Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that it is bringing Chrome Apps to the Mac, following a beta period that began in May. First introduced in September for Windows and Chromebook users, Chrome Apps are designed to function like native Mac apps, working offline, updating automatically, and syncing on any computer where a user is signed into Chrome.

applauncher.jpg
Chrome Apps work offline, update automatically and sync to any computer where you're signed into Chrome, so you can pick up where you left off. Your Chrome Apps on Mac behave and feel just like native software. For example, you can find your Chrome Apps in the Applications folder on the Dock. Search for apps by name in the Spotlight search--just like any other Mac program that you already use.
Chrome Apps, which are separate from Chrome browser apps, are downloaded into the applications folder and work like any other Mac app. The apps have access to local storage for offline support, differentiating them from standard Chrome apps, and are able to easily sync content between multiple computers.

Chrome Apps for the Mac also work with Google's Chrome App Launcher, which will be automatically installed when any Chrome App is downloaded. The Chrome App Launcher aggregates all Chrome Apps into one convenient expandable grid on the Mac's dock.

Google has several different fully functional Chrome Apps available for download from its Chrome Web Store, including offerings like video editing app WeVideo Next and project management app Smartsheet.

Article Link: Google Launches Chrome Apps for Mac

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Since I can't get plug ins to load into Chrome, after countless attempts at troubleshooting, I think I'll pass over this one and stick with OS X Apps and Safari.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
To be honest I don't really get why having web applications as native apps is much of an advantage... It's like having a Macrumors application and a New York Times application and a X-website-that-you-visit-frequently application on your Mac - why not just visit these in a browser?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
I don't get it, how am I supposed to install them? Where is the Gmail app? There's hardly anything. :confused:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

Only a few things available right after a service launches? Shocking! Almost as if it takes times for the full suite to get ported over.

----------

Google can take a running jump i dont need that shady company harvesting my private data.

If you don't think Apple does it, you're fooling yourself.

Note that I did not in any way, shape, or form defend what Google does.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Great strategy, throw it up against the wall and see what sticks. Exactly the opposite of the strategy to develop great apps, knowing what will stick. Another way to say it, scramble, scramble, and scramble some more for that pot of gold.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Hey Google, 2009 just called...

...and it wants you to give its Adobe AIR platform back. "Native" web apps that can run offline across multiple platforms...we've seen this all before.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Can someone tell me the benefit of having these google apps on my laptop/iPad?
With Google Chrome and this, Google essentially now has released Chrome OS for Mac. But I agree. If there only was some killer app for the web out there... I still consider them largely lightweight and usually feature-limited versions of native apps for Mac.

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
What's the difference between these "apps" and loading the url icon to the dock?

You get a fancy launcher style window? *shrugs*

I think the big thing is the offline mode of the web apps...

------

I'll most likely be ignoring this. I rarely use Chrome anymore anyways.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Google Free

No thanks. Plenty of alternatives to avoid Google and less sleezy to. :)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
To be honest I don't really get why having web applications as native apps is much of an advantage... It's like having a Macrumors application and a New York Times application and a X-website-that-you-visit-frequently application on your Mac - why not just visit these in a browser?

The ability to sync content between computers (with local storage) may have some benefits somewhere. It is probably markedly easier and simpler for [New York Times] developers to write a [New York Times].chromeapp that will work on multiple platforms and, depending on the functionality such an app would have, may be easier to code something fancy than relying on HTML5 (depending on what Chrome Apps are actually coded in - I have no idea).

I don't see it having much of a reason to catch on... unless they were to replace/merge app functionality with regular chrome extensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.