Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I using this Xskn silicone cover and it not doing any damage I can seeing. Maybe because it being very soft and very thin. I seeing Moshi TPU covers but they like plastic but softer but still hard. If not fitting nice on keyboard they can touching the screen.

Do you memorize the keys with that skin on?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Just talked to Moshi about their Palm Guard for the rMBP. They said that even though Apple has issued an advisory for Palm Guards for the rMBP it is more generic as some manufacturers make them thicker than it should be. But that Moshi has tested theirs for the rMBP in their lab and there are no issues with it touching the screen etc.

I bought one for the MBA and was very impressed. I think I might be getting one for the rMBP... 3k is a lot of money in a laptop to be scratched by your watch and what not....

Last edited:

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Just talked to Moshi about their Palm Guard for the rMBP. They said that even though Apple has issued an advisory for Palm Guards for the rMBP it is more generic as some manufacturers make them thicker than it should be. But that Moshi has tested theirs for the rMBP in their lab and there are no issues with it touching the screen etc.

I bought one for the MBA and was very impressed. I think I might be getting one for the rMBP... 3k is a lot of money in a laptop to be scratched by your watch and what not....

I want to get one also I've had it on my previous Macbook but that one had a cutout for where the magnet touched. I'm just really hesitant but the fact that Moshi is aware of the issue and is still confident in it's product it could get me to buy one.

xdunlapx

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Ohio, USA
I'm using an Uppercase super thin TPU cover on my keyboard and dont have any scratches on my screen, but my macbook is a mid-2012 13" mbp and I don't often close the screen and I've only moved my mbp once.. When we moved to another place about 5 months ago. I don't travel with my mbp much at all. That was the only time. So whose to say that it might scratch my screen. Next place I'll be taking this mbp with me is on a road trip sometime later this year, as we'll be moving across country. So much of that 4 day driving trip the mbp will be in the closed position in my messenger bag. I might take the keyboard cover off when we move.. Just to be safe if it is a problem. I'll try to keep updated on it and choose what to do when the time comes.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
My colleague just bought his MBP 13"(Not retina) as his screen was dirty. I gave him the home made cleaner(50% distill water + 50% Isopropyl alcohol) and while cleaning we noticed that his screen had keyboard marks and the LCD had a image retention of the Apple Logo from the outside lid. Wierd.

Anyway cleaned it to shining new and he was very happy. But was puzzled how he had those keyboard marks and he had no cover whatsoever.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
The KB protecter from enki.me is much thinner than moshi.

I am using them on my MBA and my rMBP. It doesn't leave marks on the screen. Their website has a silicon in white, but I bought mine locally in HK in transparent/clear $180 HKD.

Mwam

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Apart from not using the palm rest cover is it advisable to not use a keyboard protector as well?

I'm been wondering about this for a little bit and any advice would be much appreciated.

tylrcly

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
So for those of you that are using palm rests, how long have you been using them for, and what brand is the best?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Apart from not using the palm rest cover is it advisable to not use a keyboard protector as well?

I'm been wondering about this for a little bit and any advice would be much appreciated.

I don't use a palm guard but I do have a Moshi Clear Guard keyboard cover on my retina. It fits perfectly and I have not seen any evidence of scratches on the screen. Someone on this forum posted a comment reporting that Moshi advised their keyboard cover is safe.

Tourista

macrumors newbie
I don't understand the logic behind Apple's warning; The screen itself sits millimeters deeper than the rubber ridge surrounding it which contacts the palm rest/laptop face when closed. It would seem that if anything, a palm guard would make contact with the rubber ridge, not the screen itself.

Prior to the rMBP I bought weeks ago I'd used a 2008 pre-unibody MBP which had much less clearance between the screen surface and the palmrests. Stuck a Moshi palm guard on it day one, never had an issue with the display contacting it in five years. That machine didn't even have a rubber ridge to raise the display from the palm-area when closed.

On top of that, Apple is still selling Moshi Palmguards on their own site - has anyone actually had first-hand issues with a Moshi Palmguard and a rMBP, or is this all based on Apple's warning?

chris.bollman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
So my .02 cents regarding clearance, my 15" rMBP is just short of 1 month old and is naked of any appliqués. I just went to clean the screen today for the first time and lo and behold, my upper touchpad edge and lower keyboard edge are etched into my screen... I've never thought twice about this since they switched to a glass panel as key press marks were a thing of the past. Speaking of which, I also had key press marks of finger oil but they cleaned right off (but there is contact).

Point is the tolerances are indeed very thin, at least on the 15" where you have to worry about more screen flex.

Background: My rMBP rides around in an incase neoprene Slim Sleeve inside an unpadded laptop pocket of a Timbuk2 medium Classic messenger bag with several textbooks. Having always owned 15's I'm no stranger to screen flex and key press marks but after 4 years with my glossy Unibody MBP, the screen was perfect.

As it sits I am NOT pleased and will be calling AppleCare about this. I did not spend three grand to look at etched lines in my screen when there is ambient light present. ESPECIALLY when I can't replace the glass panel separately of the display panel.

small_IMG_4069.JPG

Last edited:

Devilicus

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
I've been using the iCarbon skin on my 13 inch RMBP for about a week now and haven't noticed any changes to the screen whatsoever (I have the one that includes the palm rest cover). Besides being pricey, so far I love the iCarbon. I guess time will tell if it starts making marks on the screen.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
So my .02 cents regarding clearance, my 15" rMBP is just short of 1 month old and is naked of any appliqués. I just went to clean the screen today for the first time and lo and behold, my upper touchpad edge and lower keyboard edge are etched into my screen... I've never thought twice about this since they switched to a glass panel as key press marks were a thing of the past. Speaking of which, I also had key press marks of finger oil but they cleaned right off (but there is contact).

Point is the tolerances are indeed very thin, at least on the 15" where you have to worry about more screen flex.

Background: My rMBP rides around in an incase neoprene Slim Sleeve inside an unpadded laptop pocket of a Timbuk2 medium Classic messenger bag with several textbooks. Having always owned 15's I'm no stranger to screen flex and key press marks but after 4 years with my glossy Unibody MBP, the screen was perfect.

As it sits I am NOT pleased and will be calling AppleCare about this. I did not spend three grand to look at etched lines in my screen when there is ambient light present. ESPECIALLY when I can't replace the glass panel separately of the display panel.

I think it would be more likely that the aluminum key cutouts scratched the screen. I doubt that plastic keys would be able to do that.

anthonyreid

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
UK
the reality behind the stuck/dead pixels

There is a major issue with the retina MacBooks that apple has. I had a very long story about my macbook, saying it in few words, I had my screen replaced 3 times, then the whole machine was replaced 2 times and now my screen is being replaced again, and all because of dead/stuck pixels in the centre of the screen. But now I realise how they appear, and that those dots are not stuck or dead pixels, but are holes, a tiny scratches that appear after the glass panel contacts the dust bits that stayed on the keyboard or the metal ages or trackpad. I mast say that last time when I found three dots again, I have tried gently touching the glass away from those dots with a needle, and without putting any pressure at all, i made another hole/scratch. But anyway, the positive note is that apple keeps on replacing the screens, as they think that those are stuck pixels.:D

----------

I think it would be more likely that the aluminum key cutouts scratched the screen. I doubt that plastic keys would be able to do that.

They would if there was something on the keys left, dust, sand of any kind. Read my previous post, where I have explained how I was thinking that I had dead pixels and eventually it appeared that they were holes/scratches on the screen.

----------

im very upset about the fact that i cant use a keyboard cover as well but for those you that are interested, i was looking on the apple store website and found a palm rest cover that is made for the macbook pro retina! :eek:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...protector-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Can you tell what is the real point in using any sort of covers/palm rests/carbon stickers???

----------

My colleague just bought his MBP 13"(Not retina) as his screen was dirty. I gave him the home made cleaner(50% distill water + 50% Isopropyl alcohol) and while cleaning we noticed that his screen had keyboard marks and the LCD had a image retention of the Apple Logo from the outside lid. Wierd.

Anyway cleaned it to shining new and he was very happy. But was puzzled how he had those keyboard marks and he had no cover whatsoever.

The image retention of the apple logo (LOL) is because the logo at the back is a kind of a see through plastic thing, try turning the screen off and putting a light at the back of the mac, as well as turning the lights of in the room, you will see what I mean.

Also, when you close your mac and put it in a bag, the screen touches the keyboard as it gets pushed to the keyboard. That explains why there are stains left from the keyboard on the glass.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
There is a major issue with the retina MacBooks that apple has. I had a very long story about my macbook, saying it in few words, I had my screen replaced 3 times, then the whole machine was replaced 2 times and now my screen is being replaced again, and all because of dead/stuck pixels in the centre of the screen. But now I realise how they appear, and that those dots are not stuck or dead pixels, but are holes, a tiny scratches that appear after the glass panel contacts the dust bits that stayed on the keyboard or the metal ages or trackpad. I mast say that last time when I found three dots again, I have tried gently touching the glass away from those dots with a needle, and without putting any pressure at all, i made another hole/scratch. But anyway, the positive note is that apple keeps on replacing the screens, as they think that those are stuck pixels.:D

----------

They would if there was something on the keys left, dust, sand of any kind. Read my previous post, where I have explained how I was thinking that I had dead pixels and eventually it appeared that they were holes/scratches on the screen.

----------

Can you tell what is the real point in using any sort of covers/palm rests/carbon stickers???

----------

The image retention of the apple logo (LOL) is because the logo at the back is a kind of a see through plastic thing, try turning the screen off and putting a light at the back of the mac, as well as turning the lights of in the room, you will see what I mean.

Also, when you close your mac and put it in a bag, the screen touches the keyboard as it gets pushed to the keyboard. That explains why there are stains left from the keyboard on the glass.

Like I said, the plastic keys wouldn't scratch it.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Agreed. I use a Steinheil SGP matte screen (and trackpad) protector with a KB Covers keyboard cover. No worries here.

I do not use a keyboard cover or palm guard but I do have a screen protector on mine. if you are worried about scratching the screen then put one on, then you don't need to worry about it at all

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Some of you make me LMFAO! Keep the paper it comes with to put between the display and keyboard? Don't use palm rests covers ect ect. Don't forget to put it in your temperature controlled, fur covered padded room when you're done using it!

I think the keyboard protectors are dumb and really serve me no purpose other than to make the keyboard feel weird and make it more difficult to type. As far as ruining the screen, ffs use your computer and move on with life.

As far as the guy thats all pissy because he can see the trackpad/what ever in his screen.... how is that apples fault? How does that affect the performance of the computer? YOU have been in possession of the computer not apple.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
This is really annoying... I like putting covers on my keyboard/trackpad/palmrest to avoid getting it all shiny/oily from everyday use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.