Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5c_store_hero-250x280.jpg
Walmart will begin a holiday sale on Friday that will see the retailer drop price of Apple's iPhone to just $27 with a two-year contract, reports the Los Angeles Times. Though the iPhone 5c is normally priced at $99, Walmart and other retailers have been selling the phone at a discount since shortly after its September launch.

Walmart initially sold the iPhone for $79, but back in October, the company dropped the price on the iPhone 5c to just $45, undercutting other retailers pricing schemes. During Black Friday, Walmart offered an even better deal, providing a $75 gift card along with an iPhone 5c purchased for $45.

Holiday price drops on electronics are not unusual, but iPhone 5c pricing has been aggressive since the launch of the phone. Apple has reportedly even reduced production of the iPhone 5c due to more than adequate stock. While the iPhone 5s was constrained at launch and for many weeks afterwards, supplies of the iPhone 5c have remained plentiful.

Walmart will also be discounting the iPhone 5s to $127 on contract, a significant discount from the standard $199 price, and offering a $50 gift card with the purchase of a $299 16 GB original iPad mini.

Walmart's sale will begin on Friday, December 13 at 8 AM and last until December 24.

Update: Best Buy is offering a $75 discount on the iPhone 5s with the purchase of a two-year contract and MacMall is offering the 16 GB iPhone 5s for $120 and the 16 GB iPhone 5c for $20. Sam's Club will be selling the iPhone 5s for $119 with a two-year contract through january. From Dec. 13 to Dec. 15, the deal will be available to non-members as well.

Article Link: Walmart to Sell iPhone 5c for $27, iPhone 5s for $127 Beginning Friday

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Oh no apple is doomed. Or Walmart just wants more sales. But yea, ignore all other external possibilities on MacRumors.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Though the iPhone 5c is priced at $99 in the App Store

If you buy the iPhone 5c in the App Store and download it, do you get updated models for free when they are released?

Can everybody in your family who uses the same iTunes Apple ID also download it for free?

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Perfect... I was just about to buy a 16GB iPad Mini for my girlfriend, now I will wait the extra 2 days and get the gift car for other things.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
This is becoming ridculas. How the hell does Tim Cook allow the 5C to be sold for $27?! He's hurting Apple's entire premium brand image. Steve would never have allowed that. In fact, I doubt Steve would've allowed the iPhone to to even be sold at Wal Mart in the first place.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
This is becoming ridculas. How the hell does Tim Cook allow the 5C to be sold for $27?! He's hurting Apple's entire premium brand image. Steve would never have allowed that. In fact, I doubt Steve would've allowed the iPhone to to even be sold at Wal Mart in the first place.

Seriously get over it. Who cares.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008

Why are you complaining? It's good for the consumer. iPhones have been selling at the Walmart the past couple years and it hasn't hurt the quality of the device.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I would wait until after Christmas, they'll be giving it away for free.

----------

In fact, I doubt Steve would've allowed the iPhone to to even be sold at Wal Mart in the first place.

Oh, he did alright. People were jumping off the proverbial bridge here on MRs that day.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

Get a grip, this is a great thing. These prices will take more customers from Android who before couldnt afford an iPhone. Hell if the 5C was £27 here I'd of had it peobably.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I'd rather pay full price online or at the Apple store if it meant I could avoid the Wal-Mart clientele and staff. Oh yeah. I went there.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'd rather pay full price online or at the Apple store if it meant I could avoid the Wal-Mart clientele and staff. Oh yeah. I went there.

I've never had a bad experience at a Walmart, but then again I only go to a Walmart 2-4 times a year (no Walmart here in Brooklyn yet) and never purchased electronics there. Maybe Apple could price-match with Walmart (to be fair)? I understand where you're coming from, but for some, saving money may be a higher priority and I have nothing against that.

----------

The days of showing off your iPhone are long gone. Well, it's still a nice phone to show off, but you get my point. All smartphones, including iPhones, have become commodities and it's vital for Apple to use all of its options/resources to expand its market, especially overseas but in the US as well.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Wow people are mad about apple teaming with Walmart to do something good for the consumer?

You people are crazy

rette

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
Apple Retail Stores Price Match??

I hope Apple Retail will extend price matching to this. As of the latest rumors posting they are only giving 10-20% off. :rolleyes:

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Of course!

Walmart makes their profit from the bounty AT&T/Sprint/Verizon give them for suckering new people into contracts.

You can get them off contract at Walmart/Sams, but they are full price.

The $36 activation/upgrade fee you pay when you buy a subsidized phone usually goes to the retailer. Walmart probably gets an additional kickback for selling millions of devices a year.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Business contract?

Wonder if Walmart can handle business accounts. If they can, I'll be there Friday am.

Anyone here have a clue as to if Walmart works with Business accounts?

There was an article a few days back saying Apple stores were matching prices, wonder if this applies?

Thinkin big...... bigandtasty

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Do they only sell them on contract?

If you do a search on their website, searches for specifically the 5s and 5c will redirect you to an Apple.com style page, which will redirect you to a store locator.

But if you search for an original 5, you get all sorts of options for prepaid. $549 for a 16gb on Straight Talk, $599 for a 64gb on Net10, and so on.

5S 16gb on Straight Talk or Net10 is $649.

Further down you will see other Straight Talk options with a month of service thrown in for free.

Most of them are sold out online, though.

way2l84sanity

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2006
Half way to everywhere
I just wish Apple and Costco would make up.
I miss buying iTunes gift cards there.
It would be interesting to see what kind of deal Costco could offer on the iPhone, through their cell phone kiosk.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
The days of showing off your iPhone are long gone. Well, it's still a nice phone to show off, but you get my point. All smartphones, including iPhones, have become commodities and it's vital for Apple to use all of its options/resources to expand its market, especially overseas but in the US as well.
I hear ya. I was one of the foolish early adopters of the iPhone 2G. I had many a women in downtown Hartford checking the phone out at lunch. And nope, never got one number :( but it was fun!

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I honestly wish apple sold their products as luxury tech items still. I miss the days when only well paid individuals could afford their devices, now everyone can and it makes me feel not as cool about owning them. That's what most people probably want to say but don't for fear of looking pretentious but it's true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.