Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone was the top-selling smartphone at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile for September, October and November of this year, according to Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley (via AppleInsider). We previously covered Walkley's September numbers.

The iPhone 5s, which came out in the second half of September, has proved extremely popular with customers and has only recently gotten close to a supply/demand balance.

carriersales.jpg
Before the iPhone 5s and 5c's release, Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony, and Motorola all had handsets enjoying top-three sales at at least one of America's big four carriers. Apple's September announcement pushed all but Samsung out of the picture and relegated the South Korean conglomerate's Galaxy S4 to the runner-up position across the board.

Apple has maintained a significant edge outside of the U.S. as well, even before the long-anticipated launch of the company's devices on China Mobile, the world's largest wireless carrier. The iPhone 5s was "by far the top selling smartphone...at most channels where the smartphone launched globally," Walkley notes.
Samsung's Galaxy S 4, the iPhone's chief competitor, now holds second place across all carriers with the iPhone 5c coming in third. Closer to the launch of the 5c and 5s, the 5c held second place at AT&T and Sprint.

Last year, the numbers were similar, although with different phone models. NPD claimed the iPhone 5 was the best-selling model of Q4 2012, followed by the Samsung Galaxy S III, and then the iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 models.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Top-Selling Smartphone at All U.S. Carriers, iPhone 5c Takes Third

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wow, so the 5c can't even outsell the Galaxy S4? Failure.

Or rather, good product, wrong price.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
And elsewhere around the world, where the price is significantly higher, the iPhone lags in sales.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
This just in: Two horse race has only two horses.

Report is neither surprising or unexpected. The other handset makers really need to step up their game.:eek:

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

lol, what? The 5C can't even be the number one cell phone in the world, after Apple's best cell phone? Pshaw! Failure! Apple should leave the cell phone business.

Back in reality, any comparison to how well the 4S was selling this time last year, for those curious?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I'm curious as to why you believe that a phone with technology from September 2012 should be selling better than one with tech from March of 2013.

Things improve, even within a half a year. I would expect the newer phone to be doing better. You don't?

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012

Seriously ??

Last year , by this time we would have seen any other phone instead of the 5c , many people still think the 5c was made to crush numbers , the 5c is like the Porsche cayman, less under the hood but a a great package ... I like the 5c I think it's rarer than the 5s and is something apple is doing that's a little bit different , that being said , even though I detest Samsung , I must congratulate them on building a phone that is doing well , keeping apple on its toes , being a great contender and selling loads outside their turf

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

Where is the sarcasm tag❓Seriously, it is amazing that the IPhone 5c is in third place. I guarantee this time last year, the iPhone 4S was not the third best selling phone.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I'm actually surprised. Wasn't expecting to see the 5C in a top 3, let alone in all of these top 3! Good news I guess, although I–like many others–support the fact it is highly overpriced.

paysdoufs

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Assuming that this ranking is based on units (not $$$) and looking at the numbers from T-Mobile (the only ones relevant 'cause unsusidized) one can't help but scratch one's head that the 5s comes in ahead of the 5c (probably by some margin).

I suppose even Apple expected this to be the other way round. Definitely a problem with the 5c's price, but in a good way for Apple...

Question to the US folks: Do you really buy Androids or WPs at the recommended retail price? Here in EU, the online merchants usually knock off 20-40% off the RRP pretty fast, and everyone follows suit.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'll offer my headline-writing services to the media for free:

"Mobile Bloodbath: Samsung Tramples iPhone 5C on Multiple US Carriers. Can Apple Come Back From Death?"

or

"High Sales of iPhone 5S Point Finger at Apple's Misguided Focus on High-End Models"

:p

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
And elsewhere around the world, where the price is significantly higher, the iPhone lags in sales.

Somebody can't read the article...

The iPhone 5s was "by far the top selling smartphone...at most channels where the smartphone launched globally,"

That means that in most countries where the iPhone 5s has launched, it is "by far the top selling smartphone". Android's global 'sales lead' comes largely from countries where the iPhone isn't (yet) available for sale.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
You think it actually broadened Apple's customer base? I continue to doubt it.

there have been many reports 50% of 5C users were android converts

regardless, the 5C being the 3rd best selling smartphone ahead of all other androids or windows phones means the 5C is selling well

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

It's right behind the S4 which is presumably selling in very large numbers. That implies the 5C is selling a lot too.

You could turn it around and ask why Samsung's flagship phone is struggling to barely stay ahead of Apple's second tier phone. That seems a lot more relevant a question to me.

SJism23 said:

So? Why do people always point this out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.