Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macupdate_bundle.png
A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate to promote their Mac application bundle deal.

Their latest bundle delivers 10 Mac applications for $39.99 (a $360 value if all purchased separately). Notably, it includes 6-month memberships to Anonymizer, a VPN service, and BackBlaze, an online backup provider.

The full bundle includes (retail value in parenthesis):

- Anonymizer (6-months) ($49.99) - A VPN service for ensuring anonymity online. Unlimited bandwidth for Mac and iOS.
- BackBlaze (6-months) ($30.00) - Cloud backup solution for Mac users. Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage.
- ExpanDrive 3 ($39.95) - Connect to and work with FTP, SFTP, Google Drive, and Dropbox as if they were local volumes.
- Paragon 2-in-1 Bundle ($29.95) - Connect NTFS-formatted Windows drives to your Mac & HFS-formatted Mac drives to Windows PCs.
- iStopMotion 3 ($49.99) - Stop-motion animation tool for Mac, suitable for amateurs or professionals.
- Labels & Addresses ($49.99) - Powerful label printing tool.
- Mail Designer ($34.99) - Create beautiful email stationery templates.
- MailHub ($19.00) - Powerful Mail.app enhancer.
- Cocktail 7 ($19.00) - General purpose maintenance and optimization utility for OS X.
- Washing Machine ($29.99) - The perfect compliment to Cocktail; includes additional optimization and cleaning features for your Mac.

The first 5,000 buyers also receive these two apps:

- Flame Painter 2 ($29.99) - Innovative and unique painting app.
- IconBox 2 ($14.99) - Search, download, and organize icons, then use them to customize your Mac's appearance.

Buyers are also able to upgrade to family licenses of both Cocktail and Washing Machine at checkout.

All apps together are being sold for $39.99 until December 17. MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: MacUpdate Winter Bundle: 10 Apps for $39.99, Including 6-Month BackBlaze and Anonymizer Subscriptions

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Commenting on this 'cause I doubt anyone else will...

It's simply amazing how they can bundle so many pointless apps together. My hat is off to them.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Commenting on this 'cause I doubt anyone else will...

It's simply amazing how they can bundle so many pointless apps together. My hat is off to them.

I have to agree with you.
Out of all those only Paragon NTFS is actually useful. The rest is just... the rest.

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I've never come across a bundle that was worth buying. I don't care if the software is "worth" $5,000, if it's junk I'm not buying it.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I have to agree with you.
Out of all those only Paragon NTFS is actually useful. The rest is just... the rest.

And if you buy it alone, you can save $10 or more* versus the MacUpdate Bundle price!
*$10.04

zOlid

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
The first 5000 buyers get 2 more useless apps.
Better act fast guys!

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
hahahaha! Mac Update didn't realized that every company give to them junk just to cooperate with them… as in "well… I'm not interested but here you go a pair of this obsolete un-useful apps I have in this shoebox… here… have fun!"

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
This bundle is about as "meh" as they get. For one, have no use for either of the subscriptions (Already have Crashplan, happy with it. Already have VPN on my own router that secures my mobile connections, and don't need to "pop out" onto the net anywhere but from my home), and presume both already offer free trials.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
BackBlaze is the only app/service that I recognize in this bundle (and I think I am fairly well versed in Mac apps). And considering that the bundle is including only $30 worth of BackBlaze service, this is a horrible bundle for all but those that don't mind using 3rd rate apps.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The quality of bundles are going down. This has to be the worst MacUpdate bundle to date.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
And if you buy it alone, you can save $10 or more* versus the MacUpdate Bundle price!
*$10.04

Actually, the Paragon 2-in-1 is normally $39.95, but it's temporarily discounted--or at least that's the impression I get from visiting their store directly. Thus, the price would be about the same in the end once that goes back to normal.

But I agree that at first glance, that appears to be the only piece of software here I could actually see myself using. I'll look for reviews of it later, but does anybody have any comments about the stability, reliability, etc. of the Mac NTFS or Windows HFS+ drivers?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can buy MailHub $19 standalone. I already have iStopMotion 3. Cocktail 7 is also $19 by itself.

Yeah, this is a pretty bland bundle. Not as bad as the StackSocial ones, but still pretty bad. You can get better software for the same cost.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
There's some great software in this bundle, so I don't get the negativity. It's well worth the $39.99 and you're helping to support one of the most important sites on the internet for those of us who love Apple.

Cocktail is awesome. Highly recommended by a number of trusted podcasters from the Apple scene.

BackBlaze is a really good option for offsite backups.

ExpanDrive 3 is an absolutely essential utility and MailHub is nice to have too.

The only thing useless is Paragon because nobody wants NTFS anymore. Windows is dead to the world basically.

Overall this is a tremendous savings and easily worth the money.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I have Cocktail for Mavericks... and these guys can't even update their app to include retina UI. I mean it's only been a year and a half... what a bunch of junk for $40.00 though.

----------

I only bought one of these bundle packages before. And the app I wanted, I can't even remember it's been so long, the app I wanted with the bundle got a major upgrade like 3 weeks later, and I ended up paying for that upgrade. I'd have been better of just buying that one app as that's the only one I really wanted.

Watch out, because major updates are soon to follow, and you will not get them, you will be locked into upgrade pricing from then on.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If you don’t have an offsite backup solution (and you _should_), Backblaze is outstanding.

With this bundle, you get all the other apps for $9 ($30 for BB at the $5/pay-per-month price). Figured there’s at least one other decent app worth $9, and a few others worth “free” :)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I agree with those that this bundle is rather bland. The only useful thing I see here is paragon ntfs and I already have a license. Passing on this one.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why can't they throw something useful like Final Cut X or Compressor into that bundle?

I wonder when/if those will go free... AFAIK, Apple's Pro Suite is the only software Apple still makes and charges for.

I also wonder if Apple will ever make a good 2D art app...

jimac

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2005
Mail Designer is very useful!

I've been using "Mail Designer" for years, and it still runs on my Snow Leopard MacBook Air. I've very easily made beautiful email birthday cards and newsletters with it, the latter approximating the printed newsletters I do for a club I belong to. And the best feature (which Equinux doesn't seem to push) is that the emails don't require whoever gets them to "load" any images! The graphics are in-line ("base64" for other old-timers out there) within the message, just like the good old days decades ago, but they look much more beautiful now using Mail Designer.

I also use several of BeLight's programs, which are all very good, to make my newsletters so I expect that their "Labels & Addresses" program will also be very useful for mailing to our club members.

So at least two of the programs in this bundle make it worth the price, and they both still run on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard! (Someone wrote in the Mac App Store that Mail Designer hasn't been updated for their OS X 10.9 Mavericks computer yet -- Equinux's new and much-more-expensive Pro version runs on 10.9, though.) Some of the other apps in this bundle might be useful for me, too, I'll play around with them.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Man, I was all over Backblaze when I saw that it was just $5 a month for unlimited data/bandwidth but then I noticed that it's JUST a backup solution and not an offsite cloud. I seriously need to store about 100 to 200Gig (in the next year or so) of data and $5 was the sweet impulse buy price but sadly this isn't the solution for me...

(Though I might still jump on it for whole system backup at some point)

Other then that, ya, not a "must have" collection of apps. More like "if you were thinking about buying any of these, might as well"

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
There's some great software in this bundle, so I don't get the negativity. It's well worth the $39.99 and you're helping to support one of the most important sites on the internet for those of us who love Apple.

I see your point, but the apps coming out of MacUpdate and MU Promo have been mediocre for a while now. I unsubscribed to the daily MUPromo email months ago - it reminded me of those floppy disks on the front of 90's Amiga mags, full of "superlative utilities".

The only thing useless is Paragon because nobody wants NTFS anymore. Windows is dead to the world basically.

Hah, nice one! Wait... You are kidding, right?

Overall this is a tremendous savings and easily worth the money.

Yep, it is a tremendous saving - if the apps are worth buying. I can't see one thing there which would justify the cost to me.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Unlike most bundles where you get one or two good apps and a lot of junk this bundle has junk only. :D

But hey it may fit your needs. So hurry up to be one of the first 5000 buyers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.