Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After less than three months on the market, iOS 7 is installed on some 74 percent of devices connecting to the App Store, according to a chart posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

The company puts iOS 6 adoption at 22 percent, and older OS versions at just 4 percent. The data from Apple is likely the most accurate adoption data we will see and is the most relevant for developers as its taken directly from the App Store.

iospercentage.png
Chitika reported numbers nearly identical to Apple's earlier this week, showing 74.1 percent of devices using iOS 7. For its part, Mixpanel's OS adoption data, which records information from apps that use its analytics SDK, measured iOS 7 adoption at 78 percent as of December 1, with iOS 6 usage at just under 19 percent.

For comparison, as noted by TechCrunch, the latest version of Android -- KitKat -- only reports a 1.1 percent adoption rate.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Suggest iOS 7 Adoption at 74%

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
OS developers would give half their kingdom for these kinds of numbers.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
The remainder are likely dyslexic.

Think I'm being funny? A friend of mine just updated to iOS 7 after having some doubts on wether it'd be too hard to deal with, what with her dyslexia being really bad.

She just called me, from a landline, in tears because she can barely use her phone and wanted to know if she could go back to iOS 6. I've just added her to my Dev Portal and gave her instructions for how to update to 7.1 to see if the extra settings present in the Beta will help but from what she has told me it's not looking hopeful.

I like iOS 7 but they've really dropped the disability ball, she's not the only one either, I googled the issue and a lot of people are having trouble.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
So much for the "I'm never upgrading to iOS 6, I know loads of people who are doing the same" crowd. Perhaps the "loads of people" are actually just fellow naysayers on MR?! :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So much for the "I'm never upgrading to iOS 6, I know loads of people who are doing the same" crowd. Perhaps the "loads of people" are actually just fellow naysayers on MR?! :rolleyes:
22% on iOS 6 can in fact represent a load of people. It might certainly be a smaller number (by a factor of 3) than that representing people on iOS 7, but it doesn't mean the number itself is a small one.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
22% on iOS 6 can in fact represent a load of people. It might certainly be a smaller number (by a factor of 3) than that representing people on iOS 7, but it doesn't mean the number itself is a small one.

But don't forget there are plenty of iPad 1 and 3GS users still using their devices and unable to upgrade to iOS 7. That chunk likely contains a fair few people unable to upgrade. iOS 7 adoption is faster than iOS 6 and 5 adoption was, according to http://www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c-Usage-Tracker

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

There are many other versions besides iOS 7 and iOS 6, 22 percent out of that is a lot.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
all i can think of when i read these stories is "how many iDevices went in the landfill so people can get the new hot stuff?"

nobody ever counts forced obsolescence when factoring how "green" companies are.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
There are 5 other versions besides iOS 7 and iOS 6, 22 percent out of that is a lot.

I don't follow. The fellow was saying that people said they'd never upgrade to iOS 6, which leaves them at those 5 other versions. But according to the graph those 5 other versions make up 4%. And 4 percent is hardly "loads of people".

----------

all i can think of when i read these stories is "how many iDevices went in the landfill so people can get the new hot stuff?"

nobody ever counts forced obsolescence when factoring how "green" companies are.

What are you babbling on about? Car companies put out a new model every year as well. If someone sends their 2012 model to the dump in order to buy a 2013 that's just stupid, and not the responsibility of the car manufacturer. That's the responsibility of the consumer.

And your use of "forced" is weird too. What is forced?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This actually makes me sad. I'm a lover of technology that prefers iOS, but I feel bad for how poorly android gets adopted.

The user may not have a choice - not all Android handsets are upgradable.

Comparing adaption rate for latest Android vs iOS isn't accurate. All iPhones 4+ can be upgraded, while not all Android phones are upgradable - and those far out number of the iPhones that cannot.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
The user may not have a choice - not all Android handsets are upgradable.

Comparing adaption rate for latest Android vs iOS isn't accurate. All iPhones 4+ can be upgraded, while not all Android phones are upgradable - and those far out number of the iPhones that cannot.

I don't care whose fault it is, it's still sad.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
...just called me, from a landline, in tears because she can barely use her phone and wanted to know if she could go back to iOS 6...

Indeed. Since there's no way to go back to iOS 6 after you've gone to iOS 7, I'd be very curious to see how many people have it, and also hate it and wish they could downgrade. So far I know of no one not on Macrumors who likes it. If you google iOS 7, the fourth most commonly searched word that follows it is the word "Sucks".

After upgrading to 7, I was glad to break my display and get a replacement iPad that still came with iOS 6. I'll check back in at iOS 8, but if they don't sort their visual disaster out, I'm ditching iOS completely.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't follow. The fellow was saying that people said they'd never upgrade to iOS 6, which leaves them at those 5 other versions. But according to the graph those 5 other versions make up 4%. And 4 percent is hardly "loads of people".

----------

What are you babbling on about? Car companies put out a new model every year as well. If someone sends their 2012 model to the dump in order to buy a 2013 that's just stupid, and not the responsibility of the car manufacturer. That's the responsibility of the consumer.

And your use of "forced" is weird too. What is forced?

I got confused by C DM's post I'm not sure if they meant iOS 6 or iOS 7.

kenwk

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
The remainder are likely dyslexic.

Think I'm being funny? A friend of mine just updated to iOS 7 after having some doubts on wether it'd be too hard to deal with, what with her dyslexia being really bad.

She just called me, from a landline, in tears because she can barely use her phone and wanted to know if she could go back to iOS 6. I've just added her to my Dev Portal and gave her instructions for how to update to 7.1 to see if the extra settings present in the Beta will help but from what she has told me it's not looking hopeful.

I like iOS 7 but they've really dropped the disability ball, she's not the only one either, I googled the issue and a lot of people are having trouble.

Maybe you can try to downgrade via this , good luck

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3469837

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
76% adoption at this time of year exceeds ios 6 and ios 5. iOS 7 has indeed been a big hit with users, Apple's most popular release of all time. A couple loudmouth whiners would love to paint a different picture of course.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
This actually makes me sad. I'm a lover of technology that prefers iOS, but I feel bad for how poorly android gets adopted.

I tend to agree, but the biggest problem is with the OEM suppliers. My iPad and iPhone all have iOS7. My Samsung Galaxy lags behind at 4.22, waiting on Samsung and also my Telco provider to release the firmware. Even my Windows Phone is up to date.

I would rate latest firmware migration as such, Apple, Windows Phone, and Android being last.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Indeed. Since there's no way to go back to iOS 6 after you've gone to iOS 7, I'd be very curious to see how many people have it, and also hate it and wish they could downgrade. So far I know of no one not on Macrumors who likes it. If you google iOS 7, the fourth most commonly searched word that follows it is the word "Sucks".

After upgrading to 7, I was glad to break my display and get a replacement iPad that still came with iOS 6. I'll check back in at iOS 8, but if they don't sort their visual disaster out, I'm ditching iOS completely.
Outside of MacRumors and other message boards, I haven't met anyone who regrets the upgrade. The internet allows people to distort their perceptions by meeting and associating with like-minded people, however rare they may be. iOS 7 haters are a tiny minority and iOS 7 has driven iphone production to an unprecedented rate north of 50 million units a quarter.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

On the other hand, the number of people that I know that don't like iOS 7 is very minimal (maybe 1 or 2, but it has grown on them). I am in high school though, so maybe younger people are more able to adapt to change? I'd like to see a graph of approval by age group.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

Really doesn't bother me iOS7 in the slightest, just got used to it and now when I look at an iOS6 device it kinda looks antiquated. Besides it wasn't a choice for me seeing as my 5C came with it and prior to that it'd been about 6 months since I'd last used iOS6 so I kinda forgot what it was like.

Do feel sorry for the people like my friend who just simply cannot physically use it.

As far as I'm aware it's unlikely she has her blobs backed up so there'll be no going back for her.

Skittles.

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
Canada
Confused...

Hi! Does this mean all iOS devices period? Or all iOS devices that are compatible with iOS 7? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.