Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter for Mac was today updated to version 3.0, adding several new features plus a revamped look and feel to bring it more in line with the Twitter for iOS app.

The app has gained display previews for Twitter photos, along with a detailed view for Tweets that offers photos, other Tweets in the conversation, and favorite and retweet counts. Profiles have also gained a new look, with a profile banner header that includes more detailed information on each user.

twittermac.jpg
This release comes with a number of enhancements and changes.

More visual and engaging timelines
- Previews of Twitter photos will be front and center in Tweets. To see more of the photo, just click. If you want to disable previews, just go to preferences and uncheck "image previews."

Get more from Tweets
- Check out the tweet detail pane to see the conversation around a tweet as well as favorite and retweet counts.

Beautiful profiles
- Profiles now show header photos to display the unique personality of every user. Learn more about them by seeing who they follow and are followed by, their lists, and their custom timelines.

Updated design
- We've refreshed the overall look and feel of the app.
Prior to today's update, Twitter for Mac's last major update was in April of 2013 to add Retina support and improvements to photo sharing. Before that, the app went without an update for nearly two years.

Twitter for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac Gains Updated Design With Photo Previews and Revamped Profiles

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I was just wondering when they were gonna update the Mac app. Sweet!

Twitter has gotten so much better with its official clients.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Nice update! I haven't used Tweetbot for Mac but at least this update brought it much better inline with the current Twitter "experience" as well as give it a very sleek and fluid interface. :)

There's a bug here though. It'll affect people only rarely, but now when I started it up, I had an "egg" as an icon. I clicked on my profile, and was brought to a different user's profile! I saw my own timeline though. What had happened was that I had stopped using this app, changed my username, upgraded, and started using it again. Meanwhile, another user had grabbed my old username. Logging out & in again now... :p

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
One question: Does it have ads, (ahem), I mean, promoted tweets?

No issues with promoted tweets here, they've been very useful for me.

I'm glad they changed that awful 3d icon but the app itself still looks like **** compared to tweetbot.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Don't like Tweetbot on Mac, UI is too heavy and has a very exaggerated price point. Echofon is free, been using it since 2010 with no problem. Plus, it updates on searches which is invaluable to me.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So far so good. Liking the new update and redesign. Now it's more on par with it's iPhone counterpart.

Now how about finish up the work and give the iPad version the same treatment?

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
i remember when twitter bought tweetie from atebits and said they would cease updates.

i have been using it since before those days and always loved it for how simple and clean it is - perfect for personal use.

i am thankful twitter has decided that it was important to continue to update the app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Still no sync for timeline position across iPhone, iPad, Mac, and web.

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
Whoah, I saw this and the first thing I did was creating a backup of the old version and disabling auto updates… This is so ugly.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Anyone got the same problem? Every time I start Twitter it doesn't recognize it's old position and window size ... really annoying to resize it with every start :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.