Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Hi all,

I bought my new iPhone 4S from the Apple store yesterday [my previous one is being sent back and rather than get a 'brown box' replacement, I bought a new one in a sealed retail box over the counter].

I just set it up today and flicking through the menus/settings I spotted something.

Settings > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data > *I have one entry here!!*

It is titled "ResetCounter-2011-11-0..."

Incident Identifier: {long alpha numeric}
CrashReporter Key: {long alpha numeric}
Looking at the details:
Date : 2011-11-01 11:13:19 -700
Reset Count: 1
Boot failure count: 0
Boot faults: 0
Boot stage: 255
Boot app: 0

So, it was bought on 15th November 2011. But the date of the "reset counter" entry is 2011-11-01 :eek:

Can anyone explain what the hell this may be? :confused:

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I have 32 ... lot of Safari crashes.

Yes... but I spotted mine within 10min of turning the device on for the very first time.

It also has a time stamp of 14 days ago. I bought it 1 day ago, brand new.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
sounds like it took 14 days to get from factory floor to your hands. Not too bad.

That's to suggest all new phones have this entry in the Diagnostic & Usage Data area?

I'm pretty sure my first one didn't have any entries in there at all. Can you check/confirm either way?

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I think that means you hard reset it

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Subbed

You don't have to write to subscribe, go into thread tools, then click subscribe to this thread.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
As per my post a few mins ago, it has a time stamp of 14 days ago. I bought it 1 day ago, brand new.
How could I have hard reset it?

Guess I shouldn't reply before I read the whole thread.

Apple could have done that, but that is odd.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
It's a strange entry that makes no sense.

Mine says reset counter: 1

I reset the phone a few hours ago and that's the 1. But I reset my phone every week or so. No idea what this counter means unless it went back to zero after my software update.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Guess I shouldn't reply before I read the whole thread.

Apple could have done that, but that is odd.

And that is my worry. Could it have been a returned unit from someone else?

But I don't see how, as it was a sealed retail box. "Refurbed" ones are supplied in a brown box.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
My thought is this...

After loading the software I guess that they test it, and sure, if it has the same software that we do... Obviously it could crash... But I think they reset the diagnostics before they ship it out. I think you have a brand new phone that was sealed up like 15 days ago before it was shipped stateside, and I think they reset the diagnostic counter on each and every phone. Only way to test is to return your phone, get a new one and check that setting again... Or see if someone else who's getting a new iPhone can check for us!

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
After loading the software I guess that they test it, and sure, if it has the same software that we do... Obviously it could crash... But I think they reset the diagnostics before they ship it out. I think you have a brand new phone that was sealed up like 15 days ago before it was shipped stateside, and I think they reset the diagnostic counter on each and every phone. Only way to test is to return your phone, get a new one and check that setting again... Or see if someone else who's getting a new iPhone can check for us!

This is my second iPhone 4S and I'm pretty sure the first one didn't have this. I have checked my partner's new 4S and that doesn't have it either...

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Well...

This is my second iPhone 4S and I'm pretty sure the first one didn't have this. I have checked my partner's new 4S and that doesn't have it either...

Well perhaps they only reset the counter if it picks up an error. So maybe her phone never had an error but yours did. I think they only reset the counter if it gets an error.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Well perhaps they only reset the counter if it picks up an error. So maybe her phone never had an error but yours did. I think they only reset the counter if it gets an error.

Yes.. maybe!!

I just want to be sure I didn't get a second hand / refurb unit having paid full price! Everything else is as expected [i.e. great], this was the only thing I wasn't sure about.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Hmm...

Yes.. maybe!!

I just want to be sure I didn't get a second hand / refurb unit having paid full price! Everything else is as expected [i.e. great], this was the only thing I wasn't sure about.

Perhaps you should contact Apple and they can hopefully tell you what it means.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Perhaps you should contact Apple and they can hopefully tell you what it means.

Judging from past experience of their technical support, they either tell you what you want to hear or simply say its not anything to worry about.

Deonte1996

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
Turn your photo stream off You may not think it works but it did for mines the IPhone 4 I'm not sure for the 4s but for the 4s you may have to turn off your iCloud and May need a battery replacement. If u just bought the phone I recomend iCloud turned off, if this doesn't work please reply back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.