Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cherrysftw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Im buying my first mac tommorow, and the only game I plan on playing is counterstrike 1.6. I have been playing this game for 6 years on a windows based laptop so look forward to playing it on the mac, as it has been recently ported onto Mac OS. The macbook I intend on buying is the haswell rMBP, with 8GB ram 256SSD 2.4ghz iris graphics etc (the mid spec one).

Has anyone played this on their mac laptops, does it run smoothly? The only video of gameplay I found stated that there was an issue with OSX mouse acceleration (not sure whats meant by this).

The website states these as requirements:

Minimum: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, 4GB Hard Drive Space,NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, ATI X1600 or higher, or Intel HD 3000 or higher Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

wot do

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
CS 1.6 can run on a toaster oven; you'll be fine there.

The mouse acceleration issue is a different matter. OS X handles this differently than Windows does, and it will feel quite unnatural. The easiest way to work around it is to install a program called SteerMouse. It works with pretty much any USB mouse, and you can fine-tune the acceleration curve to get it extremely close to where it is in Windows. The downside is that SteerMouse costs $20 for a license, but it is permanent, so you'd get all subsequent upgrades for free.

Cherrysftw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013

The mouse acceleration issue is a different matter. OS X handles this differently than Windows does, and it will feel quite unnatural. The easiest way to work around it is to install a program called SteerMouse. It works with pretty much any USB mouse, and you can fine-tune the acceleration curve to get it extremely close to where it is in Windows. The downside is that SteerMouse costs $20 for a license, but it is permanent, so you'd get all subsequent upgrades for free.
oh damn, im gonna be broke as a joke after this laptop purchase that I won't have money for this software. So all in all, counterstrike wont run similarly to windows on mac os? Is this something that will be permanent with the laptop I plan on buying or will it be fixed through an update in the near future?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
oh damn, im gonna be broke as a joke after this laptop purchase that I won't have money for this software. So all in all, counterstrike wont run similarly to windows on mac os? Is this something that will be permanent with the laptop I plan on buying or will it be fixed through an update in the near future?

While games run slower in OS X than they do in Windows, for a game as old as the one you want, the difference is not going to matter.

What mouse do you use?

Cherrysftw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
While games run slower in OS X than they do in Windows, for a game as old as the one you want, the difference is not going to matter.

What mouse do you use?

It's some gaming mouse , http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CPGHAA.

Worked great on windows, god knows how mac will prevail.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

No need to pay for SteerMouse - SmoothMouse does the same thing for free.

http://www.smoothmouse.com

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Yep, you want Steermouse. There are others like USB Overdrive but Steermouse is the most updated most often. I'm using a Logitech G500s. You will want to change the cursor settings in Steermouse.
My settings are shown below. Some people say you should put tracking speed at zero to remove all mouse acceleration but this is what works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.