Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just a few weeks left in 2013, Apple's stock has finally rebounded to set a new 52-week high of $575.14 earlier today, although it has since pulled back by a few dollars. Apple's stock price peaked at just over $700 back in September 2012 before beginning a slide that took the price to under $400 by mid-April of this year.

aapl_5dec13.jpg
Apple's march back to yearly highs began in late June and has been a fairly steady climb since that time, although the last two weeks have been particularly good for the company's stock with a roughly 10% increase over that time as investors have been buoyed by new product releases and optimism surrounding Apple's Black Friday weekend sales.

The company's stock price has undoubtedly also been boosted by a stock buyback program that has seen Apple take roughly 5% of its shares off of the market since late 2012. Some argue that Apple should be doing even more to repurchase its stock, believing it to remain undervalued and thus a cheap investment for the company. Just yesterday, activist investor Carl Icahn, who holds roughly $2.5 billion in Apple stock, announced that he has filed paperwork requesting that shareholders be included in an advisory vote encouraging the company to increase its buyback plan by an additional $50 billion.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Hits New 52-Week High as Roller Coaster 2013 Nears Its End

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I guess I was wrong.. I sold mine and still made a pretty good profit a while back. Technology is such a roller coaster ride of emotions when following their stocks

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Great news!! i'm sure Tim can't have straight face when he sees this.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
What on earth are they thinking? Everyone knows Apple is doomed! Except these deluded investors, apparently.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Too bad it's gonna go right back down. People need to cool it about Apple, they're doing more work than they've ever done. Let's stop idealizing the past ten years, and let's give the current people at the company a chance to make their mark.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Steve would've never allowed this to happen.
Apple is doomed.
Tim is destroying the company.

:rolleyes:

Ha, just the other day when AAPL was up $15 or so, CNBC had a roundtable discussion on Apple's 'lack of innovation'.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I assume Tim Cook will get all the credit in the financial press for this stock recovery, just like he got all the blame when it dropped. Right?

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
dump it, it does this every holiday cycle, peaking around new years then takes a slow 15% hit until another 5% drop when they announce whatever new product in Feb/Mar :p

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Still nothing compared to the craziness associated with the value of Bitcoins. ;)

Can you actually buy anything with bitcoins yet? Something worth having that is?

I don't see this taking off until more things are sold with bitcoin and employers pay their employees with a percentage of bitcoin.

Unless it can convert to USD fast, this bitcoin thing will flop in a year.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I assume Tim Cook will get all the credit in the financial press for this stock recovery, just like he got all the blame when it dropped. Right?

No, when it climbed after Jobs left, that was just momentum.
When it dropped, that was Tim Cook's fault.
Now it's climbing again, that's just undeserved luck.

Seriously, nobody could seriously claim that Apple, properly valued, was worth $700 a share a while ago, then was worth less than $400, and now is worth over $550. Anyone can argue that for various reasons one of these valuations was correct, and we can all happily disagree which one, but it is obvious that at least two of these three valuations are totally irrational. So the whole up and down is just the usual craziness of the stock market.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Does anyone know if there's any way to buy Apple stock using Bitcoins? (I can't use cash due to tax problems).

LoggerMN

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Losing mobile market influence

What concerns me most about Apple's future is they are losing market influence. The 80% Android number does matter for this reason.

Say a brick and mortar store decides to adopt some kind of smartphone payment system. Are they going to choose Google Wallet or Apple Passbook?

Wallet works on Android and iOS, Passbook only works on iOS. Passbook's market penetration peaks at ~16%, whereas Wallet's penetration can reach ~95%. This type of influence allows Google to shape the mobile market, in the same way Microsoft shaped the PC market.

If I'm a shop owner, I can serve both Android and iOS users by adopting Wallet, so why bother with the expense of also supporting Passbook? This will _eventually_ cause developers to not bother with iOS, and then iOS will become MacOS of the mid 90's.

Apple will need to either start to tightly integrate Google services into iOS, or they will need to open their services so they can be ran on Android. And that later approach would be extraordinarily tough, because they'd be fighting Google on Google's own turf.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Seriously, nobody could seriously claim that Apple, properly valued, was worth $700 a share a while ago, then was worth less than $400, and now is worth over $550. Anyone can argue that for various reasons one of these valuations was correct, and we can all happily disagree which one, but it is obvious that at least two of these three valuations are totally irrational. So the whole up and down is just the usual craziness of the stock market.

So... nobody has learned from 2008 then. I'm glad I do not trust my money to gambling addicts.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I think the title is misleading. I think all stocks are roller coasters that never ends. Some are just flatter than others. Since Apple is such a visible company, its stocks are going to be a whole lot volatile than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.