Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007

Attachments

• Google Motorola meatbag spying device.gif
    Google Motorola meatbag spying device.gif
    79.6 KB · Views: 797

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
How many hipsters do you see using Google Glass? I would think this is for the Google Glass crowd where they'll gladly give their privacy away to make Google richer.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
You have to be incredibly stupid to put something like this on or in your body. But when Apple comes out with the "iChip" for your brain I'm sure enough infantile people will stand in line to get one. Hey I'm soo cool I just need to tilt my head to transfer all my thoughts to facebook! :rolleyes:

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
You have to be incredibly stupid to put something like this on or in your body. But when Apple comes out with the "iChip" for your brain I'm sure enough infantile people will stand in line to get one. Hey I'm soo cool I just need to tilt my head to transfer all my thoughts to facebook! :rolleyes:

You know, The Phone Company tried something like this some years back, but of course, they didn't go about it in the Appple cool way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUa3np4CKC4

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Really its only a matter of time before humans are chipped at birth and implants will become a part of our lives in every aspect from comms and entertainment to our ability to excel and enable appropriate social control.

audiotooth.jpg

Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
But do you want an advertising agency to be in charge of that?

Do you want anyone to in charge of that? If you think anyone's idea of appropriate social control might be drastically different than your own it's a fairly horrible prediction.

Do you agree that "chipping" is inevitable? To me it's kind of scary that the term can be casually applied to humans and it's not thought to be weird.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
But do you want an advertising agency to be in charge of that?

Rather them than an authority with the power to abuse it. But neither is ideal. Its kind of scary to think that privacy will one day be a myth amongst people.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... Do you agree that "chipping" is inevitable? To me it's kind of scary that the term can be casually applied to humans and it's not thought to be weird.

Technology has always been a double-edged sword. But the future doesn't have to be dystopian...

Embedded "chips" could someday help blind people see and deaf people hear, provide amputees with an interface to mechanic limbs, help minimize the effects of certain conditions such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and severe depression, and in-general make longer and more productive lives possible.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Technology has always been a double-edged sword. But the future doesn't have to be dystopian...

Embedded "chips" could someday help blind people see and deaf people hear, provide amputees with an interface to mechanic limbs, help minimize the effects of certain conditions such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and severe depression, and in-general make longer and more productive lives possible.

Agree. "There's always a tradeoff", as society itself is. The problem is that we have not addressed the real nature of the tradeoff in any kind of philosophically nuanced way, if even at all. Instead the doable is hastily done, for the sake of novelty, fame, power, money. "If I/we don't, someone else will. I/we can worry about the implications later but in the meanwhile, let's not get behind the curve." And so ensues a great tragedy of the commons, or so we might think if we can convince ourselves to be cockeyed optimists. We believe we are getting the better side of a dicey and exciting bargain, but so did the Indigenous Americans who sold Manhattan for a box of fused silicon beads.

----------

Rather them than an authority with the power to abuse it. But neither is ideal. Its kind of scary to think that privacy will one day be a myth amongst people.

Privacy is a myth. Scott McNeally had it pegged 14 years ago when he told us that consumer privacy is dead. His advice to get over this fact was, IMO, unhelpful. And those were the good old days.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I never placed much stock in polys or CVSA results particularly for employment purposes. They're only an investigative tool.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Really its only a matter of time before humans are chipped at birth and implants will become a part of our lives in every aspect from comms and entertainment to our ability to excel and enable appropriate social control.

Anybody who believes that there will be in this generation a solution to the problem of a viable brain-computer interface for routine use in humans is deluding themselves. Devices that stay attached to our bodies perhaps, but the kind of implants one sees in sci-fi that links brains to computers: not likely. The problem is that once one introduces any kind of probe into neural tissue the glial cells encase it with scar tissue, electrically isolating the implant from the probe. We're getting closer to being able to do this long-term, but it won't happen in my lifetime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.