Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Hi everybody,i was watching news channels airplayed from my iphone to apple tv 3 and whenever i exit out of the app (Filmon), the airplay stops of course....so i was wondering if there is any method or tweak/trick to send video airplay signal to apple tv without having the app open or when the app is airplaying in the background without having it with that screen that says "video is playing in apple tv"

could somebody advise me on how this could be possible if it exist.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm pretty sure some apps have this capability. As for a tweak I can't be much help, but I'll look around and let you know if I find anything.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
talk to the app developers, they can enable this from their end (if they want to)

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for you replies, actually, I never saw before an app that can AirPlay while being in the background. I believe that the only one we have is the music app that AirPlay music even in background.
I know that apple tv airplay mechanism works by receiving a signal in a form of URL or the like, so why not this can get locked into air-playing even closing the app.
I'm not sure how that really works, I just having the big image.
Please let me know what u think because I think it's an interesting feature to have and it make everybody iPhone and ipad useful while air playing in background, and maybe less battery consumption!

Waterskiman239

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
About apirplay shutting off while trying to use another app like safari

Im stilltrying to find how to make airplay keep streaming on my default video players ? Is there a tweak i can get or a specific app that allows me to keep running the video?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Im stilltrying to find how to make airplay keep streaming on my default video players ? Is there a tweak i can get or a specific app that allows me to keep running the video?
On a computer? Where's the problem?
On an iOS device - no way that I know of.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
nhl gamecenter and nfl gamepass have it, but then nba gametime doesnt. i know there was a jailbreak tweak, i beleive background manager that was supposed to enable this, can't speak to its current status or whether it works as advertised

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

It's entirely up to the the developer of the app whether or not airplay works in the background. Some apps allow it, some don't. Companies like Google who want to thrust ads in your face all the time usually don't allow it. All of Apple's apps and many other third party apps are more consumer friendly and do allow it.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
try double-tapping home button to switch to another app instead of going to the home screen.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
It's entirely up to the the developer of the app whether or not airplay works in the background.

Think it is a bit more complicated than that. To be able to play in then background, the app must support AirVideo. AirVideo however, requires hardware decoding and hardware decoding only supports H.264, MPEG-4 and MJPEG I believe (those are natively supported by Apples own QuickTime).

In all other cases, software based decoding is required and the only way to to show those videos on your ATV is through AirMirroring, which requires the screen to be turned on.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Think it is a bit more complicated than that. To be able to play in then background, the app must support AirVideo. AirVideo however, requires hardware decoding and hardware decoding only supports H.264, MPEG-4 and MJPEG I believe (those are natively supported by Apples own QuickTime).

In all other cases, software based decoding is required and the only way to to show those videos on your ATV is through AirMirroring, which requires the screen to be turned on.

So yeah, like I said it's entirely up to the developer. I get what you mean though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.