Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
IOS7 is not from the ground up, its iOS6 reskinned an a some new features.

iOS7 is iOS6 touched by this muppet Jony Ive. Touched and destroyed. Now it has to rise from the ashes like phoenix...

They should never let Ive approach anything but aluminum tables.

SenorDD

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
It only refreshes if you have more than 6 tabs open at one time.

Last edited:

slwiser

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I turned off open in new window and have had far less issues. History is easy to get to.

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Use Atomic browser!

Use Atomic browser! This browser will not reload your tabs!!!

Some other browsers may also do the trick.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Nope. I got the same problems magically appearing on my iPad 4 when I installed iOS 7, do you think the installation burned my RAM? Properly coded applications cannot crash due to lack of ram, they can run slow due to lack of ram but not crash.

Apple most likely introduced some bugs in its memory handling with their new OS, something they will likely have fixed for the final version of 7.1.

I dont believe it. Its 100% a ram issue. Ipads have poor memory management. I mean theres not even a way for us to check how much is currently being used like on an Android device.

Im actually going to pick up a Samsung Note 8 tommorow to test out. I bet you any money, it wont give any of these random clown crashes. And what do you know, it happens to have 2GB ram. I played around with one the other day in store and was quite impressed with the true multitasking capability of the device.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
And you know this how?

He knows that this a much more complex subject than you can imagine. In other words, you know nothing regarding this subject and your spree of posts hoping for a fix are useless... here's why:

1. 1GB of RAM was not even dared to be included on the first Macbook Air in 2008, because that was the standard memory in 2004.

2. In 2008, when the Macbook Air was launched, it had 2 GB of RAM.

3. The processor speed of the iPad Air is pretty much the same of the original Macbook Air, as it's even promoted by Apple themselves.

4. You don't need to say that OS X uses more memory than iOS, because now they're both 64 bit operating systems capable of high-end graphics and complex features that were not even available in OS X in 2008. Also, Mac OS X was able to run with 1GB RAM in 2008.

5. The iPad Air has almost triple the resolution of the original Macbook Air from 2008, which of course uses a lot more system resources.

6. Webpages are NOT created by Apple, so developers don't have much control over their content and resources used, and with lots of videos and pictures loaded to RAM, they do consume a LOT of memory. Much more than in 2008 as well.. So should Apple halt web browsing out of their own "recommended" web pages or should they add more RAM?

7. The iPad 4 has the same 1GB memory of the iPad Air, but that's for a 32bit OS, which consumes more than 30% less memory.

8. The iPad Air is useless for at least a low usage of full web browsing, because then you just can't access full websites or the ones with video and many pictures, which is pretty much standard on the web today.

9. I saw that you just found out how to look at iOS logs (about 15 days ago), so you clearly are not an "advanced" user, thus your arguments are very poor and based on beliefs instead of technical arguments.

10. There's no miracle for the proper lack of RAM on a machine: you either let the app run very, very slowly, with limited resources enabled or by paging to the disk, or the app crashes.

Apple has clearly chosen to crash the apps due to low memory, instead of paging to the disk and making them very slow.

Once again, miracles only exist for unconditional fanboys. We're talking about real limitations here. Give up.:)

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
10. There's no miracle for the proper lack of RAM on a machine: you either let the app run very, very slowly, with limited resources enabled or by paging to the disk, or the app crashes.

Apple has clearly chosen to crash the apps due to low memory, instead of paging to the disk and making them very slow.

Once again, miracles only exist for unconditional fanboys. We're talking about real limitations here. Give up.:)

How do you "page the disk" for flash-based storage like iOS devices? Is it even possible? Who would think that having the application crash is better than taking longer?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Man these random crashes on chrome and safari have really gotten old and are pissing me off.

Its 100% due to lack of ram.

When there is no swap space, and low ram, all the OS can do is terminate the user space apps. That is what is happening. No software optimizations can help except for enabling swap, which will wear out the flash storage faster.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...In other words, you know nothing regarding this subject and your spree of posts hoping for a fix are useless...
Apple has clearly chosen to crash the apps due to low memory, instead of paging to the disk and making them very slow...Once again, miracles only exist for unconditional fanboys. We're talking about real limitations here. Give up.:)

Easy there Francis. You need to relax and take a deep breath. Apple has clearly not done any such thing, and you stating it doesn't make it fact. It makes you sound like you know even less than me. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Apple hating fantasies, not real limitations. When you grow up and want to talk about memory management and the iPad, let me know. However, while you remain insistent on making these false and misleading statements, you are on your own.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
How do you "page the disk" for flash-based storage like iOS devices? Is it even possible? Who would think that having the application crash is better than taking longer?

Because "disk" is a generic name, like computers are used for tablets too. The Macintosh HD icon on my rMBP is also based on a hard disk.

Anyway... It is possible to use paging, but apparently, the flash drive on iPads has nowhere near the speeds of real SSDs. Actually they're even slower than some ordinary hard disks regarding data transfer rates (not access times).

Apple prefers crashing the app instead of running it slower maybe due to marketing: the way that iOS apps crash is pretty fancy: they just disappear and people see that and move along gracefully (for most idiots, of course). But running an app terribly slowly means that your iPad has some kind of problem that the user can perceive and complain. If the app just disappears, then people will likely think that it is going to be fixed on a future update. lol. People are waiting for this update since the iPad 1 and it's only getting worse.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Yes, because a lack of RAM is a condition so rare that iOS apps have no idea how to handle it other than crashing.... :rolleyes:

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Easy there Francis. You need to relax and take a deep breath. Apple has clearly not done any such thing, and you stating it doesn't make it fact. It makes you sound like you know even less than me. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Apple hating fantasies, not real limitations. When you grow up and want to talk about memory management and the iPad, let me know. However, while you remain insistent on making these false and misleading statements, you are on your own.

You're so much worse than I thought. I'm sorry for you.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Yes, because a lack of RAM is a condition so rare that iOS apps have no idea how to handle it other than crashing.... :rolleyes:

If that is true, hen why there is so many low memory crash report? Seriously, I have never seen page constantly refreshing other platform, including Android. Clearly, increasing amount if RAM available is a way to go.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It only refreshes if you have more than 6 tabs open at one time.

That is a false statement. Maybe you don't know it is false but I do. I have just recorded a video of my ipad air running safari with one tab and it is reloading when I swipe back and then forward.

This is ONE tab and safari is having to reload it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRmNDtLfMQ

The process I went thru was open one tab in safari, search "dell venue pro 8" in google, click the TheVerge link, swipe back, swipe forward. Safari has to reload the one tab it has open.

One tab is too much for safari.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If that is true, hen why there is so many low memory crash report? Seriously, I have never seen page constantly refreshing other platform, including Android. Clearly, increasing amount if RAM available is a way to go.

Clearly? No. So let's say you magically had a 2GB iPad. What would happen when the 2GB are used up? More crashes? Or do you think 2GB or 4GB is some sort of magic number that will never be exceeded?

No. What is more likely is that there is a bug in either iOS or Safari that is causing this. This is more likely caused by buggy software. There will NEVER be enough RAM. There will ALWAYS be a need to manage RAM efficiently and without crashing. Even the guy with 1TB of RAM will find a way to use it all up and need efficient memory management to not crash.

----------

...The process I went thru was open one tab in safari, search "dell venue pro 8" in google, click the TheVerge link, swipe back, swipe forward. Safari has to reload the one tab it has open.

That ONE tab, yes. Other tabs, no. Which means it DEPENDS on what content you are loading. :rolleyes:

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
That is a false statement. Maybe you don't know it is false but I do. I have just recorded a video of my ipad air running safari with one tab and it is reloading when I swipe back and then forward.

This is ONE tab and safari is having to reload it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRmNDtLfMQ

The process I went thru was open one tab in safari, search "dell venue pro 8" in google, click the TheVerge link, swipe back, swipe forward. Safari has to reload the one tab it has open.

Yes, I noticed that... Sometimes it takes very long for me to go back and forth on iPad 3... Safari will just unresponsive for few second then decides to reload...

By the way, next time, try to recording with your iPhone in landscape mode...

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
This is the bottom line:

2GB of RAM would solve ALL of these issues. Apple cheaped out with only giving 1GB this generation despite moving to a more resource-hungry 64-bit OS/processor.

I am still puzzled at how they felt so comfortable half-assing the future proofing of this device by upgrading the processor and bottlenecking the RAM. They should really be ashamed. The competition in the tablet field is more competitive than ever and they still couldn't have just given us a competitive level of memory. For a device that ranges from $500-$900, who wouldn't spend an extra $50 to get double of something that you know would cost Apple $8 to put in????

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Clearly? No. So let's say you magically had a 2GB iPad. What would happen when the 2GB are used up? More crashes? Or do you think 2GB or 4GB is some sort of magic number that will never be exceeded?

No. What is more likely is that there is a bug in either iOS or Safari that is causing this. This is more likely caused by buggy software. There will NEVER be enough RAM. There will ALWAYS be a need to manage RAM efficiently and without crashing. Even the guy with 1TB of RAM will find a way to use it all up and need efficient memory management to not crash.

----------

That ONE tab, yes. Other tabs, no. Which means it DEPENDS on what content you are loading. :rolleyes:

Why don't you go up there and re-read my post, so you'll understand what Apple has chosen to do? Regarding your poor arguments, we could have 10 Megabytes of RAM and everything would be ok, wouldn't it? Because ZBoater wants it to be.

You have no idea how computers work and trolling behavior like yours only mean one thing: attention-whores. You're too lazy to learn what others are trying to say, because we have many years of computer knowledge that you don't, so you try to learn by trolling and you have no idea of how ridiculous those arguments are... That's why you always answer with a question... Because you have no good answers.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013

Dude...I am not saying increasing RAM is only way out... It is one way to help relaxing the situation. Larger amount if RAM will help the situation but not completely solve it. Until Apple figures out the god dam problem, I say increasing RAM is best way to go.

Yes, efficient memory management is clearly way to go. But not with cost of everything needed to reloading even after short amount of period. Ever experiencing you writing long email, then device to check out some information on Safari, then go back to email app finding the email app refreshed and lost all your writing?

And for your record, iOS is getting bloated by each generation, so you will find 1GB is not sufficient.

----------

This is the bottom line:

2GB of RAM would solve ALL of these issues. Apple cheaped out with only giving 1GB this generation despite moving to a more resource-hungry 64-bit OS/processor.

I am still puzzled at how they felt so comfortable half-assing the future proofing of this device by upgrading the processor and bottlenecking the RAM. They should really be ashamed. The competition in the tablet field is more competitive than ever and they still couldn't have just given us a competitive level of memory. For a device that ranges from $500-$900, who wouldn't spend an extra $50 to get double of something that you know would cost Apple $8 to put in????

Especially the RAM cost is dirt cheap...

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
This is the bottom line:

That's why there's a rumor regarding an iPad Pro... They sell half-baked products to make "power users" buy the pro. What Apple failed to see is that power users also want portability and powerful machines.

2GB would be the minimum to load websites whithout slowing down the iPad, because there would be enough memory to reload another tab while the other one is being flushed out. With only 1GB, iOS alone takes almost everything only for the system itself. That's why 2GB would be "magical".

Changing iOS completely to use less RAM would cost more to Apple than adding another 1GB of RAM. It was a mistake, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.