Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
I would never let Go Daddy host my sites. Try asmallorange.com or hostgator.com

I'd avoid hostgator like the plague - just Google for other reviews if you don't believe me. Agreed about Go Daddy web hosting though - also not good.

Your best bet is to find a friend who can host it for you on their hosting package or their VPS/Server. Could also ask on these forums for someone to help out - I host a couple at the moment like this (since they take up such little resources - sorry don't have time to do this at the moment though).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd avoid hostgator like the plague - just Google for other reviews if you don't believe me. Agreed about Go Daddy web hosting though - also not good.

Your best bet is to find a friend who can host it for you on their hosting package or their VPS/Server. Could also ask on these forums for someone to help out - I host a couple at the moment like this (since they take up such little resources - sorry don't have time to do this at the moment though).

Bitchin'. Problem is my rec was made well over a year ago. ;)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I know much of this thread is old, but I never saw a mention about what the purpose of the website was.

Business? Personal blog?

Text only, or graphics-intense?

Simple personal stuff can go on wordpress.com (NOT wordpress.org).

If your running a business site with Wordpress, you obviously won't want the cheapest provider.

Currently, I run 3 websites and they're all hosted at a Wordpress-specific hoster. Way back in the day we started with Network Solutions and that was a cluster. We got hacked (very possibly through NSI) and they a) never admitted it b) didn't do anything to help and c) didn't know how to help in any case.

We moved to someone who only hosts Wordpress installations and the difference is night and day. The site is rocket-fast now, and they pointed me to CloudFlare as another performance and security measure.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Stay away from Network Solutions too.

Horrible performance, terrible support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.