Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
You haven't had good egg-nog until you've had some home-made 'nog. The consistency is lighter and flufflier, but still thickish. And it'll still clog the arteries. On special occasions my wife will make it - hasn't yet this year, maybe for New Years....

Best part is that it can go bad if you don't drink it .... so we waste-not-want-not.... it is our duty, you know.... :)

And, for the record, it's Spiced Rum in this household.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love it and as much as I like my rum, I've never had it with rum (or any booze). I won't drink it hot, it seems disgusting hot.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Seems like a really American thing, despite being lifted from Germany via England. Never heard of anyone in Ireland drinking this concoction.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Seems like a really American thing, despite being lifted from Germany via England. Never heard of anyone in Ireland drinking this concoction.
There is something in Ireland people won't drink? /cheapshot

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There is something in Ireland people won't drink? /cheapshot

An observant individual.

To answer the question asked, we, too, have our standards. Standards which must be adhered to........

Not enough alcohol in it ;-)

Yes. Believe it or not, we are a highly numerate lot. The world is rightly impressed at our poets and sundry other writers, at the bizarre but impressive number of occasions when writers from Ireland have won the Nobel Prize for Literature (quite a lot), but, but, but, strange to relate, it is a little known fact that our grasp of numeracy is equally nuanced. The percentage level of alcohol (as transcribed in Arabic numerals on a bottle) is a closely studied statistic when contemplating the purchase and subsequent consumption of an alcoholic beverage.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
New favorite for this season, Custard Nog!

mip8r4.jpg

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Oh man, this thread popped up again! I'm on vacation in a week and a half, and I think I might have to go all in this year and make some from scratch. Anyone have suggested recipes?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Oh man, this thread popped up again! I'm on vacation in a week and a half, and I think I might have to go all in this year and make some from scratch. Anyone have suggested recipes?

1. Pour a double shot of rum. Rocks or neat, your choice.

2. Two scoops of any good French Vanilla ice cream. Add ground nutmeg to taste.

3. Look at an egg, or any vaguely round or egg-shaped object.

4. Drink rum while eating ice cream.

5. If the experience is insufficiently eggnogish, increase the amount of rum until insouciance is achieved.

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I have a bottle of this from Straus Farms that have been sitting in my fridge a couple weeks. Have no compunction to drink it given how thick it is, but I will pour myself a cup tonight in an act of solidarity with this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.