Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has removed all product placements on its homepage tonight and has instead replaced them with an image of Nelson Mandela, honoring the late South African president's life a day after he passed at the age of 95.

applemandela.png
Apple executives had previously commented on Mandela's death on Twitter, with SVP Phil Schiller tweeting a quote from Mandela. CEO Tim Cook also tweeted a quote, but offered thoughts on the passing of Mandela as well:
Amazing human being. Champion of freedom and human dignity. He set an example for all of the world. RIP Nelson Mandela. We miss you already.
This is one of the few times Apple has honored someone's life on its homepage, with the others being people such as Rosa Parks, board member Jerry York and Steve Jobs.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Remembers Nelson Mandela on Its Homepage

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Great guy, big proponent of freedom and liberty. Of course if you didn't agree with him he could always send his wife to murder you by tying a burning tire around your neck. And of course once he got power and she became a liability he dumped her. Other than that though, Mandela was a wonderful person.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
The World thanks him!

Mr. Mandela left behind a legend.

He, similar to Pope John Paul II, promoted peace and were able to bring South Africa out of a violent system, just like the Pope brought Poland out of communism.... peacefully.

I have nothing but great respect for Mr. President.

Rest In Peace!!!

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
This perfectly shows that Apple as a company is still, as much as ever, honoring the crazy ones.

I love this.

Last edited:

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Of course if you didn't agree with him he could always send his wife to murder you by tying a burning tire around your neck. And of course once he got power and she became a liability he dumped her.

Oh c'mon, Mandela would never do that since he cleaned up his act. If you did disagree with his policies he would do nothing more than shake your hand and secretly order a 7-year tax audit on your non-profit organization, like he did with Dr. Peter Hammond.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Mr. Mandela left behind a legend.

He, similar to Pope John Paul II, promoted peace and were able to bring South Africa out of a violent system, just like the Pope brought Poland out of communism.... peacefully.

I have nothing but great respect for Mr. President.

Rest In Peace!!!
Incorrect. Mandela said that there is "no alternative to armed and violent resistance" and helped organize the ANC into a cell structure to facilitate persistent violence. Over the years, the ANC was involved in the deaths of thousands. This went on for thirty years, during which time Mandela somehow convinced a bunch of people he was a man of peace.

Now a person could well come to the conclusion that violence was justified against apartheid (or communism for that matter). However, the point remains that Mandela was a man of violence, nothing like JP2.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I see all of the acts of terrorism that Mandella engaged in that landed him in jail have been forgotten or just brushed aside.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Oh c'mon, Mandela would never do that since he cleaned up his act. If you did disagree with his policies he would do nothing more than shake your hand and secretly order a 7-year tax audit on your non-profit organization, like he did with Dr. Peter Hammond.
I stand corrected.

Azazello007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
one great man!

one small correction (of usage): he died.

We don't pass, folks: we all die.

Have the courage to name things by their names to honor Mandela who was ready to die for what he believed in: "I am prepared to die."

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I see all of the acts of terrorism that Mandella engaged in that landed him in jail have been forgotten or just brushed aside.

I know right? Fighting against the white minority, who cracked down on the black majority for wanting things like protection under the law, voting and property ownership. How dare he.

Yes, he committed acts of terrorism, so did the American colonists.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Mandela never broke out of Jail. Apple never wants you to jail break your iPhone. I get the subtle hint, Apple.

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
I know right? Fighting against the white minority, who cracked down on the black majority for wanting things like protection under the law, voting and property ownership. How dare he.

Yes, he committed acts of terrorism, so did the American colonists.

Hold up. You didn't REALLY just try to justify terrorism, did you?

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004

Since when was the apartheid regime not considered a terrorist regime. It sure acted like one. Oh that's right white terrorism is less evil then terrorism committed by people of a darker skin tone. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.