Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released its annual "12 Days of Gifts" app for iOS devices, setting the stage for the actual giveaway of free content from the company's various digital stores from December 26 through January 6. Apple has offered the giveaway for several years in Europe, Canada, and several other countries, and in 2013 U.S. customers will have access for the first time.
From 26 December - 6 January, you can download a gift each day--songs, apps, books, movies, and more--with the 12 Days of Gifts app. Each day's gift will only be available for 24 hours, so download the free app to make sure you don't miss out. Please note: Not all content is available in all countries.
12_days_of_gifts_2013.jpg
12 Days of Gifts is a universal app available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's '12 Days of Gifts' App for 2013 Now Live, Includes U.S. Customers

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
yeah!!!

i remember seeing this year after year and wishing for a US version.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
An excellent iOS 7 app. The whiners who refuse to upgrade need not attempt a download.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is great news for consumers. Only Apple can do this because they control the hardware and software experience.

A big thanks to:
Tim Cook
Jony Ive
Eddy Cue
Craig Federighi
Phil Schiller

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
An excellent iOS 7 app. The whiners who refuse to upgrade need not attempt a download.

As a 4th-generation iPod touch user, it's not that I refuse to upgrade but that I cannot.

Not that I'm bitter about this being iOS 7 only. Although, I would have checked it out if I could have. It doesn't even really seem like something that needs an application. Couldn't it just be a section of the store?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Anyone noticed the background is like the dynamic wallpapers in iOS7, but without motion sensitivity? Weird.

It doesn't even really seem like something that needs an application. Couldn't it just be a section of the store?

I believe previously the apps etc have been made free for the day for everyone, and the app just tells you about them, so you'll be able to get them anyway if you can find out about them from elsewhere.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
For those with an older OS version... Don't worry, I just read the information on the app, and the freebies should be in the store separately too.

I wonder if the freebies will be different across regions? I have a UK account and want to get on those freebies too as always. :D

They give out apps, TV episodes, movies (but this year it's a rental apparently (because most won't agree to giving their move flat out free in the US), a few tracks, music videos, and maybe, just *maybe* last year they handed out a book if I remember correctly.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Reading the FAQ it seems like there will be free movie rental and tv shows,
Good stuff!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I don't understand why Apple insists on iOS 7, there is probably nothing in that app which requires iOS 7 functionality. I get that Apple wants to push everyone to iOS 7, but can't they at least make some effort to maintain some backwards compatibility where possible? This shows how much Apple thinks of customers that either cannot or do not want to upgrade their devices (iPhone 4 user here). :(

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
If i download the app on iPad iPhone iPod Rmini and iMac does that mean I get 60 gifts? Or is it one gift per day per iTunes username?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If i download the app on iPad iPhone iPod Rmini and iMac does that mean I get 60 gifts? Or is it one gift per day per iTunes username?

The app basically redirects you to the iTunes Store or App Store and the corresponding product (song, film, ebook, app) is free for 24 hours. You need an iTunes account / Apple ID to download the content. Then iTunes in the Cloud does the rest for all your connected devices. The gift is the same for everyone in your country, every day.

ChanneledDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012

If each of those devices has a different Apple ID signed in on them, you can get it multiple times.

Of course if you own all those devices there's no point because you can log in with the same account and re-download or sync the same stuff everywhere anyways.

pramirez95

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
Gift hints are in the FAQ's

The FAQ section of the app mentions books, TV episodes, files over 100MB, movies & movie rentals. Super excited over here!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm curious... do customers get different things or does everyone get the same stuff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.