Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

angrybirdsgologo.png
Rovio has officially released Angry Birds Go! for iOS, bringing a 3D kart racing game based off of the popular Angry Birds franchise to mobile devices. The game includes many of the usual bird and pig characters from the Angry Birds series participating in downhill kart races with various tracks and power ups, and also includes the ability to perform kart upgrades. A variety of game modes are present as well, with Angry Birds Go! also bringing support for Hasbro's interactive "Telepods" toys that debuted alongside Angry Birds Star Wars II.
Welcome to downhill racing on Piggy Island! Feel the rush as you fling those freewheeling birds and piggies down the track at breakneck speed - with plenty of twists and turns in a thrilling race to the finish line! But beware! Look out for hazardous roads, mischievous opponents riding your tail and special powers to put the race leader behind the pack. Plus, go from soapbox car to supercar by upgrading your ride! Ready...Set...Angry Birds Go!

FIRST-EVER 3D ANGRY BIRDS WORLD! See the birds and pigs from every angle as Piggy Island comes alive in this rich and colorful 3D world!

RACE AS THE BIRDS OR PIGS! Jump behind the wheel and race as Red, Chuck, Terence, Stella, King Pig, Moustache Pig and many other favorites!

MASTER THE TRACKS! Plenty of racetracks, stunt roads, air courses and off-road races - each throwing big and unexpected challenges your way!

AWESOME SPECIAL POWERS! Smash your opponents off the road and take that winning position thanks to unique special powers for each character!
The title was first teased back in June, with additional information about the game released this past August. Angry Birds Go! is a free download for iOS devices, and also features in-app purchases. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rovio's 'Angry Birds Go!' Kart Racing Game Hits the App Store

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I think Freemium is interesting when it's a game I might try that I might not have looked at otherwise.

But when you force me to stop playing and then ask me to pony up £50 or whatever for your 'super amazing racing kart', then you can go fling your birds at some other pig.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I never ever pay IAPs for games, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them. So I can only play a little of Go at a time, I don't sit down with a game for any long periods of time anyway.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Rovio can make some good games like Icebreaker and Tiny Thief but their Angry Birds series just is too gimmicky for me. I caved and bought the Star Wars version and instantly regretted it after playing it for a bit. Based on the gameplay footage I've seen of their new cart racer, it brings nothing new that the app store hasn't already seen.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Ok so I downloaded this today and played with it for 10 minutes and must say Im a little disappointed. The graphics look like something I played in the 90's. This is a desperate attempt from Rovio to extract more money from a otherwise drained angry bird brand. They should do more original content than just another racing game. How about something as different as the bad piggies game, that was entertaining and a nice change from the usual angry birds game. As for this, not interested in the slightest, at least they spared us spending money upfront.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
In fact, it's the only sustainable business model in a world full of $0.99 apps.

Great. But I'm never using it. Any app that has IAPs doesn't even get a download from me. It is in my belief it should be boycotted.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
In fact, it's the only sustainable business model in a world full of $0.99 apps.

Then devs need to charge more for their apps. I paid $10 each for the iWork apps, $20 for Omnifocus, $5 for iBank, $15 or so for 1Password. And those were just the iOS versions.

Good apps are worth the money and if devs won't properly value their work then nobody else will either.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Great. But I'm never using it. Any app that has IAPs doesn't even get a download from me. It is in my belief it should be boycotted.

Some of them are OK. Plants vs Zombies 2 is one example of a game that goes IAPs tastefully. You can use them if you're lazy and want to speed up your progress, but its not essential to completing the game.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Then devs need to charge more for their apps. I paid $10 each for the iWork apps, $20 for Omnifocus, $5 for iBank, $15 or so for 1Password. And those were just the iOS versions.

Good apps are worth the money and if devs won't properly value their work then nobody else will either.

Good content add-ons are also worth good money. IE, expansion packs or major updates.

Apple doesn't allow updates to cost money though. Either it's a sequel or an IAP - there's no easy way to say, "Hey, I have a new version of my app that doubles the number of features. I spent the last year working on it, please pay me again to update, or keep using last year's version."

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
its an ok game but theres not much skill to it. There are better kart racing games for sure on the app store. The graphics really are not that good either (somewhat looks like its not even retina).

IAP is very very dominate in this app you can play for about 15-30mins then expect to pay money and never stop paying money.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Ugh. I'll pass. This freemium stuff is the cancer of the software world.

How so? You can play a game for free.

I WISH there were things like that when I was younger. We could rent games for $$$, or buy them for $$$. There were no free games on consoles or portables.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I like it, feels like DS or Advance graphics. The gameplays simple but enjoyable. Its a nice game and you arent forced to buy anything.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Good content add-ons are also worth good money. IE, expansion packs or major updates.

Apple doesn't allow updates to cost money though. Either it's a sequel or an IAP - there's no easy way to say, "Hey, I have a new version of my app that doubles the number of features. I spent the last year working on it, please pay me again to update, or keep using last year's version."

To me that method is way better than listing it in the store as free and then when you get in and try to use it you realize you have to purchase many potential features. IAP method feels more like a bait and switch than anything else.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Don't really have an issue with IAPs for upgrades, special items/levels and such, but I would much prefer to pay $5 up front (or via IAP) to get rid of advertisements / sponsors and the "energy limit" as the presence of both directly impacts basic gameplay (which, for me, is about all I am interested in with the AB franchise as I use it as a time-killer).

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Love Angry Birds and I just gave this a go but I'm not paying that kind of money for upgrades in the game, rather go get a new PS4 or xBox and do it on my TV!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.