Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
Hey guys, doing the upgrade on my 840 Samsung SSD in mid 2012 cmbp. Made the DVD with the newest firmware, it popped up on the startup disk, I picked it and restarted...

Now it says...No bootable device... Insert and press any key... Of course nothing works when I press it... If I turn off and on it goes to same screen.. I'm stuck at the black screen...

Where'd I go wrong??

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
Are you using the OS X updater/tool?

No I just burned the firmware to a DVD and tried to use that DVD as a startup disk...

Once I restart it says no bootable disk found...

----------

Some firmware updates are destructive to the data on the drive.

I ejected the disk and computer loads fine.. Wondering if I am burning the disk wrong or something? :confused:

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
By any chance is the drive you are trying to boot from an external?

Do you have a Data Doubler (or similar) device installed?

There is a Apple EFI bug that won't allow the FW updater to run from an external device. Must be connected to an internal SATA port.

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
By any chance is the drive you are trying to boot from an external?

Do you have a Data Doubler (or similar) device installed?

There is a Apple EFI bug that won't allow the FW updater to run from an external device. Must be connected to an internal SATA port.

I burned the .iso from samsungs website to a DVD via disk utility... Then tried booting from the DVD..

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
No I just burned the firmware to a DVD and tried to use that DVD as a startup disk...

Once I restart it says no bootable disk found...

----------

I ejected the disk and computer loads fine.. Wondering if I am burning the disk wrong or something? :confused:

What he meant by destructive, is that on some SSD, when you update the firmware, it's going to "reset" the whole drive.

Ejecting it won't save you from that :/

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
What he meant by destructive, is that on some SSD, when you update the firmware, it's going to "reset" the whole drive.

Ejecting it won't save you from that :/

I'm aware of that... and have a backup just incase...

I'm on the computer now... I ejected the disk and rebooted the machine...

The problem lies when I try to boot from the DVD with the firmware .iso on it.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I've seen some firmware update utility not work very well on Macs, so if you have access to a windows machine you could try it from there maybe?

Also, some utility will only see the drive it they are on IDE instead of AHCI.

Hope it helps!

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
And you used the ISO and Instructions located here for OS X?

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yes I followed the instructions, the problem seems to lie within the DVD I am burning with the firmware on it..

When I restart and hold alt down... I click to boot from the DVD and it says "no bootable device found.. insert one and press any key" And pressing any key of course doesn't do anything, at that point I restart computer and back to square one :confused:

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yes I followed the instructions, the problem seems to lie within the DVD I am burning with the firmware on it..

When I restart and hold alt down... I click to boot from the DVD and it says "no bootable device found.. insert one and press any key" And pressing any key of course doesn't do anything, at that point I restart computer and back to square one :confused:

Did u format the SSD with Disk Utility first?

Than reboot on the DVD.

888gorilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
NC
Did u format the SSD with Disk Utility first?

Than reboot on the DVD.

I formatted the SSD when I installed it about 2 weeks ago, been running fine. Are you saying to update the firmware I would need to format again and reinstall my backup?

kentsuppi

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
Are you sure that you burned the disk image correctly? You cannot just burn the file onto a disk :)

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
Hey guys, doing the upgrade on my 840 Samsung SSD in mid 2012 cmbp. Made the DVD with the newest firmware, it popped up on the startup disk, I picked it and restarted...

Now it says...No bootable device... Insert and press any key... Of course nothing works when I press it... If I turn off and on it goes to same screen.. I'm stuck at the black screen...

Where'd I go wrong??

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

HikariYuki

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
How would you guys perform the power cycle if the firmware update asks for you to do so?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
First, drag the ISO file to the left sidebar in Disk Utility. But don't mount it.

Insert a blank DVD.

In Disk Utility, then right click on the ISO file in the sidebar and click Burn to disc.

Then you're done. Safest way to burn.

jvcrabb

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
All, I was able to install my new SSD (840 EVO 500GB) and can confirm that the ISO downloaded from the PC link (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7TE1T0BW#) appeared to work.

Unfortunately my SSD has the latest firmware so I could not actually install the update. The bootdisk was able to see the SSD and was able to determine it had the latest firmware so it I would imagine this method would work.

hayzey

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Try booting from internal DVD drive

I had same issue. Burned the ISO using Disk Utility to a CD, and tried booting with it via an external DVD drive. Got the "no bootable device" error. The external drive would spin up but no love.

Following MatthewAMEL's advice above I tried booting from an iMac's internal DVD drive (pressed C during startup) with the same CD-ROM and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.