Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram for iOS has been updated to version 5.0, adding the company's Instagram Direct feature that was announced this morning. Instagram Direct is designed to allow users to send photo and video messages to private groups.

The update brings a new icon to the top right corner of the home feed, which includes an inbox listing photos and videos that have been sent to each user. Photos can be privately sent by selecting a new option to send a "Direct" photo to one or more people. Direct photos include read receipts, along with support for commenting and likes.

instagramdirect.jpg
While photos and videos sent from followed users will appear automatically in an inbox, other Direct images from non-followed users will appear as a request that can be accepted or denied.
Along with direct photos, Instagram 5.0 also includes bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Introducing Instagram Direct!

We're excited to introduce Instagram Direct, a new way to send photo and video messages to your friends.

Now you'll see a new icon in the top right corner of your home feed. Tap it to see photos and videos that people have sent directly to you.

To send your own photos or videos, choose Direct instead of Followers once you've edited your post. When you're done editing, just choose the people you want to share with.

Today's update also includes bug fixes and performance improvements
Instagram can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Updated With 'Instagram Direct' Private Photo and Video Sharing

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Man. Just the other day I was thinking, "IF ONLY there were some way to directly send a friend a picture or video from my phone!"

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Man. Just the other day I was thinking, "IF ONLY there were some way to directly send a friend a picture or video from my phone!"

Wooo. Come on now. It wouldn't be the same without the filters now would it!

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA

Instagram is cross-platform. That's the beauty over brand or device type specific services; i.e. iMessage and text messages, respectfully.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Private ... LMAO

Does anybody in their right mind actually believe this is private?
Post PC era = end of privacy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.