk about fast chips or bust...
:eek: 8 CPUs x 10 cores x 2 threads each, 240MB cache :eek:

Now THAT is what I want in my iMac AAAAAAND it will double as a microwave :)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I see, you're right that PS3 doesn't need any internet activation for the games. However (to play devil's advocate slightly), that doesn't mean Sony can't easily shut off your game; the internet isn't the problem. Sony can issue a patch anytime that turns off features or blocks certain games, and Sony can also make that patch a pre-requisite to playing any future games (this point is mooted by the fact that the PS3 probably doesn't have any future games, but it applies equally to the PS4 or any device for that matter).

Remember what they did to OtherOS on PS3? They can do it to any software, anytime. So you could keep two PS3s around, one pre-patch and one post-patch, to play the respective games. But thats not really efficient; not any more efficient than worrying about steam servers being shut down. Plus, what if they issue 3, 5, 50, n patches. Will you keep n PS3s around for full compatibility? My point is that physical media isn't necessarily more secure or exempt from external control. Personally, I have more faith that Valve won't screw me out of my Half-Life purchase than faith that Sony won't screw me out of using my PS3 the way they promised on the day it was released.

Also, I think the internet helps keep games around forever, it doesn't hurt that. The internet facilitates more freedom to play games than any console ever. I think eventually all good games will become available free online, in some form. Either through abandonware, expired copyright, or fair use. It's already happened to plenty of games (https://archive.org/details/software). Keeping a PS3 around for 20 years is silly; that would be like keeping my Intel 80386 computer around so that I could play King's Quest today. It's easier to just fire up DOSBox on whatever I have.

As an aside, I totally still rock the Dreamcast sometimes... emulated of course ;)

There is so much I could reply here, but I'm on my iPhone, MR password is in iCloud keychain so not available on my replacement computer for the time my Mac's in repair.

Just one thing: Yes, I do keep my Ps3 around, just like all my other consoles and I will amass backup systems.
Why? Because a) best feeling ensures on original system and b) I like my independence c) I'm a collector
Some other reasons and some more things I'd go into, but I can't be arsed on this small keyboard and this small screen. Especially not at 3:30am hehe :)

Glassed Silver:ios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.