Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter for iOS was today updated to version 6.0, adding a refreshed design that incorporates a revamped navigation bar with new icons for easier access to DMs. The Discover feed, previously accessible from the navigation bar, can now be accessed along with the Activity feed by swiping in Timelines.

twitter6.jpg
Along with a new look, Twitter for iOS now allows users to send and receive photos via Direct Message and it includes several new notification options. Search has also been improved, showing results from followed and nearby users and Safari Reading List support has been added.
New design.
- Refreshed look and feel. Home, Activity and Discover now available by swiping in Timelines. Easier access to DMs.

Share photos in Direct Messages.
- Send and receive photos via DMs.

Notifications from your network.
- Choose to view replies, retweets, and favorites from only the people that you follow.

Search got even easier.
- Access tweets from people you follow and near you, directly from search results.

Safari Reading List support
- Save web articles to read later with Safari Reading List.
Twitter for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Updated With New Design, Image Sharing via DMs and Search Improvements

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wow! iOS (well, iPhone) Twitter has been improving a lot recently.

Now, if only they would pay some attention to the Mac OS version! C'mon, guys!!

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
Wow! iOS (well, iPhone) Twitter has been improving a lot recently.

Now, if only they would pay some attention to the Mac OS version! C'mon, guys!!

Agreed, both the Mac OS and iPad versions are way behind in terms of updates.
Obviously the traffic shows that iPhone is by far the way most people use it.

----------

"Send and receive photos via DMs. "

Probably would have saved Anthony Weiner's career.

Wouldn't have stopped the gals from releasing it themselves. Which is what people would do to politicians, celebrities or others in the public eye.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
"Send and receive photos via DMs. "

Twitter DMs are the worst. I hate it when people DM me! The main problem is that they appear as new messages individually, on all your devices, so you end up reading the same messages over and over and over again. So annoying!

At least Facebook can keep itself synced between devices.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Hope this update brings back the speed that was in the version before the last one for my iPod touch 4th gen. :eek:

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
The most useful Twitter feature IS Lists IMO. Yet, the official Twitter app and the web site bury it.

Thank god for Tweetbot.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Can't they PLEASE update the ipad design? So unacceptable that the iPhone version has gone through multiple visual changes and the ipad is still the same.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Too little too late.

Twitter could've corned private messaging market but they have long regressed and made DM a second citizen. After watching the likes of WhatsApp and SnapChat (and many more) rise up in popularity, Twitter finally updates DM with lackluster UI, feature set, and no API support.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I use lists heavily; why must they be buried?

Is my use-case unusual? Or is there a "corporate meddling" reason why lists are buried? It just doesn't feel like the sort of feature a developer would intentionally bury unless told to by a suit.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Can't they PLEASE update the ipad design? So unacceptable that the iPhone version has gone through multiple visual changes and the ipad is still the same.

Lies! The iPad version was recently updated with Helvetica Light instead of Helvetica Regular! :)

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Whenever I see a "this app for Twitter has been updated" post, I think to myself, Gosh I really don't use Twitter at all.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Just buy Tweetbot.

I do use Tweetbot. Doesn't mean I don't want the official client to improve!

Official client does a few things Tweetbot can't, like see a history of your mentions, retweets, etc... Tweetbot says the API doesn't support that but then how does the official client do it? I think Twitter is keeping some API calls to themselves.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The new update for Twitter is appealing. Altough after downloading and checking it out, I went right back to Tweetbot.

I do, however, use Twitter on my iPad though.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Official client does a few things Tweetbot can't, like see a history of your mentions, retweets, etc... Tweetbot says the API doesn't support that but then how does the official client do it? I think Twitter is keeping some API calls to themselves.

The API doesn't support it but Twitter doesn't use the public API. It is common knowledge that they keep that feature for themselves. This is why no 3rd party clients implement it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.