Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple started offering free apps, books, and music via its Apple Store app back in August and today the company has updated the app in the U.S. with a list of holiday songs that can be downloaded for free within the app.
holidayplaylist.jpg
The playlist includes the following songs:

- Ave Maria, Il Volo
- Children Go Where I send Thee, Nick Lowe
- Duck the Halls, The Robertsons
- Joy to the World, Celtic Woman
- Silent Night, Kelly Clarkson
- The Christmas Song, Kool and the Gang
- The First Noel, Mary J. Blige
- What Child is This, Marvin Sapp

Clicking the download link within the Apple Store app will take users to the iTunes Store, automatically inputting a code for the Holiday Playlist download. The songs will be available until December 31, 2013, before being replaced with a new offering.

Though Apple debuted an Apple Store app for the iPad in November, the free songs are limited to the iPhone app. Previous free content offered through the app has included Color Zen, iTunes Festival songs, and Temple Run: Oz.

The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Store iOS App Updated With Free Holiday Playlist

sergio27

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2008
The direct link is for "Temple Run: Oz", not the Apple Store app.

I couldn't find the Apple Store app in the Mexican App Store.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No TSO?

No, thanks. I'll let my fiancé know, though. She tends to have a wider selection of holiday music, but I just don't think anyone else nails the Christmas sound anywhere near as well as TSO does.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Here in Canada we got the app "The Photo Cookbook - Baking" for free. Just in time for entertaining over this holiday season.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Did anyone else think this was a custom Product (RED) Apple TV for Christmas? Had me fooled when I glanced over.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The direct link is for "Temple Run: Oz", not the Apple Store app.

I couldn't find the Apple Store app in the Mexican App Store.

Fixed the link, I'm not sure the songs are available outside of the United States.

----------

Anyone else able to find it in the Apple Store app for iPad? I only saw it in the iPhone app.

It's only in the iPhone app.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
Holiday? I'm pretty sure those songs are specifically for CHRISTMAS.

Well put - Nothing wrong with offering only Christmas Music, and I don't mind when retailers are saying "Holiday Season" when they mean 'all those who celebrate all holidays" but if you have "Christmas" music, then just call it "CHRISTMAS Music".

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Why not call it Christmas play list as it is all Christmas songs. What is this pathological reluctance to use the word Christmas these days.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If it's only available for the iPhone Apple Store app, they should change the ad to iPhone only. Looked for it on the iPad... And it's not available.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Holiday? I'm pretty sure those songs are specifically for CHRISTMAS.

Yes. Truly, there is no more traditional, clearly Christmas song than "Duck the Halls." (That is, by the way, not a typo.)

Of course, that's irrelevant. "Holiday" includes "Christmas."

EDIT: I do not want to make any off-topic replies to future posts, so I'll just edit this one to say that it is quite clear what "holidays" means when said in the November-December timeframe, at least in the United States. That is simply how the word is used, and you should deal with it. (If you insist that this iTunes playlist could be a Flag Day playlist, you are obviously simply being an uncooperative communicator.)

Last edited:

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
With this list, the iTunes free song of the week, and the new free song via the Starbucks app they're giving away a big chunk of the new Mary J Blige Xmas album. Interesting.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
With this list, the iTunes free song of the week, and the new free song via the Starbucks app they're giving away a big chunk of the new Mary J Blige Xmas album. Interesting.

I noticed that yesterday and at first glance thought they were all the same songs downloading.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why not call it Christmas play list as it is all Christmas songs. What is this pathological reluctance to use the word Christmas these days.

That's a dirty word nowadays it seems. Companies are falling over themselves to banish such words, lest someone might be offended. :rolleyes:

If I moved to a predominantly Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist country, or even Israel for that matter, I would not expect people to change their religious vocabulary for me. But that's what we do here, in the name of making everyone feel at home.

Call that 'spineless' or 'progressive'; I'm inclined to go with the former.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
That's a dirty word nowadays it seems. Companies are falling over themselves to banish such words, lest someone might be offended. :rolleyes:

If I moved to a predominantly Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist country, or even Israel for that matter, I would not expect people to change their religious vocabulary for me. But that's what we do here, in the name of making everyone feel at home.

Call that 'spineless' or 'progressive'; I'm inclined to go with the former.

Cause when you move to India or China, you won't find much diversity of people or races. You'd be surprised that non Christians also celebrate christmas with their believer friends and stores have christmas sales as well. Happy holidays makes sense to me and it prevents segregation. Everyone should join in and celebrate regardless of their belief in Jesus.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yes. Truly, there is no more traditional, clearly Christmas song than "Duck the Halls." (That is, by the way, not a typo.)

Of course, that's irrelevant. "Holiday" includes "Christmas."

Holiday includes Thanksgiving, Halloween, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Flag Day, and Valentines Day too. But the playlist only has Christmas songs. So why not just call it a Christmas Playlist? Holiday is broad an misleading.

Oh wait, Christmas is a dirty word. I forgot.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hanukkah ends tomorrow, so I find it absurd to try calling December 6-25 the "Holiday Season" when clearly you're referring to "Christmas".

Kwanza is an artificial holiday that celebrates nothing. It started as a holiday for the non-religious to celebrate in Winter because everyone else was celebrating. "Politically correct" people will try telling you to respect it, because they think it's something sacred like Christmas or Hanukkah. It's not. You offend nobody by pretending it doesn't exist.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
What about the rest of the freaking world? Are Apple too tight-fisted to fork out licensing fees for every locale? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.